Kilimanjaro

Ekona

To be honest never even been near it, would love to go and see the nearby scenery etc. Anything for the quiet life these days though :lol:

Machu Picchu is on my bucket list though fancy that and the Pyramids but currently no mountains on the list, if I need that sort of altitude I'll fly :)

I do wish you the best if you decide to go – gotta be worth it mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hope so!

I've done the Pyramids as a very young kid, like 12 or so, maybe younger. I was too young to appreciate it all, sadly :(

The new museum looks like its worth a visit as well - maybe one day Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Machu Picchu is on my bucket list though fancy that and the Pyramids but currently no mountains on the list,

You can kill two birds with one stone. If you do Machu Picchu, you can get up Huayna Picchu in the afternoon after MP. Absolutely astounding place to visit (both of them). Well worth the climb, sweating and near death experiences on the way up the "path".

Huayna is the big mountain on the right, towering over Machu Pichu

P1030176_zpsi9baxpha.jpg

This is looking down to MP from HP.

P1030229_zps4iyj0kac.jpg

• Like 5

I'm waiting until they install a lift :lol:

It was only a one hour hike up to MP, off at 4:30am to beat the queue and get tickets for HP (they only let 200 people a day up there as it's a death trap of a journey). Best preparation I found was; on the day prior to your trip, take advantage of the 5 for 1 drinks promos in the nearby Aguas Calientes, get yourself off to bed about 2am and you'll be tip top when you're stumbling through the pitch black night through the jungle. #mostpainfulhangoverever

• Like 2

Drove up Pikes Peak a few years ago, altitude 4,302 m. Had a wander around outside and discovered there was an Oxygen tent inside the visitor centre :) . Only stayed an hour so no ill effects, no breathing difficulties. Would have stayed longer but there was a foot of snow on the ground and I only had a T-Shirt and shorts on. I think there's a small glacier near the top of Kilimanjaro, so I reckon its pretty cold up there too :cold:.

Pete

Kilimanjaro is on my list for July..... there is a place in London that does altitude assessments and training.

https://www.altitudecentre.com/

Not going to lie it affected me I was retching on summit night but was worth it when the sun came up :)

When I got down I felt like I'd been on the drink for a week and ran over daily lol

But when what you have done sinks in its Awsome

In the Himalayas a few years back, a colleague got altitude sickness. We were in the enviable position that we could call on a medievac by helicopter, the downside was that the helicopter had to go up, to get down, the said colleague died, it was damned if you did, damned if you didn't.

Not a good end.

In saying all that, the challenge, is where it's at, Kilimanjaro, if Cheryl Cole (or whatever her name is these days) can do it, it's not really a 'climb', but challenging nonetheless.

Save your money and go on the Lions tour in 2022 to South Africa (my retirement present), that will truly be challenging ;)

wow! Was ****ing hard work! but.... we made it. 4167m to the top!! me in the black!

17504648_10154493869452379_5017310106725923264_o.jpg?oh=afe1c5c0be96e47a4f5a780a96390cc6&oe=596AA077

The view from the hotel we stayed in the night before the refuge!

17492925_10212168120856718_3395309485406551487_o.jpg?oh=c59240928d2982ad8352901e50aadba9&oe=595CB835

Me and my mate about 3700m up!

17504959_10154495194682379_6513896106097024208_o.jpg?oh=a9484dcdde27b673bb1c74295038d10c&oe=59519D6C

got loads more pics but need to upload them!

• Like 2

The altitude sickness would worry me, we went to Mammoth in California in summer - the town is 2400m, the mountains are up to about 2850m. I noticed the altitude (ciggies burned more slowly and the weather was a bit strange) but Tasha really suffered fron headaches, muscle pains and dizziness, if we hadnt been leaving after 2 days I think we would have had to bale anyway.

Symptoms literally went away within an hour or two of getting closer to sea level. And besides, £3K buys a bloody nice holiday somewhere youve always wanted to see, Id take over a week exploring Myanmar or seeing Northern Lights in Iceland over a week of pain anyday :lol: