DE vs HR engines

Nikster

Hi

I'm still trying to find a 350z and im now stuck on what to go for. I like the thought of a HR new engine higher limiter and higher HP. However Im also thinking a DE might be better (rev up ideally) less power but can get more parts to make it faster.

Whats everyone's input on this? Also what kinda modifications can you do to both?

HR starts off with a bit more power and needs a little less to make extra power n/a. Am I right in saying the HR doesn't require a plenum spacer if going for a remap?

For me the DE is a good engine, good torque and reasonable power. Revup is even better but oil burning is the only downside (and not a big downside if you have the gift of sight and can check a dipstick occasionally).

For me it came down to tax and up to March 2006 they're on the old tax so a fair bit cheaper. Might I add that the extra cupholders in the newer model makes me insanely jealous.

• Like 1

HR starts off with a bit more power and needs a little less to make extra power n/a. Am I right in saying the HR doesn't require a plenum spacer if going for a remap?

Correct. The engine was redesigned and the bottleneck is no longer there. (No more tapered plenum restricting air to the front cylinders.)

Edited by Strudul
  • Like 1

I'd get an HR just for the bonnet. Then cry about the interior plastics.

I bought a DE for the tax and then got a bulged bonnet. At the time I didn't know of the interior changes in the HR.

• Like 1

The HR has better plastics than the DE.

Can you explain a bit more? I've never sat in a HR. Do the interior plastics look better? More durable? Does the centre console scratch for fun like mine?

The HR has better plastics than the DE.

My personal experience is that you can scratch the black coating off the HR plastics with little more than flirtatious look. Can't do that on my DE. A year ago I looked at the only HR I've ever seen in Greece, it had 18,000 miles and the owner was asking silly money for it (22k), and the interior plastics all looked absolutely terrible. Probably owned by a woman with rings and nails, but still, it was really, REALLY bad on the door trims and the center console. My DE interior which probably has 200k kilometers on it looks better.

Not a fan of the facelift hazard button. The gearstick is in the way.

Plus this...^

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 2

Lets face it, all model plastics are sh*t, personally i think its splitting hairs to say the later interiors are significantly better, for circa £200 you can transform the interior (paint consul, add some dash covering), personally i thought mine looked a million times better than an hr.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I went for HR and love it. If you can drive it well I'd say certainly the older DE and the HR are very different. You just need to use the last couple k of revs to get the most out of them, which in a 313ps RWD car can be tricky 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help. I think im leaning more towards a HR but if a nice de turned up I wouldn't turn it down 😋

See if my de with upgrades suits you if you don't find anything, I will be seriously considering selling mine on the run up to summer.

(Apologies if this comes a cross as an advert for sale, I'm officially allowed to advertise it on the forum in 4 days.)

My personal experience is that you can scratch the black coating off the HR plastics with little more than flirtatious look. Can't do that on my DE.

Yes, my prefacelift doesn't have a single mark on the drivers door panel, Caroline's HR was covered in scratches and was quite unsightly. One member came to my house in an 06 facelift in which about 90% of the plastic had been scratched off. Other than that though the HR was a better car although I believe the interior update is vastly overrated and did little to enhance the car, an improvement from 5/10 to 5.5/10 I'd say.

Pete