LED light bar

JackJ1312

Hi guys, I am going to be mounting a light bar behind my grill at the weekend and just wondered what your thoughts are on the legality of using it on the road, I will be angling it down enough so that it doesn't dazzle other road user and intend to use it just as a running light, aesthetic purposes really it will be on a separate circuits so switched independently to other lights.

I have been trying to find some forums on the topic but all I get led to is 4x4 owners mounting them on the roof so just wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

• No vehicle should be fitted with a lamp which shows a red light to the front
    • No vehicle should be fited with a lamp capable of showing light to rear other than a red light
    • White lights at the front are permitted
    • Only red lights are permitted to be seen from the rear of the vehicle
    • You can't fit green lights to your car at all (green lights may only be fitted to medical practitioners' vehicles)
    • With regard to lights which are not permitted, it makes no difference whether the light is fitted to the inside or the outside of the vehicle, if the light can be seen from the outside. This includes neon lights fitted under or to the side of the vehicle
    • Flashing or rotating lights are prohibited (except for normal indicators, lights on emergency or breakdown vehicles etc.)
    • You MUST NOT be able to see the actual tubes. As long as all you can see is the GLOW then in theory they are not causing a problem if they are not a prohibited colour but you are commiting an offence if the neon strips can be seen and could face a fixed penalty or fine
    • LED lights fitted to windscreen washer jets are generally not permitted, especially if they are any other colour than white or yellow
    • You should be able to switch the lights on and off with an independent switch.

Take from that what you will.

I'd say yes, legal, but dependant on colour and brightness. If you can turn it off / dim it, then it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Strudul

It's a bright white so I don't really see a issue, seems no different to having running lights on a newer car to me but after telling a few friends about it they proceeded to tell me how illegal that is which got me reasearching lol I'm just going to go with it and if I get pulled I will have to cross that bridge when it comes, just needed some reassurance even if it was from one person 😂

• No vehicle should be fitted with a lamp which shows a red light to the front
    • No vehicle should be fited with a lamp capable of showing light to rear other than a red light
    • White lights at the front are permitted
    • Only red lights are permitted to be seen from the rear of the vehicle
    • You can't fit green lights to your car at all (green lights may only be fitted to medical practitioners' vehicles)
    • With regard to lights which are not permitted, it makes no difference whether the light is fitted to the inside or the outside of the vehicle, if the light can be seen from the outside. This includes neon lights fitted under or to the side of the vehicle
    • Flashing or rotating lights are prohibited (except for normal indicators, lights on emergency or breakdown vehicles etc.)
    • You MUST NOT be able to see the actual tubes. As long as all you can see is the GLOW then in theory they are not causing a problem if they are not a prohibited colour but you are commiting an offence if the neon strips can be seen and could face a fixed penalty or fine
    • LED lights fitted to windscreen washer jets are the generally not permitted, especially if they are any other colour than white or yellow
    • You should be able to switch the lights on and off with an independent switch.

Where did you pull this list from? Reading that suggests reversing and indicators lights are not permitted on the rear?!?

I have a LED light bar behind my grill. It was installed when I had it. The guy who sold me the car said it was legal but he would wouldn't he. Personally I'm very dubious as it's super bright and good easily dazzle even if it is set so low down. I use it on country roads as it's super effective for lighting up the road and it looks great as a day light but at night time I mostly keep it off as I'm really not sure if it's legal. It's powered by a flick switch on my centre console.

I have ordered a wireless led dimmer as well so i can turn it right down if i feel necessary. not sure how the dimmer will affect the light as im not certain its a dimmable bar but i guess time will tell as to whether it breaks or not.

i probably wont use it at night for the most part but as you say for use on country roads its ideal

my next question is can i wire the bar from the lighter socket so it is switched power just in case i leave the switch on and forget. don't want to be coming back to a dead battery the light bar is 10 amps, im not exactly clued up to automotive wiring but i will try anyway. I'm not sure if this will overload the circuit or whether i should run a new one directly from the battery? if i was to come off the lighter socket would i need an inline fuse or would the one powering the socket be sufficient for the bar?