My tyres and wheels have arrived. Now im scared!

celiabaker

Well now you mention it... ;) ;) ;)

Nah, they're okay, certainly much better than the 452 they replaced. Be interested to see your car once the wheels are on, don't think I've seen JR7s on a Zed :)

Will fit fine I ran that set up but with jr3 and a 275 in the rear

Also Dan is being over protective if it was 225 and 235 he would have a point,

But with the large width I don't think you will have a problem, I would still go to 255/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear as it was easily the most enjoyable set up I have ran from an enthusiastic driving point

Getting 265/275 to break lose requires some rather aggressive inputs

Yes will defo be putting pics up once they are fitted. Also got a few other mods on the go so stay tuned ;)

There's a few reason why I definitely don't want it anymore ass ended then it already is. I'm a inexperienced RWD owner, my other cars have been FWD Hondas and Peugeots with the maximum power of 170hp.

Also few years back I had a really bad car crash (my fault, I ran out of talent) I rolled the car and its knocked my confidence.

My Zed has snapped at me a couple times (maybe because my tyres aren't that wide?), I'm still learning how it drive it properly. Maybe I need some track lessons! ;) ;) ;)

Edited by celiabaker

Well now you mention it... ;) ;) ;)

Nah, they're okay, certainly much better than the 452 they replaced. Be interested to see your car once the wheels are on, don't think I've seen JR7s on a Zed :)

Will fit fine I ran that set up but with jr3 and a 275 in the rear

But with the large width I don't think you will have a problem, I would still go to 255/40/18 front and 275/40/18 rear as it was easily the most enjoyable set up I have ran from an enthusiastic driving point

Getting 265/275 to break lose requires some rather aggressive inputs

Yes will defo be putting pics up once they are fitted. Also got a few other mods on the go so stay tuned ;)

There's a few reason why I definitely don't want it anymore ass ended then it already is. I'm a inexperienced RWD owner, my other cars have been FWD Hondas and Peugeots with the maximum power of 170hp.

Also few years back I had a really bad car crash (my fault, I ran out of talent) I rolled the car and its knocked my confidence.

My Zed has snapped at me a couple times (maybe because my tyres aren't that wide?), I'm still learning how it drive it properly. Maybe I need some track lessons! ;) ;) ;)

At the end of the day, the most important thing is tyres. Thats whats keeping you on the road. If youre not confident just take is easy. Its a pretty stable car and handling is fab!
  • Like 1

So a 20mm stagger then :p

I run 275s on mine, I agree that it's not massively easy to break traction in the dry but in the wet it's very easy to do. Wider tyres means more aquaplaning.

then dont drive like a tool in the wet ;)

• Like 1

The wheels are going to be a nice aggressive fit, you may need arches rolled, but they'll be fine. don't undervalue what the guys are saying about tyre sizes, especially as someone who DOES use the traction control. The reason it bit you in the past, even with the traction control ON, is because you were using the wrong size tyres and the car was allowing a fair amount more slip before cutting in. The stock difference front and rear is 2.7% larger on the rear, the traction control is programmed to work properly based on that. So if you REDUCE the percentage difference, you'll get more slip before TC cutting in, and if you INCREASE significantly more than that, the TC will be intruding a lot more, potentially even when going in a straight line. This does seem to vary from car to car, with many saying they have a square setup (no difference front/rear diameter), and do not have any issues (seems weird to me). Though I suspect that they are drivers who are turning the TC off anyway. Take back those rears and get 275s. ;)

• Like 1

We're gonna need pics asap!!!!

The wheels are going to be a nice aggressive fit, you may need arches rolled, but they'll be fine. don't undervalue what the guys are saying about tyre sizes, especially as someone who DOES use the traction control. The reason it bit you in the past, even with the traction control ON, is because you were using the wrong size tyres and the car was allowing a fair amount more slip before cutting in. The stock difference front and rear is 2.7% larger on the rear, the traction control is programmed to work properly based on that. So if you REDUCE the percentage difference, you'll get more slip before TC cutting in, and if you INCREASE significantly more than that, the TC will be intruding a lot more, potentially even when going in a straight line. This does seem to vary from car to car, with many saying they have a square setup (no difference front/rear diameter), and do not have any issues (seems weird to me). Though I suspect that they are drivers who are turning the TC off anyway. Take back those rears and get 275s. ;)

275's...spot on.

Yes I am just in the process of getting them returned.

Will definitely be putting up pictures as soon as they are on. Going to try and get my fronts tyres fitted today and see what they look like while I'm sorting my rears out!

Ive also got a lip,side diffusers, spats and a spoiler to be fitted and painted, I'm also going to make a front diffuser to go under my lip so I'm hoping that and new wheels I will be happy with it!

Yes will defo listen to you guys on here, I will silly not to post before I ordered.

Hoping to have the car ready and make it to JDM day at Combe. I will be with JDM Garage UK and would be great to meet a few people from here!

• Like 1

Actually she is currently running the correct factory sized tyres for 17" wheels.

• Like 1

Id put money on the fact that even with the original tyre sizes the only difference you would notice is more grip, youre using newer, wider tyres. If you regularly drove on track you might notice slightly different behaviour but its hardly going to spit you into a ditch under normal circumstances.

Unnecessary tyre paranoia is a recurring issue too often on this forum IMO.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 4

275 is the 'standard' size upgrade but remember to drop the side wall from 40 to 35 or they will look like bloody great donuts. Think I'm right in saying this?

On 18s?? Don't think so

12028835_10206574911985251_4444183248939999396_o.jpg?oh=eb41a83b265dda29e71cc31d4be293b7&oe=5994C217

Edited by StevoD

Unnecessary tyre paranoia is a recurring issue too often on this forum IMO.

+ a million

Agreed!!!!!

I am more than a little surprised to be reading people saying 'don't worry about tyre sizes being absolutely correct'. What works and what doesn't is certainly up for debate, but getting the sizes as close to stock as possible is a mathematical proposition, required for the safety of the car as Nissan intended it, and not difficult. So especially for a young lady who admits to not being completely confident without effective TCS turned on, the best advice is to run sizes to be as close to Nissan spec as possible for road use. Advising anything else to someone who relies on others for this kind of advice, is rather irresponsible in my view, especially when what is correct is documented, failsafe, and easy to achieve.

I might be wrong and happy to be corrected but I think the above comments were more aimed at the idea that if you do not buy premium range topping tyres you are going to die very soon either in a blaze of fire or upside down in a ditch ;)

• Like 2