headlights yellowing...

Evil-C

I've noticed my headlight are starting to develop a slight yellow tint to them. i know there are a few products to remedy this, but does anyone have one that would recommend? tia :)

Just to confirm, is this on a 370?

Firstly try out whatever polishing/abrasive products you already have using a foam or microfiber pad.

You can even use toothpaste :lol:

Mask around to protect the paint.

Polish away.

Then you can protect the surface from UV with a dedicated coating like Gtechniq C4 etc, or wax until you get some more resilient coating.

If you have a polishing machine it will be much faster.

Sealing the headlights after whatever method you choose to restore them is the only real effective way to keep them maintained. You cam go balls to the wall like I did and have them clearcoated at the bodyshop, only cost me £50 quid and they'll last. Will happily say mine look better then when they left the factory!

^^ as above, all home remedy will only last a few months, max 10-12 months and you'll have to repeat again. Best is to get them done by a bodyshop. They'll lightly sand down and apply a layer of clear coat usually they are UV protected as well. This should cost around £40 to £60 for both and will last 2-3 year minimum (depends on the clear coat they use). I uses the Maguiar's Headlight restoration kit and finish with few coats of Turtle Wax ICE wax paste for UV protection. Last about 7-8 months before i need to repeat. £20 for the kit, £15 for the wax, FOC for labour (around 1 hour). Still works out cheaper compared to bodyshop

Edit: The kit I used was the older kit (sand down and polish), newer kit seems better --> http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/clay-bars-detailing-products/meguiars-2-step-headlight-kit

Edited by veeg33

Loads of kits around and in my experience all as good and as bad as each other.Used t cut on my 350z when I had it with a polishing mop on a drill and it came out pretty dam good.Key is sealing it after.Will creep back in time though..