Exhaust Spacer Mod?

Strudul

I see what he's saying. I don't get why everyone else is getting so wound up

He wants to see if he can live with a louder exhaust on a daily basis so he's doing this as a temporary measure for a couple of days to see if he can drive without a headache

Once he's happy with the volume he will put it back together he will find a note that he likes. He's not comparing the new exhaust to the note of a blowing exhaust

Sitting in other zed a with aftermarket exhausts will give an idea of which notes sound good but he won't know if he can live with the extra noise with a 20 min passenger ride

Sheesh....

• Like 1

but surely there are different types of "loud" ie a loud resonation at low frequency is entirely different to the "loud" of a high frequency

but, bust a gut and go try it and let us know how you got on

• Like 1

Tone is vital though, much more vital than simple volume. If you have two exhausts of equal volume but one sounds rough as hell or drones at certain revs, you'll absolutely hate it.

It's why companies spend a fortune in sound tuning, not just volume. You would have a much more useful comparison if you arranged a mini meet of 4 or 5 cars and spent 10 mins passengering in each.

Let's assume you do like it louder, which exhaust would you go for? How would you make that decision?

That would be a better solution, but:

- I'm not sure 10 mins would be enough time

- The results will vary depending on road surface, music volume etc

- I'm not sure passenger / driver perceptions would be the same (driver has other things to focus on which impair hearing*)

- I don't want to waste people's time or fuel

- I don't know if anyone local has aftermarket systems, never mind a good variety

*The same way blind people have better hearing and you can hear better if you close your eyes.

Yes, the spacers won't help me choose which exhaust, but it gives me more to go on than I currently have and I believe would aid the decision making process doing as you mention (being a passenger).

Edited by Strudul

but surely there are different types of "loud" ie a loud resonation at low frequency is entirely different to the "loud" of a high frequency

but, bust a gut and go try it and let us know how you got on

Which is why I'm not just seeing if I can stand listening to Justin Beiber at full blast for an hour. If I'm reasonably content with a louder blown exhaust, then I can use that to determine which parts I like / don't like and then find out which aftermarket systems do / don't have those features. Get opinions, read reviews, and eventually try passenger rides.

It's not ideal, I know, but I reckon it will help.

No-one minds showing off their exhausts dude :)

I wouldn't want to run with an exhaust leak for much more than maybe 30 mins tops, you don't know what damage the heat would do to other stuff down there plus the risk of CO poisoning in the cabin.

Tbh everyone already knows that the 350 can easily take a louder exhaust than stock regardless of who you are, as it's not a quiet car anyway due to road noise. The difference comes between whether you want a Milltek or a BuddyClub at the extremes, or anywhere in between. That's not something you'll determine from a year running around with an exhaust leak.

Have you considered what may happen in these two scenarios?

1. You like it louder, so you go and research and find another exhaust that gives you the exact same volume increase (assuming you can measure it accurately on the move). You fit the exhaust, then discover it drones or the tone is awful. Money wasted.

2. You do your mod and hate it, far too loud so you stick with OEM. You then miss out on having a nice sounding car because the test gave you a completely wrong perception of what a good exhaust can sound like.

The odds of you doing the test, then researching the volume, then buying an exhaust that just so happens to sound exactly like it is an absolutely minute chance of happening. You'd have more chance of winning the lottery.

Have you ever owned a sporty car before? Ever had a performance exhaust put on it? Genuine question.

No-one minds showing off their exhausts dude :)

I wouldn't want to run with an exhaust leak for much more than maybe 30 mins tops, you don't know what damage the heat would do to other stuff down there plus the risk of CO poisoning in the cabin.

Tbh everyone already knows that the 350 can easily take a louder exhaust than stock regardless of who you are, as it's not a quiet car anyway due to road noise. The difference comes between whether you want a Milltek or a BuddyClub at the extremes, or anywhere in between. That's not something you'll determine from a year running around with an exhaust leak.

Which is why I was hoping for factual answers about:

- anything nearby which could be damaged by the heat (wiring?)

- what sort of temperatures to expect and whether these are high enough to cause damage (it's been reported that it's not actually hot and isn't anything to worry about)

- ways to keep the temperates to a minimum to avoid the above (don't rev too high for prolonged periods?)

- how likely it is for fumes to get in based on the location of the leak (it's right at the back under the boot)

- ways to avoid fumes getting in (don't leave the engine running when stationary for prolonged periods, open a window)

It's purely matter of opinion whether a louder exhaust would work and which one is best to suit your needs. The same way I (and many others) don't want lowering springs while other people are happy to slam their car, but some people are happy with open headers,

Not sure where you got a year from, I'm talking couple days consisting of trips of maybe 30 minutes each.

I made up the time span, but tbh you'd know within 10 mins much less 30 mins.

What could be damaged? Get under and have a look, see what's nearby to where the leak is going to be, easiest way. Temps will be about 500c, could double that if it was FI. Boot isn't very well sealed so fumes very likely to get it, how much is debates me but there will be some, I tend not to muck around with CO at all given how lethal it can be.

Again, first sporty car?

1. You like it louder, so you go and research and find another exhaust that gives you the exact same volume increase (assuming you can measure it accurately on the move). You fit the exhaust, then discover it drones or the tone is awful. Money wasted.

2. You do your mod and hate it, far too loud so you stick with OEM. You then miss out on having a nice sounding car because the test gave you a completely wrong perception of what a good exhaust can sound like.

The odds of you doing the test, then researching the volume, then buying an exhaust that just so happens to sound exactly like it is an absolutely minute chance of happening. You'd have more chance of winning the lottery.

Have you ever owned a sporty car before? Ever had a performance exhaust put on it? Genuine question.

I've considered both...

1. That research would include finding out whether it drones and at what rpm (based on feedback / ride-alongs)

2. I know I thought about this, but can't remember if I wrote it down. Yes, it doesn't quite work if I hate it as an aftermarket option may still be viable, but I just have to keep this in mind when making a decision.

It might not work, but I can only see it helping in making a decision. Knowing what's bad can make what's good more obvious.

The only sporty things I can relate it to (off the top of my head) from real life experience (being inside and specifically listening to the exhaust) is an F-type R, F-Pace S, 350Z HR, Civic Type-R FN2, A5, Focus ST Mk3. All of which were stock.

F-Type R was the loudest, but didn't sound too loud. I did prefer the active exhaust turned off, but not due to volume, I just preferred the tone.

Edited by Strudul

I've considered both...

1. That research would include finding out whether it drones and at what rpm (based on feedback / ride-alongs)

2. I know I thought about this, but can't remember if I wrote it down. Yes, it doesn't quite work if I hate it as an aftermarket option may still be viable, but I just have to keep this in mind when making a decision.

It might not work, but I can only see it helping in making a decision. Knowing what's bad can make what's good more obvious.

The only sporty things I can relate it to (off the top of my head) from real life experience (being inside and specifically listening to the exhaust) is an F-type R, F-Pace S, 350Z HR, Civic Type-R FN2, A5, Focus ST Mk3. All of which were stock.

F-Type R was the loudest, but didn't sound too loud. I did prefer the active exhaust turned off, but not due to volume, I just preferred the tone.

have you just shot yourself in the foot ?

• Like 1

I made up the time span, but tbh you'd know within 10 mins much less 30 mins.

What could be damaged? Get under and have a look, see what's nearby to where the leak is going to be, easiest way. Temps will be about 500c, could double that if it was FI. Boot isn't very well sealed so fumes very likely to get it, how much is debates me but there will be some, I tend not to muck around with CO at all given how lethal it can be.

Again, first sporty car?

It would have to be tested under a variety of conditions for a prolonged time. 10 minutes would be enough to get an idea, but I think longer would be beneficial.

This is where the 350Z experience and the reason for asking here comes into play. Some of you know the car very well and might know exactly what is in the vicinity and could be damaged by heat. Are you sure on that 500°C figure? (as per the OP) I read a few places that said it wasn't that hot and they could leave their hand nearby without it being uncomfortable.

A CO sensor and dropping a window should keep it safe, but I'm still not sure I understand how it gets in... Stationary, yes, but moving??

have you just shot yourself in the foot ?

No, because as per the previous posts, I understand that and can keep that in mind when making a decision. It goes to show that volume and tone are different factors and should therefore be judged separately (enforcing my point, not contradicting it).

NA exhaust temps at the manifold are about 700c, drop a little for having passed through the cats and you're there.

Go warm the car up, leave the exhaust running for 10 mins then put your hand close but not touching the y-pipe. Trust me, that's proper hot and you really don't want to be touching it properly.

If you like the F-Type, exhaust on or off, then tbh you can skip this test and just get a new exhaust. Those things are LOUD :lol:

Didn't have much experience of it at a consistent rpm though and any annoying drones it may have produced. Was always flying through the revs and didn't go on any long motorway journeys where it may have started to irritate me.

NA exhaust temps at the manifold are about 700c, drop a little for having passed through the cats and you're there.

Go warm the car up, leave the exhaust running for 10 mins then put your hand close but not touching the y-pipe. Trust me, that's proper hot and you really don't want to be touching it properly.

Doesn't cool down much having gone through the y-pipe and centre muffler? The leak is coming out just before the backbox...

Not reall, no. Would you put your hand on the backbox after a drive? I wouldn't, it's bloody hot. Try it at the exhaust tip, the coldest place, and it'll still be too warm to touch.

How come I can reverse into my garage, leave the engine running and not melt everything behind my car / start a fire (there's about an inch of space before I hit a wooden cupboard).

And nothing under the car get's burnt?

And there's only heat shields on cats, nothing else?

Edited by Strudul