New York, Washington to do recommendations

Flex

Hey y'all, off over to DC with Mrs for conference but thought we'd go early and drop into NY.

Anyone recommend places to go and see?

Also thinking about driving if there's anywhere interesting to stop off between or around the two? Dont want to be driving too long though.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Cheers!!

Take LOTS of money. Get a burger at the secret burger joint in the Parker meridian hotel, row a boat on Central Park lake is a good crack. And you have to try the lobster burger at rare bar and grill in Chelsea!

I preferred the views from the top of the rock than the Empire State. Also go to Ellis island and do the tour with the rangers, which I found really interesting.

All these in NY, never been to DC yet

Edited by 350 Russ
  • Like 1

I agree. Top of the rock is a much better view and overall experience than empire state if you dont have time for both.

The sea,air and space museum on the hudson river is worth a visit if your interested in that kind of thing. They have a battleship docked with lots of fighter planes through the ages plus a concord you can go inside as well as a nuclear sub docked you can go inside.

• Like 2

Take LOTS of money. Get a burger at the secret burger joint in the Parker meridian hotel, row a boat on Central Park lake is a good crack. And you have to try the lobster burger at rare bar and grill in Chelsea!

I preferred the views from the top of the rock than the Empire State. Also go to Ellis island and do the tour with the rangers, which I found really interesting.

All these in NY, never been to DC yet

I was going to reply but got nothing to add to this, except...

I know its cheesy and I hate to admit it (cos the yanks don't need ANY boosts to their self-image whatsoever), but just walking around near the metlife building and central park, it really does feel like you're living in 100 different hollywood movies, and at night, a different 100.

• Like 1

Oh and it works out much cheaper to buy a city pass over here on the net than to buy admission to everything. Have a google for CityPass NYC it will give you a printable ticket and when you go to your first attraction you get a voucher book for everything else.

• Like 1

We went a few years back and my son is going with his school next month . We did Empire state , Central park, the Natural history museum yes that museum. FAO Schwarz toy store where "Big" was filmed although I think its moved , there is a great ice cream parlour there. The Twin towers site is miss-able to be honest, wish we had done Ellis island though , there is a lot of do so you do need to plan

Grand Central station is worth a visit its a fab building if you like architecture

yes I have been to Washington, other than having a walk about to see the WH, Capitol Hill and the pointy thing I did not really get much time to do any sight seeing. My colleague who I went with (he lives there) did say its a bad idea to stray from any of the well know tourist routes :scare::surrender:

• Like 1

yes I have been to Washington, other than having a walk about to see the WH, Capitol Hill and the pointy thing I did not really get much time to do any sight seeing. My colleague who I went with (he lives there) did say its a bad idea to stray from any of the well know tourist routes :scare::surrender:

Would that be washington monument by any chance??? :lol:

Would that be washington pointy thing monument by any chance??? :lol:

Thats the one Chris :thumbs:

:lol:

• Like 1

I worked with a guy who used to be in the marine corp stationed in WDC and he pretty much echoed this. Also if you're going it's probably best to get a train from NYC or at least that's what I've been told

• Like 1

As far as NY goes, some terrific mentions already. There is so much to see and do.

If you're in to it, Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) and the Metropolitan Museum are very good. As mentioned above, Top of the Rock, Ellis Island, Central Park, 9/11 Memorial.

I would give China Town a miss, Little Italy also. However, I would suggest finding a pub called The Dead Rabbit (Water Street), it's a great city bar / pub and was more full of locals https://www.deadrabbitnyc.com

Would also suggest if you're out and about near the Flat Iron building. You try and have a nose in Eataly. It's a great Italian market / store with some great, easy food available. https://www.eataly.com/us_en/stores/nyc-flatiron/

You could also try, if you're interested in a real NY experience. Get a cab to Katz's diner on East Houston street. It's a slightly more 'earthy' part of town, but the experience will be worth it. Go in, get a ticket and walk up the guys behind the counter for mega sarnies! http://www.katzsdelicatessen.com

You could also get a cab and try a great little Latin Restaurant / Bar on Perry Street in West Village, called Yerba Buena. Lovely, full of atmosphere, great drinks and good food. http://ybnyc.com/iphone/home.html

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The walk from the centre of Washington to the cathedral is pretty impressive, as is the cathedral itself. The walk talks you past all the embassies, which are fun to compare. As you would expect, all the big economic players have huge mansions and generally the smaller the country the smaller the embassy but ever now and again you'll walk past one palatial mansion that will belong to a tiny third world country that you've only ever heard of as an answer on Pointless. 

Again, if you are into your buildings the Cathedral is worth a visit on its own. I went to join in with their bell ringers and they were kind enough to take me right to the top of the tower, which, with its height combined with the fact the cathedral sits on top of a hill offered the most amazing views across Washington. If you're not odd enough to be a bell ringer than I think you can book tour trips up the tower.

It's not huge but the national museum of crime and punishment is good way to pass a few hours as well if you have an odd morning or afternoon to kill a few hours in.

Lastly, as a big baseball fan it would be a miss of me not to mention the Washington Nationals, who are (sadly) one of the better teams in baseball at the moment. If you have the time and you've never been to a baseball game I'd recommend giving it a go. It's a completely different experience to visiting sporting grounds in the UK. In New York you've got the choice of the Yankees or the Mets (both impressive stadiums). During the week the games generally start in the evenings as well, so you can explore the city during the day and catch a game in the evening.