Any "reviews" from those with 400-450whp S/C setups?

TMPL

Dan says everything was as cheap to own as his zed....until it goes wrong, then expect to grip your ankles, lets put it like this, if you want a 400hp + sports coupe (awaits the 350z isnt a sports car), its going to cost a fair bit more than a charged zed in every aspect.

• Like 1

Dan says everything was as cheap to own as his zed....until it goes wrong, then expect to grip your ankles, lets put it like this, if you want a 400hp + sports coupe (awaits the 350z isnt a sports car), its going to cost a fair bit more than a charged zed in every aspect.

How about the Monaro 6.0 VXR? ;)

No-one ever drops £10K on an FI setup and says they don't like it. Ever. Even if they may secretly regret it. ;)

I'm with Evilscorp, I'd just buy something faster or different instead. An FI Zed is a hoot when it's working fine, but I don't think it's any more fun or impressive than a regular 350. Quicker yes, different yes, but not better.

Given your car is stock, you really need to be doing suspension & brakes first. I think you'll be surprised just how good you make an NA 350 without dropping megabucks.

Its funny thing this... You don't drop 10k or more unless you A really know what your after... B don't care about money... My car is night and day different to when it was NA, On the street where your never at the grip limits you don't really appreciate suspension and brake upgrades (on track.. YES!) big power you can used and enjoy anywhere.

A well set up NA 350z is cool but you can't beat the feeling when you roll on the throttle and feel boost building just press you hard into the seat :)

I love mine ! It's was only completed at the end of last year then tucked away for the winter so I've not had too many miles on it yet. As has been said already. The car maintains its usability but becomes much better when you plant your right foot. I'm running 430 and the hubs which should be safe for me. I did have a hand in building the car so I think I appreciate that side of things more and I would recommend doing it yourself if your handy with a spanner. There's a lot of folk on here that have done it so I'm sure if you put up a build thread everyone would chip in if you got stuck.

I plan on keeping my car so I'm not fussed about its resale value ( just as well lol)

If you plan on selling it on at some point you will lose big time so as the other say maybe buying a fully built one is the better option

Cheers

Paul

I love mine ! It's was only completed at the end of last year then tucked away for the winter so I've not had too many miles on it yet. As has been said already. The car maintains its usability but becomes much better when you plant your right foot. I'm running 430 and the hubs which should be safe for me. I did have a hand in building the car so I think I appreciate that side of things more and I would recommend doing it yourself if your handy with a spanner. There's a lot of folk on here that have done it so I'm sure if you put up a build thread everyone would chip in if you got stuck.

I plan on keeping my car so I'm not fussed about its resale value ( just as well lol)

If you plan on selling it on at some point you will lose big time so as the other say maybe buying a fully built one is the better option

Cheers

Paul

I'd love to do it myself but I'm working so much i just don't have the time at the moment, I've been through this before with an engine swap I did myself in my old celica gt-four. Knowing what my schedule is like at the moment, I'd rather just drop it off somewhere and pick it up a week later than do half an hour on it here and there for a few months!

I'll definitely be keeping it if I go down this route, just have to be certain it will be enough performance for the money. I really do love the car, I wasn't hoping for anything different, just FASTER.

Turbo 430hp.

I find brakes and suspension more than adequate at these power levels.

I don't know about supercharged but turbo is a whole lot of fun. Transforms the car.

What made you go with a turbo set up? I'm open to new ideas here, I just see the complete vortech kit is probably the most readily available and easiest way of doing things.

Turbo 430hp.

I don't know about supercharged but turbo is a whole lot of fun. Transforms the car.

What made you go with a turbo set up? I'm open to new ideas here, I just see the complete vortech kit is probably the most readily available and easiest way of doing things.

The fact that I paid only 3500 quid for the kit (2nd hand from abbey motorsports)

And the fact that I always planned to go forged internals and big power.

S/C dropped in and left at 400 ish hp and you'll be fine. Sort of plug and play.

My engine went boom..But turbo kits add more stress to internals.

I now have a fully uprated bottom end.

Turbo 430hp.

The fact that I paid only 3500 quid for the kit (2nd hand from abbey motorsports)

And the fact that I always planned to go forged internals and big power.

S/C dropped in and left at 400 ish hp and you'll be fine. Sort of plug and play.

My engine went boom..But turbo kits add more stress to internals.

I now have a fully uprated bottom end.

Great now I'm weighing up built engines and turbo kits..... double the price though!

Yep as said, german luxo barge or jag.

Bear in mind that they will all retain the resale value though, 10K dropped on a Zed doesnt make it worth 10K more ...........

I looked into this before I parted with my Zed, I felt that a V8 conversion was a better route to take, not least that its further scaleable when you get used to the power. And the noise. ;)

• Like 1

Yep as said, german luxo barge or jag.

Bear in mind that they will all retain the resale value though, 10K dropped on a Zed doesnt make it worth 10K more ...........

I looked into this before I parted with my Zed, I felt that a V8 conversion was a better route to take, not least that its further scaleable when you get used to the power. And the noise. ;)

I was awfully close to fitting a LS engine to my old R33 Skyline , makes a lot of sense , its quite a popular route for zeds in the US and as you say the noise

Absolutely and if its something you want to do, go for it :) I have done it before and its a great journey, just if i think back to all the money i have thrown at this sort of thing, it makes you think twice and let someone else take the hit, but if your comfortable with it, you will enjoy the ride :)

Mine was 450+ at the rear wheels without NOS over 500 with the NOS - fully built engine, cams, headers, water meth, NOS etc etc all suspension and brakes upgraded that was certainly a different Zed to drive after the work :)

Having said that I drove (for a very short distance) the LS conversion 350z we are currently working on and my first impression is that it's gonna be a complete beast - You pays ya money and ya takes ya choice :)

Absolutely and if its something you want to do, go for it :) I have done it before and its a great journey, just if i think back to all the money i have thrown at this sort of thing, it makes you think twice and let someone else take the hit, but if your comfortable with it, you will enjoy the ride :)

I shall have a ponder. If I traded it in for another car I'd expect to lose 3k in part ex. If I sink 10k in it and then sell it on, i'll be 6k down.... so the real difference is around 3k lost by the time I move on to another car. That's not SO bad, but my maths are probably a bit off.

Modifying cars has always been about more than the cost.

It's just enjoyable and seems more fun than going and picking something off the shelf ready made.

I've got close to 20k in mine.

Also, you can do things in stages with modifications. I couldn't have dropped 20k into my Z in one go.

Then there's the individuality that comes with it. I barely see any Z's and if I do I can guarantee it's not forced induction and more specifically, turbo.

• Like 5

It's just enjoyable and seems more fun than going and picking something off the shelf ready made.

Also, you can do things in stages with modifications. I couldn't have dropped 20k into my Z in one go.

Then there's the individuality that comes with it. I barely see any Z's and if I do I can guarantee it's not forced induction and more specifically, turbo.

Only 20k.... also LOVE my money pit!

Only 20k.... also LOVE my money pit!

Why no more YouTube videos though :(

Why aren't you running 1000bhp yet?! Lol

• 2 weeks later...

I must say I'm quite curious as too how fast a 400BHP Z feels in the real world.

Unsure if it would be set your pants on fire, thrilling/fast as it's still a heavy car.

What makes a "fast" car is obviously subjective, to the average Joe a stock Z is fast but you guys know what I mean.

Edit - for example I remember a thread on here about the new Type R keeping up with a boosted Z, would be interesting to see how my 320HP ST fairs against a boosted Z from a roll, I'd fully expect to get murdered :lol:

If anyone has a boosted Z and an airfield handy hit me up ;)

Edited by nowhereboy