How much would you be happy to pay for all of this work?

colesl4w

Hi all,

I have just treated my Z to a fairly substantial amount of work, and am excited about picking it up tonight. I supplied all materials and have been given the total for labour. I'm just interested to see how much you would expect to pay for the following list, so I can get an idea of how fairly this guy is charging.

The list is:

- Airbag light inspection and repair (diagnostics, identifying the problem by taking out the spiral cable, identifying corrosion in a connector, cleaning it, resetting the light)

- Diff oil replace

- Engine oil replace

- Oil filter replace

- Coolant replace

- Fitting Goodridge brake lines

- Brake fluid replace

- Spark plug replace

- Gearbox oil replace

- Air filter replace

- sidelight bulb replace

How much would you expect to have paid for all that labour?

Thanks!

Thats a hard one -

I would say between £450 - £1000 in labour the problem being the airbag light if that turns out to be the problematic conection under the passenger seat then it's a 5 minute fix if he is plugging in diagnostic equipment and testing everything it could take a day just to fine the problem so it's very hard to say how long it took and therfore how much it would cost/be worth.

EDIT - Not far apart then Dan - but you got there first :rant:

Edited by Keyser

Got my car booked in at JM Imports for the end of the week.

Ive bought all the fluids and parts for the following work.

Enging oil and filter change.

Aux belts to replace.

Spark plug change.

Coolant change.

Gearbox and diff oil change.

Brake and clutch fluid change.

Check brakes.

Give the car a full check over.

Quote is £350/£400.

Full days work at £50.00 an hour.

Then it going in to have the wheels powder coated on Monday. That's another £300!

Expensive couple of weeks! but that should be it sorted for a while.

Edited by NEroadster

Thanks for the responses, I got charged £250 for all that, so I'm definitely happy to see it's not above what you guys would expect!

Thats certainly cheap, especially with the spark plugs because they could take a bit of time on their own if you haven't done them a number of times before. Where was this?

Thanks for the responses, I got charged £250 for all that, so I'm definitely happy to see it's not above what you guys would expect!

Thats certainly cheap, especially with the spark plugs because they could take a bit of time on their own if you haven't done them a number of times before. Where was this?

He works for Nissan but does evening jobs. Really knowledgeable guy that seems to know the cars inside and out. He has told me things about the Z I have never heard anywhere else. One example is he mentioned there can be water in the bottom of the fuse box. Right enough, opens mine up, water.

• Like 2

£250 is almost worryingly cheap. Still, can't argue with quality for the price :)

Sounds like cash in hand, so not unreasonable.

Yes cash in hand! He had it for quite a few evenings so I don't think he rushed the job. Fingers crossed! He gave me a really detailed overview of everything he found with the airbag issue too.

• Like 1

Ha, and I was going to say about 250 quid but was afraid I would be ridiculed for being out of touch (to be fair, I haven't had any work done on a car in the UK for 15 years!)

Over here I wouldn't pay more than 200 euro for all that, but labour is cheaper.

• Like 1

Well I was quoted £269 at Nissan dealer for

- Diff oil replace

- Engine oil replace

- Oil filter replace

- Coolant replace

- Brake fluid replace

- Spark plug replace- Plugs at extra charge

- Gearbox oil replace

- Air filter replace

So id say your price is very cheap

Edited by Willsy1980

Which is ironic, since everyone seems to think that taking a car to Nissan is pointless because their techs don't know anything ;):lol:

This guy sounds well above average with his Zed knowledge, and the long waiting list for his own work, also suggests that he's not a Nissan Tech that struggles with an oil change and is just working for a pay packet. His long waiting list would soon shrink if his work was of poor quality. :shrug: