Knocking noise from front

Nikster

Hi,

I bought a 2008 350Z on Saturday with 71k. The seller did day he thinks there might be a bush going on the front left as it knocks a bit on bumps

I've been driving it around tge last 2 days and haven't noticed anything. Even over speed bumps.

However going down down the cobble stone Road to work this morning it seems to knock from both fronts. I checked everything and seems fine I only noticed the drop links can be turned (rotated side to side) could this be a issue

Edited by Nikster

Probably compression arm bushes buddy, if they are gone the arm sits on the sub frame and knocks when you hit a bump.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Ive had a look and it's fine, I heard thats a common fault so its the first thing I checked

Probably compression arm bushes buddy, if they are gone the arm sits on the sub frame and knocks when you hit a bump.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Ive had a look and it's fine, I heard thats a common fault so its the first thing I checked

Could be the ball joint on the other end of the arm though. Not easy to tell. If they've not been done yet it's surely those. Does it stop when you apply the break?

Edited by Hayd350
  • Like 1

I read the post and I haven't tried braking while doing it I'll try that tomorrow. Could be the balljoint :/

Maintain speed whilst left foot braking over the cobbles ... if the knock stops then it's the compression rod ball joint ... just change the complete banana bar for a solution

• Like 1

I read the post and I haven't tried braking while doing it I'll try that tomorrow. Could be the balljoint :/

Aftermarket arms are readily available through traders on here anyway so no big deal these days. All standard issues most of us have experienced.

• Like 1

My Z seems to have the same issue on the passenger side. I did the brake test and the rattle went away :/

I will be picking up a pair of arms and either getting my local garage to do it, or having a go myself. If you're replacing the whole arm rather than just the bushing, is it a difficult job for driveway spannering? I installed coilovers on my old MX-5 and replaced brakes etc. Just wanted to check I won't get out of my depth before dismantling everything :lol:

Following with interest, I seem to have the exact same knocking issue that has cropped up over the last few days. Seem to be coming from the front offside and seems to reduce a little when braking while maintaining speed, but does not disappear completely.

I'm thinking time for a new pair of control arms / banana bars (ARB drop links have been changed recently), I assume this is the part I require:

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=12895&cat=87⊂=120&sec=963&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Cheers in advance!

• Like 1

Following with interest, I seem to have the exact same knocking issue that has cropped up over the last few days. Seem to be coming from the front offside and seems to reduce a little when braking while maintaining speed, but does not disappear completely.

I'm thinking time for a new pair of control arms / banana bars (ARB drop links have been changed recently), I assume this is the part I require:

https://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=12895&cat=87⊂=120&sec=963&var=38&dc=0&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

Cheers in advance!

That's a cheap price ... be careful, IMO it's best to buy genuine Nissan from Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to getting this issue sorted. I've been under the car and couldn't find anything obvious amiss re front suspension. My plan of attack was going to be.........fit a new pair pair of banana arms and be done with it. However, I thought I would just get my local mechanic to have a butchers up on the ramp. He located a very small amount of play in the n/s inner tie rod (steering rack end jobbie). I wasn't convinced based on what I have read about tricky banana arms causing 'hard to diagnose' knocks, but hey presto, it was the inner tie rod banging away. I got the garage to replace it (£11 part) and can now enjoy my Z again.

Hope this helps someone who is trying to track down an annoying knock :-)

• Like 1