Squeaking & knocking front end

Dave6188

Pretty sure the answer will be compression arm bushes but just to confirm, when I go over a bump and sometimes when turning I get a squeaky noise from the front end passenger side and sometimes I can hear a faint knocking noise. Pretty sure its the compression arm bushes from reading other posts on the forum but would just like confirmation before splashing out £200 on some Superpro bushes. Anyone else had similar issue ? Thanks in advance.

I thought it was more common for the bush to fail rather than the ball joint itself on the compression arm ! Could be wrong but majority I have seen on here have just replaced the standard bushes with poly bushes.

I thought it was more common for the bush to fail rather than the ball joint itself on the compression arm ! Could be wrong but majority I have seen on here have just replaced the standard bushes with poly bushes.

and still had the problem in most cases ... bushes are easy to diagnose, ball joint is very difficult so if the mechanic can't find the problem, it's usually the ball joint

One way (the only way imo) to check is to drive slowly over a bumpy road and left foot brake whilst maintaining speed ... if the knocking stops then it's the ball joint

• Like 3

Had the car on stands today, drivers side compression arm bush looks to be shot, I followed your advice with left foot braking and knocking continued on a bumpy stretch of road.

I also carried out the 12-6 movement on the wheel but could not get any movement whatsoever so ball joints seem to be ok.

Looks like I will be re-bushing both arms, just need to find a trader who sells Superpro compression arm bushes at a good price.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Had the car on stands today, drivers side compression arm bush looks to be shot, I followed your advice with left foot braking and knocking continued on a bumpy stretch of road.

I also carried out the 12-6 movement on the wheel but could not get any movement whatsoever so ball joints seem to be ok.

Looks like I will be re-bushing both arms, just need to find a trader who sells Superpro compression arm bushes at a good price.

don't bank on the ball joint been ok mate just because it doesn't budge with the wheel shake test. I had mine in the air, strong bars putting usual ball joint test pressure on and also my trusted knowledgeable MOT Mechanic did the same, and nothing. Took the arm off and still nothing major evident, apart from a slightly easier to oscillate ball joint. Obviously if you bushing looks FUBAR that's probably it but just be aware, you may change those and refit and still get the dreaded knock. I hope you sort it quick and easy. Just go steady swinging on the bushing end mounting bolt. Clean the thread well with wire brush and spray WD40 on night before. Story's of that bolt snapping have been heard. I have 2 x £60 arms that had 12 months warranty and I fit SupePro bushing 7k ago amd are still going strong. My Z is a daily and fast Road fun drive. Personaly don't get ripped off. Edited by Spoons
  • Like 3

Yeah I've seen the bush end bolts sieze and snap the bolt, luckily I'm a Hydraulic Engineer so we have an Impact driver at work and hydraulic press etc. So hopefully it shouldn't be too much of a ballache to do. Ended up getting some Whiteline bushes from Clark Motorsport to replace the knackered ones.

• Like 1

I had this issue. I thought it was the bush on the banana/compression arm initially but it ended up being the ball joint which unfortunately meant the whole arm needed replaced.

I got a genuine Nissan one at £250 and the labour was about that again.

• Like 1

8c2749037961b46c7b0a6822f426d6f5.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's the bush, I sprayed it with silicone grease and it slid straight back into place and the knocking has actually stopped. Both pretty knackered so getting replaced hopefully on Saturday morning. Will let you know how long it takes ;)

Managed to swap both bushes out this morning, took 3 1/2hrs in total, that time included turning a sleeve in the lathe to press the old bushes out and most importantly making a brew 😉

Steering feels slightly sharper and bumps in the road feel dampened, oh and most importantly no more knocking 😊

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...