2010 VW Beetle - Crash / Write off

Commander

The Mrs was driving her 2010 Beetle down a local A road yesterday and a driver in the opposite direction turned across my Mrs' lane at VERY short notice and seemingly no idea my Mrs was coming. My Mrs doing ~50mph downhill, other car doing ~15mph uphill.

The other driver realised their mistake as soon as they'd done it, but instead of putting their foot down to get out the way, they stopped. My Mrs braked and swerved but too little too late given how/when the other car turned, and the front passenger side quarters of the cars hit; the Beetle spun round 180 degrees post impact. All the airbags went off in both cars. Emergency Assist feature in the other car (1 series BMW) called the police and ambulance automatically.

Both cars held up well and no visible intrusion in to the passenger space, though the passenger door on the VW wouldn't open. Crumple zones on both cars were very crumpled, alloy wheels, suspension and steering components destroyed on both cars.

Mrs has bruises from the seat belts and airbags, and on her knees from being banged around in the footwell during the spin, but otherwise she will be ok. The car is a write-off.

Fortunately I put some Michelins on it to replace the ditchfinders it came with; if she wasn't able to scrub off as much speed as she did in the small amount of time/space available (we're talking 1-2 seconds for all of this event) I think it would have been a lot worse.

Drive safe (defensively!) people; the idiots are out there everywhere.

Sorry to hear about this mate, just glad your other half is okay :thumbs:

Good point the tyres, it's exactly situations like this that enforce the point about getting the best, not just whatever fits and is ok. Like you say, could well have made the difference between a relatively happy ending and a dreadful one here.

Glad everyone's ok mate. Those beetle's are actually tough, it's inherent to the egg shape. Bet the other car was much worse off.

Opportunity for the missus to get a real car now? :lol: (sorry, couldn't resist, if she likes it, fair play to her!!).