Problem with my other car.....

nixy

I've got a fiat 500 which is only two and a half years old with approx 16k on the clock and still under warranty. It's got an issue whereby the engine light comes on and it goes into limp mode - always when pulling out of a junction, traffic lights etc. Yesterday it did it as I was crossing an extremely busy A road which could have been disastrous as I struggled to get across. Anyway, long story short - booked into Fiat dealer and they have said that I will have to pay per hour for diagnostic testing even though my car is under warranty. I will only get this back if it turns out there is 'work' that needs to be done. Does that sound right? And if they decide an engine reset or something similar needs to be done does that constitute warranty work? I'm a bit fed up about this as I would expect with a new car to not have to part with a penny for something like this!

That sounds like standard policy otherwise anyone with a warranty would get a diagnosis done for free even if there wasn't an issue. Assuming the part that is broken / fault is not cited as wear and tear or expressly mentioned as not being covered under the warranty, then it should be replaced / fixed as such.

• Like 1

If the EML has illuminated there will be a fault code present,whether it be current or historical.

I cannot really understand why they would want paying,the car is under warranty and thats the end of it.

You can fault code read a Fiat 500 in literally 5 mins,and thats a scan of all systems,not just drivetrain...

£100 is ridiculous.

What part of Yorkshire are you in ?

If the EML has illuminated there will be a fault code present,whether it be current or historical.

I cannot really understand why they would want paying,the car is under warranty and thats the end of it.

You can fault code read a Fiat 500 in literally 5 mins,and thats a scan of all systems,not just drivetrain...

£100 is ridiculous.

What part of Yorkshire are you in ?

Not quite as simple as that. What if the fault was caused by something outside of the warranty? Or via neglect / abuse? I've had a few spins on track which have thrown a CEL or 2. Why would a garage investigate and clear these free of charge? Just a quick example. This certainly isn't uncommon and the OP will not have to pay if the issue is covered.

Tracking a car shouldnt cause the EML to come on..

£100 to check the fault codes is scandalous,and should only be charged if neglect can be proven.

Im a automotive diagnostic technician myself,so work in the trade daily and the main dealer strategy of charging for diag in warranty is just plain wrong.