DE vs HR engines

Nikster

According to Evo magazine a Porsche 996 GT3 is only 1 second a lap quicker round Blyton Park than a convertible Jaguar F-type V6............I know which I'd rather have!       

Stats don't always tell the full story.........they sometimes don't even tell the truth!

• Like 1

One, two,

jeez that was a massive amount of time reading that, never mind in the context of 70 seconds, let alone 110+ seconds at Oscherseleben. 

Each to their own of course, but some black and white figures in the context of the topic might help the op :)

• Like 1

You’ve done track days, you know how much two seconds a lap is worth, especially at a proper but relatively short track like Tsukuba. Considering they’re exactly the same car, then yes that’s massive.

I don’t get how you of all people don’t think that’s relevant. 

Exactly, track days and consider myself very average at it and dont take offence, but i would include 100% of members on here average. 2 seconds for us lot is a fluffed gear gear change or two, braking too early or too late for that matter, not getting the exit just right, let alone other parameters like tyre pressure being absolutely spot on and if its absolute gospel would i pay 75%+ more for the same car for 2 seconds, not a chance.

The link is a good comparison, the figures are very similar across the board between the two, so make of it what you will, but there is nothing that would suggest to me the HR is significantly faster or significantly better handling (along with driving all variants), they are very very close with any data we have, check out the the Tsukuba times elsewhere, a Cayman S and 370z both timed slower, now we all know which are significantly faster than a 350z ;) 

At the end of the day it all depends on what you want to do with the car. Do you want to mod it, are you bothered about small interior differences,

is tax an issue, do you have £5000 to spend or £9000, both are great cars, both are very reliable and both have their small issues.

There are quicker cars but in my opinion there arnt many that have the looks to go with it. As has already been said, overall performance is very similar, its just delivered in different ways. One thing i would say is the HR  and Rev-up headlights are way better...but other than that its personal preference.

• Like 1

For me the 276bhp DE is a bit of a performance bargain, ticking just about every real world box less some elements of practicality. The HR isn't a performance bargain for the cost, as its into the realms of some very serious cars ie 9k+. 

• Like 1

Looks like this could go on and on!  As every other DE vs HR post I've seen seems too.

Davey..........I agree and disagree the DE is a bargain but then so is the HR what else can you get for the money of either that does the same? If you just want to go fast buy an impreza that down the road would kill a zed and cost you 2k.  If you want big comfy and fast buy an old supercharger Jag for 5k, You buy a car cos you want that car and as such both car represent their prices well

For the original question asked suppose all you can tell is everyone is pretty happy with what they've got. I was very happy with my DE that I had for years and I'm now I'm even happier with the HR I've had for 2.  Both have plenty of mods available and both respond well to them. The best thing to do is make sure you get a good example of which ever model you go with, there's tons of info on this site regarding common issues and their fixes but nothing to be too scared of, especially if you're OK with a spanner in your hand!

Good luck in finding a good'n and enjoy it, they are great cars

• Like 1

Think you've just clarified my point. 

I didn't rate the Z4 at all, its a fussy horrible car to drive and didn't feel that quick with 260hp, plus if fancy interior is something you want the quality is really bad for a BMW, Audi TT if understeer is your thing and the Porsche obviously is the only real consideration in your list but it would be the Cayman you'd want and preferably without 80k+ miles and that doesn't come at 9k sadly! All these cars are not without their own and sometimes much larger set of faults over the Zed too

That is why we all love and have bought 350z's in one form or another

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 350Butcher said:

Think you've just clarified my point. 

I didn't rate the Z4 at all, its a fussy horrible car to drive and didn't feel that quick with 260hp, plus if fancy interior is something you want the quality is really bad for a BMW, Audi TT if understeer is your thing and the Porsche obviously is the only real consideration in your list but it would be the Cayman you'd want and preferably without 80k+ miles and that doesn't come at 9k sadly! All these cars are not without their own and sometimes much larger set of faults over the Zed too

That is why we all love and have bought 350z's in one form or another

Porsche, Audi and BMW...all common as muck...The 350z all the way...we all know which car gets the most looks out of these four!! :D

• Like 1

My point was all the cars mentioned far out sell the 350z, which to most people will look and appear the exact same as a 2003 model albeit a facelift car however for significantly more outlay. 

To alot of people sadly its not different enough to warrant the extra cost and day to day unless you climb the revs above 6.5k you won't notice a huge difference in overall performance. 

• Like 1

My HR cost me £7500 in march and to be honest prices have dipped a bit since then....also was so taken with the car i was an hour away driving home before I realised I forgot to haggle a bit xD.  I havent driven a DE or Rev up but i will say the HR is really rewarding to drive and having a pretty high redline is a lot of fun :D Doesnt rev as high as a civic or a rotary but i will take the torque :D 

• 2 months later...

I have driven a DE revup and a HR back to back.  The performance difference is noticeable..just.

In any world that isn't timed and in a race, there will be no difference.

However...

The HR is the more exciting engine.  Those extra revs and the way it responds it just feels more eager.  This, IMHO, is more important than the 0.5 1/4 mile BS.

There are others - the dipstick is a doddle to read and it hasn't used ANY oil in the 15k miles I have done in mine whereas the DE Revup got through about 1 litre per 1k miles and you could only guess at the oil level with the dipstick.

The above thoughts are those of the DE RU owner and mine.

People who bleat on about the tax...  It's £215 per year (55p per day) more which is absolutely NOTHING in terms of running these cars.  

If you want to pootle around and park your car, the DE is more than enough, but if you really like driving for the fun of driving the HR is worth the go IMHO.

That is 100% not to say that the DE is a POS because it isn't.

But if the DE is felatio, the HR is felatio with eye contact :D

• 3 weeks later...

100% with the above,

My DE enjoyed oil.. HR hasn't used a drop.

Back to back probably not a huge difference, put them side by and side and there would be.

My HR has exhaust and uprev only and made 299 at the wheel.

It's mainly nicer thanks to just being a later model. Gearbox revisions, interior facelift (on the revup too but I jumped that model), better lights front and rear. Just feels a nicer car. Plus the frost leather mine has is stunning.