Custom BBKs, where to start?

Ekona

Given the pisspoor brakes on track on the Bummer at the weekend, it would seem a reasonable place to start looking to upgrade. I was going to go for just pads and discs, but tbh I may as well look and see if I can do a BBK for sensible money. Unfortunately the only sensible money option is Stoptech, which would be fine but you need a 19" wheel to make it fit which I do not want to do. So my brain starts thinking, how hard is it to build a custom setup?

Thinking about the Brembo setup on the 350, the cars weigh about the same (mine is 1640 and a roadster is about the same) and I was always happy with the setup on my old car, so why not start there? So what do I need in theory?

- Calipers

- Brackets

- What else?

Ignoring any balance issues here for now, as I suspect that more or less the car layout will be fine for this (happy to be proven wrong), is it literally just a case of custom brackets? What other things do I need to take into account? What issues may/will I come up against? The BMW has brake pad wear sensors, I'm assuming I can simply by pass these somehow though and not worry about it. Current calipers are single pot right now, albeit a f*cking great big one. Cooling ducts installed as standard.

All theoretical for flow, but I'd love to expand my knowledge on this. Any and all helpful input welcome. :)

Ooh that could be a good option, thanks Adrian :) Not sure exactly what specs you'd need, but I'm looking at 355x32 front and rear, four piston front and twin piston rear (OEM is single piston front and rear, anything has to be an improvement on that!). I'm guessing a large part of the cost would be the adaptor bracket which would need to be spot on.

Oh, and the rear disc is a handbrake drum setup, just like the 350. You can see why I'm thinking this might be the way to go...

I am pretty sure if you speak to D2 they will make you brackets to fit the 350z calipers, but you will need to send a hub, disc and caliper to them.

Could you not go m6 brakes or are they just silly money, wont fit under 18's?

• Like 1

Only OEM at this point, albeit brand new stuff so I know how it's been used. Trouble is I'm loathe to drop a grand on pads and discs to end up only a fraction better off, I can barely trigger the ABS in this car so I know it's clamping force I'm missing out on too, hence wanting more pistons. :)

Well here's my take on it and how I'd do it.

Do the usual, lines, fluids and good discs, get track pads and keep the stock ones to swap over when done at the track.

If the calipers still suck, yeah move on and sell the other parts as someone will always want to buy/try.

There's nothing wrong with a mono-piston block and in some cases it better.

well, if you'll bear with me i'll let you know about brake pad wear indicators... since i'm about to MOT my track car, which has both wear indicators snipped and the warning light showing on the dash... other forums suggest its just an advisory, assuming you visually appear to have brake pad material left and the brakes work, which they do!

I can't believe your brakes are that bad as standard... i'm coping just fine with a simple pad change on my track car, didn't even bother with the fluid as haven't needed to! I know im some 300kgs lighter, but on the other hand i'm only working with a 300mm front disc... and it'll stand on its nose if I really stamp on the middle pedal.

I reckon its the pads... standard BMW pads are gash. get some proper pads first and see how you get on.

PS sorry for going off topic!

• Like 1

I wouldn't snip mine, I'd hook them up and tie them out of the way somewhere I think. Be interested to see how you get on!

300kg is a lot of difference, on the road mine are absolutely fine but I can still make them melt if I'm hammering them. Maybe I will try a set of pads first, on stock discs and see how quickly I can kill them, would just be nice to have a back up plan. :)

Edited by Ekona

Did you consider something from M performance calipers coming from new Bimmers F series. I know they do have quite good stopping power and are 4/2 combo.

Since it is bimmer part could be much easier to fit and all

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Stoptech vid from Drive:

My memory was hazy on it :teeth:

Good vid.

Excellent vid, thanks mate. Plenty to think about there.

You need to upgrade to a McLaren. May cost you a weeks wage though. Maybe.

:)

I realised yesterday that now the 720 is out, McLaren make some really ugly cars. Fast, fun, but ugly.

Did you consider something from M performance calipers coming from new Bimmers F series. I know they do have quite good stopping power and are 4/2 combo.

Since it is bimmer part could be much easier to fit and all

True, but they're all designed for 19" wheels I think :(

I did some more research on this, and it appears that the easy upgrade for most BMW guys is to fit Porsche calipers as the bracketry is easy. This might be a good option, however it looks like I'll need the 997.2 S calipers at a minimum to contain the disc size, and they're like rocking horse sh*t.

Wouldn't bother with 1m ( same as e92 m3 brakes ) they are pretty pants to be honest on track from evryone on the m3 cutters forum .

I'd splash the cash on some decent AP/stoptech ones .... yes they cost quite a bit but look at what they go for 2nd hand . Get 70% of your money back when you take them off !

http://www.reyland.co.uk/s2000/

I'm looking at these for my car . Phoned last week and they can make brackets up for pretty much anything . Very helpful on the phone .

• Like 1