DIY Tyre Lettering

Strudul

If you're going to do that you might as well peel off and start from scratch. You can't keep adding layer and layer of dip lol

Sure you can.

Adding more dip on top will make it easier to remove when the time comes and only requires a couple of layers rather than 5+.

When you dip over dip, the dip melts the dip a bit and the dip layers fuse together to make one thick dip layer, so it's not like a dip onion or dip Shrek, but a dip dip.

If you're going to do that you might as well peel off and start from scratch. You can't keep adding layer and layer of dip lol

Sure you can.

Adding more dip on top will make it easier to remove when the time comes and only requires a couple of layers rather than 5+.

When you dip over dip, the dip melts the dip a bit and the dip layers fuse together to make one thick dip layer, so it's not like a dip onion or dip Shrek, but a dip dip.

Strudul's dip right dip, ya dip know dip. But Strudul, I think Jay meant that if one added a layer of dip every time instead of cleaning, you'd soon have an unfeasibly thick layer. Of dip.

Yeah, wouldn't want to keep adding to emblems since they've already lost a significant amount of detail from the dip, but wheels (or at least my RAYS) don't really have any intricate bits to worry about. Some people do extra layers anyway (7+), so one way to look at it is just a delay before bringing it up to the same level.

As for the dirt etc, you give it a decent clean beforehand to give the dip a good surface to stick to and get rid of anything that might cause imperfections.

However, dip sticks pretty well, so it doesn't need to be immaculate, and any dirt / brake dust isn't gonna cause a problem. The wheel itself is protected by a layer of dip and unless you leave big chunks of stuff on, you're not going to see it through the dip.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry man, I know we've had our differences but I couldn't let you do that: it's truly dreadful and tacky. If you really must, at least keep the words next to each other.

But still don't :lol:

I'm All for DIY but I agree, it will look tacky but it's the font try a thicker type font :thumbs:

:lol:

Well aware it looks crap. Calligraphy is not my strong point and Photoshop font packages are pretty limited, so I think custom text is a no-go. Though there is a point where tacky is so bad it's good ;)

Will probably just replicate pre-existing brand fonts though - print them off and trace around them.

Only just saw this. These are amazing, would actually make me tempted to run pirellis������

You can choose a custom colour too, but they are >£3k...

Edited by Strudul

Try it :teeth:

:lol:

Don't have white plasti dip or new tyres yet... Not to mention the ballache of making a stencil.

Suppose I could spray some black on my current tyres and see how it holds up though ;)

I can tell you from experience with plasti dip on tyres it sorta works but a lot of it flakes off. I sprayed my alloys black and cause it was plasti dip didn't bother covering the tyre. After a few hundred miles it looked like my tyre walls where shredded but it was just the plasti dip peeling off.

I can tell you from experience with plasti dip on tyres it sorta works but a lot of it flakes off. I sprayed my alloys black and cause it was plasti dip didn't bother covering the tyre. After a few hundred miles it looked like my tyre walls where shredded but it was just the plasti dip peeling off.

Spoke to someone who used dip to do whitewalls. If you prep the area, it holds very well.

Problems are:

- It goes brown in a week from brake dust and is a bitch to clean. Apparently it's easier to just respray over it, so it's not a convenient long-term solution

- Making a stencil is a right faff and there's a chance of leakage

Spoke to someone who used dip to do whitewalls. If you prep the area, it holds very well.

Problems are:

- It goes brown in a week from brake dust and is a bitch to clean. Apparently it's easier to just respray over it, so it's not a convenient long-term solution

- Making a stencil is a right faff and there's a chance of leakage

That would explain why mine flaked off, I never prepped my tyres since I never intended on spraying them ;)