DE vs HR engines

Nikster

• 4 months later...

Bare in mind the cost of modding DE just to give you similar power to a stock HR.

The HR was a huge redesign mechanically, from the press releases I read at the time, the engine was 80% new, they also did numerous suspension mods to improve handling, including sitting the engine lower in the chasis etc. There was a long thread on here listing all the differences etc.

Either way, which ever you go for will be a fun car.

Jumping back in...

If anyone is considering a 350z and care about extra power, then in my opinion they are buying the wrong car unless forced induction is considered.   There's far faster cars out there for the same prices. Sure extra power in a zed is nice but for me the difference between a DE and a HR wouldn't be enough for me to rule out getting an older one. 

I would go as far to say that a few mods and a remap and a DE shouldnt be far behind the faster version. On top of that I don't think I would ever care. They all Drive nice and look great, they all have decent power. Unless your going to go everywhere with your dyno printout to show everyone your extra 15bhp it doesn't matter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coldel said:

The point really was that its easier and cheaper to get an HR down to the same weight as a DE than it is to modify and tune a DE up to the power levels of an HR.

Although as standard theyre pretty even performance wise. But youre right. I mentioned modding as if thats the way he wants to go then obviously the DE is a more moddable (is that a word!?) engine.

...even though i didnt buy mine to mod it!!...£5000 later...

On 9/5/2017 at 13:49, zippypooz said:

Although as standard theyre pretty even performance wise.

Are you for real or just trolling? No, they are so not even in performance, not to mention the engine build and technology used! 

Edited by GodISmE

I think Zippy was saying that with the additional weight offsetting the extra bhp once on the road in the hands of your average driver you wouldn't see noticable differences in performance i.e. the HR disappearing way off into the distance on a B road. Not owning one however I cannot substantiate that :lol: but I dont remember seeing them blasting away on convoys etc.

• Like 1

HR feels significantly quicker than any DE I've ever driven, FI cars aside of course. The extra 1000/500 revs makes so much difference to the experience.

Is it much quicker? Well no, driver will make more difference than a few poxy bhp here and there, but the HR is far more exciting to drive.

I've got a DE running more power than a standard HR. However it's cost me a few grand to get there. HR/ DE revup interior quality is just as naff as the the original with a few more chintzy bits and padded door cards. 

Early headlights are pants so facelift bi xenons are a must as a mod IMO.

All suffer the same suspension niggles etc.

Revup can use oil and HR can blow it's oil gallery gaskets plus they decided in the quest to improve the car to put the clutch slave in the box (genius!) , new engine is heavier so power gain is negligible anyway. The benefit of the HR is being able to stay in gear longer with the higher rev limit. It's a smoother unit and better balanced. The new engine is taller hence the bulge, what is essentially a function over form exercise to squeeze in the new engine has become quite endearing as a styling exercise and I like the bulge as do many others.

Any Z is good fun but a later car with the new headlights and led tails would be my shout as it was a real pain sourcing them for my early car. The real world performance for road driving isn't even worth banging on about tbh, bugger all in it.

• Like 1

As others have said, day to day on the road not much difference in performance. On a track a hr with like for like mods as a de is a quicker car. As Ekona mentioned, the difference in the higher rev limit makes a more exciting drive in the hr they really do love to rev where the de feels as though it's much happier around the lower rev range. 

Ross 

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

So basically the HR is for sports car people, the DE is for diesel people ;) 

I had a Revup, so I've no idea where that leaves me :lol: 

To be fair, if I recall the revup was good for mid-range torque. Although nowadays I've forgotten what "searching for torque" is like these days...... 

• Haha 1

I bought a HR few months back after deliberating the same question. I feel like I went the right way, I found a good clean example (then went sideways in to a barrier :| ) but the ride is smooth, the sound is ace, interior is OK - Though a can of halfords primer, matt black spray paint and sand paper sorts out the scratches very easily. 

I haven't been in a DE so certainly not best placed to advise, but I'm very happy with my recent HR purchase.

• 1 month later...

Is the HR engine heavier than the DE?  I've never seen that anywhere before, I'd be interested if someone has a link to something factual to have a read up on it?

Making components heavier with the intention of revving higher seems unlikely to me!

I owned a DE car for 4 years with the usual air filter, decats and remap plus lightened flywheel etc (which is a huge improvement over standard) and when I bought my HR car bone stock it was a totally different and faster car, don't get lost in the small output differences its the willingness to give up and access the power that the HR does so much better than the DE.

Although there is 2 air boxes and associated pipe work they don’t weight much, plus the plenum itself is a plastic composit on the HR instead of metal like the DE which from memory was quite a bit heavier.

Not by much but that would mean more of the engines weight is lower down in HR too which is beneficial for handling. 

Lets be honest, faster yes, but its so minimal its not worth the extra outlay in a lot of opinions.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/4hlj6ji1eu27

.2 secs quicker to 60

1 sec to 100

.5 over a 1/4 mile

and barely 2 seconds over the varying tracks, i cant say i noticed a huge difference between de. upreved or hr and with the figures above, i am not surprised. 

• Like 1