CAT Driver Training with 350z-uk.com

Stutopia

For a while now I've been looking to do some driver training to find out at just exactly how many tenths I can drive. It's probably 10, but in case it isn't, I've been asking about tuition. One name keeps popping up - CAT. Accordingly, I've been in contact with Jo at CAT Driver Training to see if we could do something for the forum.

We had a long a productive chat and Jo's passion for this work shines right through, a genuine enthusiasm for both driving and the training and also what CAT believe is a unique way of going about the training. Just so you know how close to our own hearts CAT are, they run a 350Z as one of their teaching vehicles - and that's not even the best bit...

Background on CAT Driver Training

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad. Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction. Not to mention development work with Nissan on the 350Z for Europe very B) I'm sure you'll agree. Colin is also certificated to instruct at Millbrook, his life has been spent working with his passion: motor cars - from racing Minis to the race preparation of performance cars. He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.

To give you an idea of the size of the Milbrook Facility.

IMG_2350.JPG

What exciting options have we got then?

Jo has kindly sent me the detailed info of what they can offer, I've copied most of this below and chopped it down a touch. The full PDF can be found at the foot of this post. We've not signed up for anything yet, the purpose of this thread is to find out if there is enough demand on the forum to make it happen. I hope you're going to be as excited as I am. This is not just getting an experienced co-pilot to give you some pointers for a few laps, Jo stressed to me the grounding in engineering they provide which helps you understand what's happening to the car, not just how to react to it.

1) Performance Driver Track Day

An action-packed day run by CAT Driver Training Ltd at Millbrook Proving Ground. The day is a fast-moving experience for 6 owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving. It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun. The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly-personalised environment. There is access to the 5 unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for 'track days' and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:

- Learn threshold braking from high speed on the Mile Straight

- High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the High Speed Circuit

- Drive the demanding Alpine Route circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping

- Take on the tight, twisty and challenging Handling Circuit

- Put a car through its paces on the open spaces of the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron

An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with. Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control. From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at grip limit within the controlled confines of a track environment. At the end of the day, your new-found skills can be put to the test in a timed shoot out around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron.

Though this is 'Track Day' in name the skills learned and developed during the seasion will stand you in good stead on the road as well. Drivers looking to improve their all round ability will benefit as much as those want to shave seconds off lap times.

Included in the day are:

- Professional in car tuition

- Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground

- Lunch and refreshments during the day

- Timed end of day shoot out

- Full emergency services on hand all day

- 1 hour 40 minutes driving time with your personal instructor

Performance Driver 'Track' Day Schedule

08:30-09:15 Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Objectives of the Day

09:30-09:35 Drive to Circuits

09:30-11:00 Mile Straight

11:00-11:50 High Speed Circuit

11:50-13:15 Handling Circuit

13:15-14:00 Lunch

14:00-15:00 Alpine Route

15:00-15:45 Understeer/Oversteer

15:45-16:45 Gymkhana timed Shoot Out on the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron

16:55 Presentation & Debrief

Any Questions

End

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity.

Members Pricing

3 participating members = £445 pp

4 participating members = £420 pp

6 participating members = £400 pp

Link to the CAT site here

2) Cornering Masterclass Day

Enjoyed the Performance Driver 'Track' Day and would like to progress to the next stage advancing your skills further? Or perhaps you're not getting the most from your track days, and would like to hone your performance driving skills in a safe and challenging environment?

Through presentations and demonstrations in our cars, and nurtured training sessions in your car our instructors will guide you through a structured, fun and exciting training experience, dissecting the cornering process to a professional level. Polarised training designed to galvanise the relationship between minimised driver input and vehicle stability, with presentations in advanced vehicle dynamics and motor industry exercises designed to challenge both you and your car.

A full day experience for you and your car:

- Professional in car tuition

- Access to your favourite circuits

- Professional motor industry training exercises

- Lunch and refreshments throughout the day

- Full emergency services on hand all day

- Exclusive facilities

- 1 hours 40 mins driving time with your personal instructor

Members Price £420 per person

The group size is for a maximum of 6 owners

3) Drifting & Over Grip Limit Handling

Learn the secrets of over limit handling using your car and our Caterham 7. A 5.5 hour experience for 4 owners covering the building blocks of vehicle control at grip limit. A fast-moving sideways experience. Designed to build on the skills learnt on the Performance and Cornering Masterclass club days or as an introduction to the techniques of over grip limit driving for the novice, our instructors will tailor the training to your level of experience. Understand and practice the building blocks of over grip limit driving. It is not just nailing the accelerator and relying on instinct. A drift is the culmination of many core skills polarized into one extreme exercise. All explained and demonstrated by your instructor and practiced by you.

Enjoy the challenge of our very sideways Caterham, and experience the dynamic characteristics and capability of your own car as it realises its true potential at grip limit. Invaluable information for those owners wanting to maximise its potential and enjoyment of their car on track.

Your training session will include presentations on:

- Understeer

- Oversteer

- Lift Off Oversteer

- Roll Oversteer

- Weight Transfer at Turn In

- Tyre Grip Trade Off

- Identifying Grip Limit

- Breaking Traction

Your training will include an experience of a wetted as well as a dry surface on the Steering Pad at the Millbrook Proving Ground. There will also be a bottle of Champagne for the best Drifting God on the day.

Members Price £420 per person

The group size is 4 owners

Link to the CAT site here

Notes

The club days described here are to use your own car, not CAT vehicles. with the exception described in the Drift session.

Caterham 7 Specific

Minimum/maximum height 5 ft 0 / 6 ft 4

Maximum weight of 18 stone

Noise Limits

...to quote "there is no limit unless you are a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car". If anyone thinks they can compete at that level on noise, be sure to mention it when booking!

Insurance

Because I'm a bit of a soft lad who worries about scratches and the like, I did ask Jo about insurance cover. Now Jo did stress to me CAT's excellent record, but if I was determined to get insurance, then Ryan Motorsport have previously provided cover for the day. If anyone else is interested I'll gather the details on this and share as and when.

Potential Dates

We're only in the sounding out stage at the minute, so nothing is nailed on. Provisionally we'd be trying for a date in June (if you could accommodate mid-week dates) or July if we need a weekend date for the Performance session. The Drift days is very provisional due to who much demand there is to use facilities of this calibre.

Are You Up For It?

We need the numbers to make it work, but at the same time, please only put your name down if you are serious about getting involved. If we get the groups together I'll be asking for sizeable deposits up front to secure our sessions. If demand outstrips places I'll see if we can change/swap the mix of days or add additional days.

CAT Club Training.pdf

• Like 1

The current plan:

Drift Day - Saturday May 20th - 2 places max

Two spaces

The Drift days are harder to organise due to needing availability of the Steering Pad facility at Millbrook. This day would be with two people from other clubs. If this day fills up or is not convenient, the next one will not be until around September/October.

Cornering Masterclass Day - Saturday June 3rd - 2 places max

Two spaces

It does come with a caveat that it won’t be 100% confirmed as a Cornering Masterclass for another two weeks, this means it might end up being a Performance Driver Day. Again, due to needing the Steering Pad facility at Milbrook, if you can't make this, the next one will not be until around September/October.

Performance Driver Days

Saturday 3rd June - 2 places max

Provisionally reserved for:

Two spaces

Wednesday 19th July - 6 places max

Paddy78

G1en

mouthwash

Woodzman

Aesti

AndyJames

Alternative dates for this group are Tuesday 18th July or Monday 24th July.

Saturday 22nd July - 6 places max

SuperStu

Wasso

Will370z

Nissanman312

GeorgeB

grumpyoldjanner

If anyone is interested in the spare slots, please PM me.

On the bench: Flex, Jay84, Gudzy.

Performance Driver Day please - depending on dates I could do a mid week.

Edit: Just read the first post properly and I'm on holiday for 2 weeks in June. Defo still up for it if it doesn't clash.

Edited by Paddy78

I took part in a Performance day last year in my GTR and I cannot recommend this course highly enough

I have a fair amount of competition experience but still felt I learned a great deal from the day not only about the performance of the car but about my own performance and the Gymkhana at the end of the day is an absolute hoot!

There is very little "standing around", the various teaching events in the day are logical and build on each other nicely.

Added bonus for me was "Driver of the Day" award!

David

• Like 2

Please register your interest and I'll update this list.

Please also indicate next to your name if you can provisionally consider a midweek (MW) date or need a weekend (WE).

Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day

1 SuperStu – MW or WE - June or July

2 Nissanman312 - WE - July

3 Wasso - WE

4 Will370z - WE

5 Paddy - WE - July

6 Gudzy - MW or WE

7 Beb - WE

8 andy james MW or WE July

Cornering Masterclass Day

Drifting & Over Grip Limit Handling

1 Beb - WE

If the number of availabe slots available runs out, please do still add a number and your name so we can judge the demand for potential additional days.

Please post up any questions you have an I'll do my best either answer them or aggregate them up and speak to Jo.

Yes. Stick me down for option 1 please. Its my birthday this weekend so have just convinced the family to all put towards. midweek or weekend is fine. The only caviat i have is my wife is due to give birth to our baby boy on 28th July so obviously i may be forced with a late problem if it coincides.

On mobile so would be grateful if someone could add me to the list.

• Like 2

Thanks for the excellent feedback, I'm even more sold than I was.

Any more before I go back to CAT?

Just one drift king out there?

Even more keyboard drifters than I thought :stir:

I spoke to Georgeb the other day

He bought Joshes old car the superchargerd hr

He said he was keen but I know he's not on here much

I'll get him to chime in

• Like 1

I'll get him to chime in

Any word?

I'll get him to chime in

Any word?

I'll chase him up now

Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day

1 SuperStu – MW or WE - June or July

2 Nissanman312 - WE - July