Any "reviews" from those with 400-450whp S/C setups?

TMPL

Well all hot hatches now on stage 3 are already close to 400 bhp and much lighter than Z. 400 bhp Z was "something" 5 10 years ago. Now.... Ain't much. All less than 600 Bhp is so so

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Turbo 350z 400hp probably feels fast but with a s/c you dont get the torque hit and you end up reaching speeds you don't expect :blush: i.e. the scenery is flying past but you still feel like you aint going that quick.....

Then you end up spending a lot more money to try and find that point where :drive1

Edited by evilscorp

The type r and boosted z was me

It's was wet and and he got on the power a lot easier than I could

I've no doubt in the dry I would of been crawling all over the back off him

However I think if you want to boost you z it's because you realy love it and don't want another car

Or the decision would be simple just sell up and buy somthing else

Edited by nissanman312

On the roads, you can drive a 200bhp car as quick as a 400bhp car. I proved with when I borrowed the old R56 Mini and went out for a drive with a 400bhp 350Z. Nothing in it. Imho, on regular roads unless you are prepared to seriously risk your licence by going over triple digits on NSL roads, then there's not a lot of point going past 200bhp/ton. That's a real sweet spot.

If you're never going to regularly track your Zed, I'm not sure an FI conversion is worth it. If you track it then yes, on the power tracks that extra grunt is lovely :)

• Like 1

The type r and boosted z was me

It's was wet and and he got on the power a lot easier than I could

I've no doubt in the dry I would of been crawling all over the back off him

However I think if you want to boost you z it's because you realy love it and don't want another car

Or the decision would be simple just sell up and buy somthing else

Ah I forgot you mentioned it was wet, that explains things.

Maybe the old boy racer in me hasn't died completely but I'm always interested to see different car's performance from roll races etc.

On the roads, you can drive a 200bhp car as quick as a 400bhp car. I proved with when I borrowed the old R56 Mini and went out for a drive with a 400bhp 350Z. Nothing in it. Imho, on regular roads unless you are prepared to seriously risk your licence by going over triple digits on NSL roads, then there's not a lot of point going past 200bhp/ton. That's a real sweet spot.

If you're never going to regularly track your Zed, I'm not sure an FI conversion is worth it. If you track it then yes, on the power tracks that extra grunt is lovely :)

That's a good point.

I've mentioned it on here once before but I once went out in a 600HP Supra and while it was completely breath-taking it was a complete license losing machine and I'm not sure many would have the level of self control to be sensible in something like that on the road.

I totally agree with you

It's rare you get to realy deploy the extra power on the road.

But when you do get the odd moments to yourself to let it go it great

Especially on our sometimes twice yearly European runs with much quicker cars than a stock z

Not saying that justified the cost of it tho just saying it's nice to have if you should choose to spend your money in that way lol

Just found this video of Buster and me in my car at Japfest 2014.

I know Grundy's big gay wing caused some turbulence but as you can see the difference in acceleration over some very tasty modified cars is quite noticeable on a boosted car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Woah - so many accountants on here! - Must all have slow cars :lol:

Put simply if you do a conversion nowadays it may not be worth it because a comparable car, e.g. E92 M3 is cheap enough and does 420 odd bhp out of the box.

I have been through 2 engines on my Vortech so am deciding the next step. £10K may just be doable, but if something goes wrong need to factor that in.

I would treat with caution doing TT on a stock motor. IF you're going all out with forged motor then maybe.... but again nowadays for the price of that you could be close to a R35 or 996 Turbo which are holding and going up in value respectively.

Choice is yours. I absolutely loved mine while it lasted - still considering its future.

Put simply if you do a conversion nowadays it may not be worth it because a comparable car, e.g. E92 M3 is cheap enough and does 420 odd bhp out of the box.

I have been through 2 engines on my Vortech so am deciding the next step. £10K may just be doable, but if something goes wrong need to factor that in.

I would treat with caution doing TT on a stock motor. IF you're going all out with forged motor then maybe.... but again nowadays for the price of that you could be close to a R35 or 996 Turbo which are holding and going up in value respectively.

Choice is yours. I absolutely loved mine while it lasted - still considering its future.

Are you turbo ?

TT 350Z approaching the price of a GTR?

Can you get a GTR for 25k?

Haha - probably not.

Are you going to complete your build, including the car itself for £25K? - if so, that's pretty good going imo. Even I've spent more then that over the life of the car.

Edited by wizard

Are you turbo ?

Na supercharged

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread and opinions, another thing that might be worth considering is doing an engine swap and sticking something like a 2JZ engine into a Zed. TJ Hunt on YouTube has started a build if anyone is interested:

I'm seriously considering going FI probably S/C route, as I have kind of decided I'm never gonna sell my 350Z and if I can do it for £10K then it's possible.