350z restoration bodyshop recommendations

KUGT4

By the sounds of it they have been cutting corners mate, i'd approach them to pay for the damage. It will only get worse and will crack the glass soon.

Sounds like they have gone through the paint when removing the old screen and not followed the industry guidelines when re-fitting.

You potentially have a claim on legal grounds too, the bonded screen is crucial in design for structure and for directing the passenger airbag. The mistakes 'could' cause death.

100% worth fixing

Who fitted it ?

If you can get a industry leader in body glass (Autoglass etc) to confirm the refit was sub standard then you have grounds for a claim. If it was Autoglass who did it, don't say anything until they have inspected it.

They should be able to tell if the correct procedure was adhered to.

I used to work for the RAC doing glass, so skipping all the pre removal/install check bits. Once the glass is out and the bond has been cut back, if there are any areas where bare metal shows it MUST be etch primed, then primed with the pre bond primer. Skipping either of those and you neck was on the line. If they didn't prime correctly it will rust and the bond fails. If there was an issue after you did the work and it was proven you didn't follow the process you were liable for damages if it went to court. Most are settled before it gets there (I never had one btw)

I'd say it's certainly worth looking into if it saves you the best part of £2000 in repairs.

• Like 1

never thought about raising the issue with the original fitter

assumed it was too long since the previous fitting ie 3 years+

need to confirm the fitter used, but iirc the one i used has a guarantee for the life of the vehicle

Edited by KUGT4

advised to raise with insurance company under "reasonable care/skill" as they asked 3rd party windscreen fitters to undertake

anybody gone through this situation?

Edited by KUGT4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, lost track of this one.

Not had any experience with what they have suggested, surely that is a claim from your own insurance though ?

Who advised you raise it with the insurance under "Reasonable care/Skill" ? As that is the grounds for the original fitter to cover the costs. That is the primary cause of your issue.

The insurance company subcontracted the fitter - assuming thats the logic

TBH nobody appears to have done this before...

...so I'm just going to try and get the rust patched up and hopefully keep it on the road for a couple more years

...and keep my eye out next time my windscreen is swapped over

If your not going to pursue the claim, i'd just find a decent bodyshop and get the glass out. If the rust isn't too far gone then it can probably be ground out and repainted, shouldn't need to be cut out.

The A pillars can be blended and the roof can just be painted or wrapped, still going to be looking at about £800 at a guess.

FYI quote planning to go with;

£70 windscreen excess - removal, rust fixed, refit 2 days later

around £200 rust ground back, etch prime etc (2 hours work)

Not bad at all, far cheaper than I thought. Guess they are just doing a local patch up on the paint.

• 5 weeks later...

fixed today

cost £90 for grindback, treat and seal

cost £70 windscreen excess

total £160

it was noted that the issue could be a 'feature' of the Z as both top windscreen corners showed same symptoms

• Like 1