Paint Respray - changing from solid to metallic

Colin747

I have a 2003 350Z which as far as I'm aware is Kuro Black, the paint isn't in a condition I'm overly happy with just due to general wear and tear over the years so I'm pondering getting a respray at some point.

Now for the stupid question :D

If I were to respray the car the same colour but add in a metallic flake is it technically the same colour? Or is it a case of once it's metallic it's a new "colour" rather than there being solid Kuro and metallic Kuro?

I'm just more curious in terms of will it still match paperwork etc that states what colour the car should be/was when it was made.

Hopefully that all made sense....

Technically if you spray it anything other than Kuro black with that paint code, I presume its a colour change. Especially if its metallic and not flat black? In terms of insurance it might be ok just stating its black, but DVLA should be told? Just guessing here, no expert by any means.

Cheers guys, I just wasn't sure if you could have a metallic or solid version of the same paint code. Seems a shame to go to the bother of sending the book off to change from black to black :lol: :lol: might just have to go for neon green or something :lol:

It will be x1000s more bother to go through the process of a paint change than it will be to just send the log book off - thats going to be just a tiny % of the amount of time invested in getting to a good result ;)

• Like 1

As long as it stays a black you'll be fine on insurance. You could paint if any standard colour clear over base, metallic or pearl and as long as you change the v5 colour and know the colour code and scheme it's not normally a problem for a insurance claim. Only problem is if you go to non standard colour like flip or house of candy paint and it's not available through a normal paint scheme like ppg.

Cheers lee

Edited by low IQ

Hmmm... i dont think ive ever seen "metallic" on a v5. They just state the colour. So my car is technically metallic black but im pretty sure the v5 just says "black". And the wifes car is actually a mad metallic gold colour but the logbook just says "orange".

Its only if you actually change the colour you need to tell DVLA - so change from black to silver or red to blue etc.

Also certain insurance companies will see this as a modification and will expect to be informed. I doubt many of the better insurers will care but some of the more mainstream ones will consider it a "colour change" and apply an inappropriate loading accordingly. I know for a fact that at least one of the more popular used insurers on here certainly will do that.

• Like 1