Turbo withdrawal

Blocko

To start with, yes there are lots of topics and I’ve searched / googled loads. Lots of the searches bring up people’s opinions but a lot of the opinions don’t appear to be based on actual experience.

I come from a mostly Turbo back ground ( 3 R33 gtst, 3 Impreza wrx, legacy GTB, Leon 1.8T, S13). I love the feel and theatre that Turbo cars offer. I was saving for an R34 GTT but opted instead for the Zed because I love the look of the car and felt at the time that 300bhp was more than adequate to last me the next 5 years after which I’m hoping to afford a new V8 Mustang. The problem is I’m already bored of the Zed’s performance. Short term I’m thinking I’ll spice it up with a clutch upgrade and a loud exhaust but this isn’t going to really scratch the itch. I think I need to decide between changing cars in a year or going FI.

I have an 07 Rev Up, mechanically standard with a full service history. It does use oil but touch wood it’s in good shape. I tried to find a good example rather than a low miler but at 94k I’m concerned about the suitability of an FI upgrade. I suppose I’ll price up the build and then do a compression test and take it from there.

I’d be hoping to keep within a 10-12k budget, which from researching seems feasible as long as I keep the boost low.

I’ll eventually get to my questions. And that is which system do I plan for, and more specifically which one and where to buy from.

1. Supercharger.

I have no experience of these. I think I’d prefer a turbo but research suggests this is the best bolt on option in terms of set up and reliability.

2. Twin Turbo

This is easily my preferred option but also looks the dearest. And which set up. Most of the options seem to be in the states. The APS looks good but seems to be discontinued?

3. Rear Mount

I’d never even heard of this type of set up until I started googling but the STS system does look like it might be the best fit for me. The complete kit is less than £4k and looks like I can probably even install it myself. Anyone on here running this? I have a few concerns due to its location. Mainly the state that it might end up in, clearance and I’ve heard about issues with the oil feed. If I was to go for a Cobra exhaust now, along with an uprev would I later get compatibility issues with this set up?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help set me off in the right direction.

Ultimately it depends on what you want from the driving experience. If you want a pin-sharp throttle then the SC is your choice, if you want the big thump in the back then go turbo.

Rear mount turbo kits introduce a considerable amount of extra air to the charge pipe that needs to be compressed before you'll make any boost, so these will add a good deal of lag to the system. I'd happily drive a turbo car, but I'd never consider a rear mount one for this reason alone. In my experience, even removing a foot of charge pipeworks makes a big difference, so you can imagine what adding a couple of meters will do.

Personally in your shoes I wouldn't spunk £10K on a turbo setup, I'd be chopping in for a Mustang instead.

Unless you are absolutely dead keen on the idea of doing it yourself so to speak, i would just buy one done although you may struggle to find a turbo'd one.

I also came from a turbo background and had a great two years in a zed then just decided i fancied going fi'd, i had never tried a supercharger so being as they were a lot more available on 350's i bought one done and i dont regret the fact it wasnt a turbo one bit. I would recommend trying to get a willing member to take you for a spin in one as i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Curious you want a Mustang being na, you might find yourself in the same boat.

• Like 1

Most write ups actually don't see too much of a lag issue with the rear mount.

I don't think I'd get a predone one. If I sell I'd probably get something already turbo'd from the factory.

Jet pilot you may well be right about the stang, I've not been in one yet but I've always loved them and now that they are rhd I do really like the idea. And there no saying I can't FI that too ðŸ˜

I'll keep my eye out for someone to take me out in their sc

They may choose not to mention the extra lag, but simple physics dictates that lag must be higher with more charge pipework. Or maybe they're happy to drive round the issues? Don't know, each to their own on that one.

Most write ups actually don't see too much of a lag issue with the rear mount.

I don't think I'd get a predone one. If I sell I'd probably get something already turbo'd from the factory.

Jet pilot you may well be right about the stang, I've not been in one yet but I've always loved them and now that they are rhd I do really like the idea. And there no saying I can't FI that too 😊

I'll keep my eye out for someone to take me out in their sc

The new one comes out next year, so may as well wait for that.

I drove one twice. I loved it the first time, was excited and enjoyed it. Then the 2nd time I took it out with the GF to be more objective.... needless to say, I don't drive one.

The clutch was crap - no feel. The brakes would put you through the windscreen if you even glance at then funny - over boosted IMO. I don't know I just didn't seem to like it the 2nd time out. Found it all a bit sloppy. Gearbox wasn't great cause I found it a bit loose and wobbly, and it really does not feel like a 400+ BHP car, felt lethargic. Ride was a bit wallowy for where I went, but it might just be the roads were too smooth hahaha

What I'm saying is drive it once, then think about it for a while, make a list of what the car HAS to have/do then go drive it again and look for these points. Also, its a big car. like seriously feels big coming from a 350z to that

Either way mustang is a few years off. I'm not ready to spend 40k (getting married in November) so really I'm looking to FI the zed to hopefully satisfy me for 4-5 years until I can afford something new.