Any runners?

Jay84

Just wondering if any other forum members are into running. I know TT and others lift, but I prefer cardio myself. I did a couple of half marathons 2 years ago, had a year off and started again last week. So far I've done 2 7 mile runs averaging just under 8mins/mile. Looking to do some half marathons and possibly wolf runs this year. After 2 more weeks of 7 miles I'll up it to 10 I usually need to take a drink with me when I do 10.

What drinks, apps, terrain etc do you prefer?

I'm into all 3 events

running, cycling & swimming

after a year off 8mins/mile is pretty impressive - I tend to average 9mins/mile

I've got the Wales long course weekend booked in June (or is it July ?), but as its my 1st time doing this, I've only opted for the 45mile bike, followed by the half Marathon

Terrain for me is mostly road running, but occasionally do trail - bike is turbo during the week and road on the weekend (when the weather allows)

Apps - Strava / Garmin / TrainerRoad

Nuitrition - fairly basic - just gels (for these distances my body carries enough erm.... reserves :D )

Yeah I cycle too, I have boardman team carbon for that bit, I did a 50 mile last autumn through the derby hills. I like powerade as it's not fizzy but quenching. I only tried the gels first time last year. Gotta admit I like the idea of picking up swimming and doing a triathlon

Giant Defy 2 - carbon and disc brakes - although I came off big time last saturday .......... who'd have thought sliding about 12ft on tarmac would hurt this much .... 7 days on :(

Ouch. Not come off yet. The closest I've come to coming off is when I unclipped my left foot then fell over to the right...outside my house in front of the wife and kids.

Edited by Jay84
  • Like 1

I used to run anything from 40 to 60 miles a week back in the day. I guess 90% of my running was on the roads the remainder would be cross country with a little bit of fell running. Started off jogging a couple of miles 2 or 3 times a week and gradually increasing that so after 6 months I was running 15-20 miles a week with my longest run being 5 miles at 7:30 pace. Once I joined a running club my times came down fairly quickly and after 12 months I ran 65:40 in the Llandudno 10 mile race. Despite the fact that I ate like a horse my weight dropped from 80kg's (which is where I'm back to now) to 67kg's, at 1.83m tall I was pretty skinny. After a couple of years my times leveled out and I set my best half marathon time in Hereford aged 42 at 1:20:50. Never really trained to run marathons but I did the London Marathon and The Snowdon Marathon a couple of times

My longest training runs were in the region of 10 miles and I used to carry a plastic bottle of water or dilute orange juice with me on anything over 5 miles, it was one of those that you could wrap around your hand. Things have changed a lot these days though, there were no apps back then or mobile phones so I carefully measured all of my favorite runs using a wheel that I borrowed from the running club :) . If I knew then what I know now then I'd have carbo loaded the evening before a race but I just stuffed myself with whatever was put in front of me. Isotonic drinks were just becoming available back then but all that was available during races was water.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

those are amazing time both

I'm yet to do a full half and would expect to do a flat one in about 2:00 - there are no "flat" halfs where I live, in fact there's no flat anything :lol:

my furthest to date is 11 miles, so don't expect to have any major difficulties getting through it :surrender::blush:

those are amazing time both

I'm yet to do a full half and would expect to do a flat one in about 2:00 - there are no "flat" halfs where I live, in fact there's no flat anything :lol:

my furthest to date is 11 miles, so don't expect to have any major difficulties getting through it :surrender::blush:

My first half marathon in Chester 1983 took me 2 hours 3 minutes, I was totally unprepared and struggled to walk for a week afterwards. My next half marathon I ran in 1:41 and I finished just in front of Jimmy Saville who must have been well into his 60's at the time. I started training for that in October 1986 with the race being in May 1987. By the end of 1987 I'd got down to 1:27:10 and 39:30 for 10k . In my favor I had a resting pulse rate (in the low 30's!) that would have the envy of most elite athletes but against me was my lung capacity which was pretty average TBH. My training methods were rather primitive too, never did any speed work, rarely did any runs over 10 miles and despite my good intentions to vary the pace on training runs I always finished up running at race pace.

I wasn't bothered about the flatness of any of the races I ran, from flat to hilly to mountainous my half marathon time only varied by 3 or 4 minutes, I was crap at going uphill but an absolute demon on the downhills :lol:. Sadly, constant injuries curtailed my running days :surrender:

Pete

• Like 1

I used to work afternoons so i could run before work, now I have to get up at 7:30 on a Sunday morning so I can still spend my one day off with family. Trying to convince my 8 year old to cycle next to me while I run.

• Like 1

Giant Defy 2 - carbon and disc brakes - although I came off big time last saturday .......... who'd have thought sliding about 12ft on tarmac would hurt this much .... 7 days on :(

You do realise the Giant Defy 2 is designed for people taller than 3'6" That might have some bearing as to why you came off! :lol::surrender:

Today I did the Thirsk 10 mile road race after 2 years of knee ops after snapping my cruciate playing football. I have slowly been getting back up to speed running 10k twice a week with my running group which me and the wife set up 2 years ago as a social thing (we now have about 70 members) aiming to get people of all abilities out. Most of my running up until 3 weeks ago has been in pain and discomfort so I have just been getting by but today I managed 1hr 20 so pretty chuffed as I'm now heading in the right direction. It was my fist 10 miles as I normally run 10k and for that I don't tend to carry any water or have any additional supplements but today I water at miles 3, 5 & 8 and carried a couple of shot bloks to keep me going.

That's amazing well done. I do like running but am quite anti social and tend to run alone. I think it's because I sirens all day dealing with people or my family I enjoy my time alone.

Most of us use strava for tracking time and distance I also use a Garmin watch, I used to run on my own enjoying the silence but now like to run with the group help out and look after the slower ones by doing run backs every mile. We had 18 of us run the Thirsk 10 then went to the pub for a couple after :-)

I used to run 4 or 5 miles 3 times a week. Id get up at 6am and be out the door running by 6.15. Such a great feeling that time of morning, no traffic about and the only people you`d see are the odd dog walker. Id be back home, in the shower and ready for work long before the wife even woke up.

For me I love pushing myself, whether thats in the gym or running, so id stick my headphones on, and try and beat my best time. Some mornings id get back and the temperature would be -4 degrees. I remember my neighbour trying to defrost his car one morning and he was staggered that id been out running in that sort of temperature.

Unfortunately then kids came along and now, whilst I still wake up at 5.30/6am I have to look after them until the wife gets up at 8am. Then its a mad dash for me to get showered & off to work.

• Like 1

My knees and ankles are too knackered to train but i usually do HellRunner once a year (half marathon mud run) and occasionally the Chester half.

Never found i got any faster and actually found no training but increasing fags and booze actually helped quite a bit (may of been the fact i was hitting the gym 4 times and week and playing footy 3 but im putting it down to fags and booze)

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 2