Cold air intakes...

zippypooz

No way 30hp for any of the zeds no matter what CAI you get.

As veeg33 said, you'll be lucky for 5-10hp gain after a remap (uprev).

Plenum spacer seems to be the best bang for bung mod :thumbs:

I've got a mishimoto induction kit just for the deeper intake sound :p

• Like 2

Cool. Ive done all of the main mods bar headers, inc uprev...but youre right, i was finding it very hard to believe you can gain 30hp just from that...it works as a package. What did you pay for your CAI reecey?

Edited by zippypooz

Cool. Ive done all of the main mods bar headers, inc uprev...but youre right, i was finding it very hard to believe you can gain 30hp just from that...it works as a package. What did you pay for your CAI reecey?

Think mine was £179 came with a nice heat shield too, seems quite well made. The mishimoto website said gains of 11hp and 13tq on standard map but I think that's a bit of marketing bs... People seem to like the popcharger intake, think they're only £145 and they're one of the loudest ones ;)

Sounds only, probably -5-0hp. Because hotter intake temperatures. In drive i´m measuring +3-5C hotter and standstill in lights its usually 30-40C warmer temperature than stock box had.

Measurements made on -20 - 0C outside temperatures several times. Used Odb2 bluetooth dongle and Torque software for comparison.

post-29447-0-11882200-1492171885_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jontte
  • Like 1

I bought an Injen CAI about 2 months ago just because it looks good in the engine bay :lol: not expecting any gains or louder roars

my Motordyne exhaust and Art pipes are loud enough to even hear anything from the CAI so purely aesthetic :D

Seen people lose a lot of horsepower on the dyno with open filters, you have to go a long way to improve the stock airbox on most cars.

Only ones that really make a difference are the type that place the filter outside of the engine bay and then the difference is still in single figures

Cool video here

• Like 2

As previously said, open cold air intakes generally don't work. They do however make a nicer noise. If you get one that's located far enough from the engine you may see a few bhp on a cold day.

I use a mishimoto induction kit with the heat shield which at least makes some effort to stop the hot air getting in. A worthwhile spend if the benefit your wanting is a nicer intake noise, not so much of your trying to gain every last number on the dyno.

• Like 1

When you drive hard with the art pipes they make a swooshing noise so no need for an intake for extra noise haha. Stick with stock box more gains anyway by like 1bhp lol

Yeah i wasnt intending on buying a pop charger etc. The art pipes sound good enough haha...they sound awesome.

I have the Typhoon air intake on my Zed. Wanted that one because it has a box it sits in to protect from some heats oak and also has a 2nd downpipe which goes behind front grill feeding cold air directly up and into the box with intake.. so all good.. 😎

• Like 1

HKS panel filter, plenum spacer, uprev saw a 27hp gain for me.

The way it feels after, the numbers don't reflect the change in the way it drives.

I've gone a similar route. KnN panel, plenum spacer, just fitted kinetix HFC'S, just the remap to go.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Typhoon air intake on my Zed. Wanted that one because it has a box it sits in to protect from some heats oak and also has a 2nd downpipe which goes behind front grill feeding cold air directly up and into the box with intake.. so all good.. 😎

I've got the same KnN Typhoon on mine, sweet sound Too!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm going for the mishimoto air induction kit and will post the results after it's fitted.

See the graph below of my 2004 de with plenum spacer and HFC. De Blue line is with the standard paper filter and the orange line is with a panty hose. (Was just wondering what and if the standard air filter is restricting the flow)

Ps. The middle bump is a AFR of 17:1 so very lean.

post-30613-0-59084500-1496688541_thumb.jpg

Here is my home-made version similar to an EVO-R performance cold intake duct.

It connects to the standard air-box containing a high flow AEM filter.

The intake entry sits flush behind the OEM grille occupying all the space normally taken up by the left hand plastic radiator shroud which I have removed.

The top seals against foam sheet on the normal OEM bulkhead air entry.

Inspiration came from the air intakes on high performance motorcycles, taking in air from a high pressure area at the front.

IMG_2404_zpsvx8xzzzi.jpg

Fitted:

IMG_2412_zpshj0rureh.jpg

• Like 4