Elise S2 111r vs SC

Zeezeebaba

With one of my kids now 19 and the other not far behind I'm finally in a position to get seriously impractical about my cars again. I've always wanted an Elise but could never justify running two cars until now. My budget will be just south of 27k so I'm looking at the Toyota engined S2 variants.

I do plan to test drive a few but beforehand I just wanted to ask if anyone has driven both the 111r and the SC and if so does the SC make a huge difference in the driving experience. I've driven the 111r on a track day and in my opinion it's adequate in the power stakes and I can't really see the point in a more powerful version unless it transforms the experience. I'm guessing the SC just gives you a little more lower down the Rev range and is less peaky?

Thoughts welcomed :)

If you plan on doing a lot of track work, you'll want the SC. The extra power is very much welcomed on the straights where the R gets a little breathless.

As a weekend fun toy, I much prefer the R. You have to work the gearbox and engine more, but that adds to the pleasure rather than detracting from it. With the SC on the road, you either end up using one gear and the higher torque to propel you or you go so quickly that losing your licence is a real possibility.

I'd rather get an R and spend the extra on some Exige seats or Nitrons than get an SC, personally.

• Like 1

Haha no more kids for me I want my selfish hobbies back ;)

Good. You've got past the knee-jerk explanation for being broke which goes...

"You don't even know!!! I love my kids and I would never change what happened, you haven't got kids so maybe you should just grow up!!!!"

Followed sooner or later by..

"I'm so fed up. All I do is work. I come home and carry on. Why can't I have a bit of money and time to myself. All I do is look after other people"

"Gaz, I'm going to have another kid!!"

Repeat.

If its just a weekend toy then don't discount a k series elise. Spend around £15k for a mint one and you won't lose much if any money over the next few years. I sold my 2005 111S at christmas for what I paid for it 4 years ago.

Well I tried a 111r today with the probak seats. It was probably the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in and just my luck the ideal seat position was between the two latches on the runners. Not happy, but I'm going to persevere and research different seating options.

Well I tried a 111r today with the probak seats. It was probably the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat in and just my luck the ideal seat position was between the two latches on the runners. Not happy, but I'm going to persevere and research different seating options.

I had the std seats in Vx220 and must admit i found them a little hard (no probax padding) around the lower back and top of bum, i swapped out for these, http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/corbeau-le-pro1-lotus-racing-seat/prod_836.html and its a marked improvement, there isnt much more padding but they sit with a bit of a recline so position was better too, they are apparently the same shells as the Vxr and 340r seats.

According to the forums the Tillets and Reverie are also more comfortable, hope that helps, p.s dont listen to Mr Normally arspirated, get some supercharger action going, its a blast :)

I've driven both the R and SC and actually made an offer on a SC ( 1k under what the dealer wanted ) but wasn't excepted. These were both on my short list ..... and I came to the conclusion that it was just to hardcore for me as a weekend /sunny day car ! It rattle like mad , rock hard suspension and even the sc didn't feel that fast ! The build quality was horrendous on them and i just couldn't live with the fibreglass and worries of damage /repairs .

I know you've had an s2k before but might be worth a look at again . Going up in value , cheap to run, with a few mods can be a little weapon and a lot better road going car than the Elise's imo

The Z felt like a luxury car on the way home :)

I still want the Elise, thanks for the info regarding seats JP.

I will always hold the S2k in high regards but I rarely go back to a previous car.

I may SC the car at a later stage but it's not about outright speed for me these days and the car today had plenty of grunt to keep me busy. The gearbox needed working above 6k rpm but it was damn good fun.

• Like 1

Someone I know has just gone from an elise to an Alfa 4c, they're going for about £50k. I was surprised to be honest I thought they were more.

I too like the idea of a car which weighs nothing, iv never driven an elise so I have absolutely no input. But I'd love a go in one!

I had a go in an aerial atom and I can only imagine it's similar, but with a roof.