Ireland road trip May 2018

Irn Bru

Irish weather is much the same as the rest of the UK. It can rain whenever it likes, it can snow in June, it can be 25°C in April, or most likely, it'll be pleasant weather around 16-18° and may or may not drizzle a bit. The south tends to be a couple of degrees warmer than the north, just like the mainland, however, the north has better roads in terms of quality, but the scenery north and south is epic in places.

• Like 1

4 days is no where near enough to take it all in, so you really need to get a list of must haves and work from there. The North Coast Road is an absolute must, start in Larne and follow it around to Portstewart, taking in The Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle and The Dark Hedges along the way. There's day 1 :lol:

West Donegal around Kilcar is also stunning and easily integrated. However, Kerry and Killarney are also amazing, especially the Ring of Kerry, but a 5 hour drive from Donegal. If you're down that far, you have to go to visit Blarney Castle and kiss the stone :snog:

On the NC500 trip we were doing 8-10 hour days driving and taking in the sights, so I guess we would be able to see most of the great bits. I will pick your brain more on this as time goes in if you don't mind, thanks.

I dont think that is true, was over 25 degrees in Cork when I went, tshirt and shorts, was in May I think.

Mixed weather is great......... it's all us Jocks really know, four seasons, one day, welcome to scotland lol.

should be a nice meet.

would June or July be a bit better weather wise?

I've heard that Ireland has pretty crap weather all year.

June and July are not on the radar mate, way too expensive and right before people go away for family holidays

4 days is no where near enough to take it all in, so you really need to get a list of must haves and work from there. The North Coast Road is an absolute must, start in Larne and follow it around to Portstewart, taking in The Giants Causeway, Dunluce Castle and The Dark Hedges along the way. There's day 1 :lol:

West Donegal around Kilcar is also stunning and easily integrated. However, Kerry and Killarney are also amazing, especially the Ring of Kerry, but a 5 hour drive from Donegal. If you're down that far, you have to go to visit Blarney Castle and kiss the stone :snog:

Just as a rough guide to get me going with the planning Kyle, can you give me a very rough route, with must stop and see places based on doing approx 150 miles a day. My must see is the Giants Causeway, so going anti clockwise from Dublin up to there and head to ?

These are 2 great sites with info on what to do. Pretty much all the best things are in the north and west of the country, except St James Gate in Dublin if you want to tour the Guinness factory and get to taste a proper pint ;)

http://www.ireland.com/en-gb/itineraries/touring-routes/causeway-coast-wild-atlantic-way/

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

The route in the first link is a recommended 5 days, but it could easily be done in 2 depending what you want to see along the way. Don't forget the Titanic museum in Belfast if that interests you too.

• Like 1

These are 2 great sites with info on what to do. Pretty much all the best things are in the north and west of the country, except St James Gate in Dublin if you want to tour the Guinness factory and get to taste a proper pint ;)

http://www.ireland.c...d-atlantic-way/

http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

The route in the first link is a recommended 5 days, but it could easily be done in 2 depending what you want to see along the way. Don't forget the Titanic museum in Belfast if that interests you too.

Great, thanks :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

Hi Bri good to meet you again at Coventry  mate and if you are touring the North of Ireland then I am up for joining in. The north coast is a great drive with so much to see and as KyleR has said the Titanic Museum is awesome also. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2017 at 17:01, gaz300 said:

Hi Bri good to meet you again at Coventry  mate and if you are touring the North of Ireland then I am up for joining in. The north coast is a great drive with so much to see and as KyleR has said the Titanic Museum is awesome also. 

Hi mate. Aye that would be good. I'll look further into this over the winter months when I've got more spare time. Be great if you could get some more of the 300zx members interested in it too. I'll update the post over the winter like I said and look to yourself and Kyle for the inside information so to speak 

Edited by Irn Bru
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Time to resurrect this road trip thread guys.

Rough iternery as follows:

Dates 25th - 28th May 2018 (Friday to Monday) ** THIS DATE IS FIXED**

Expecting to do 800 -1000 miles door to door (estimated from the NC500 tour we done 2016), Ireland approx same size as Scotland but I have no idea of the roads setup over there (Ireland members please chip in with this as I'm gonna need a lot of help for this roadtrip).

Starting point Belfast and heading north and anti clockwise. Overnight stays still to be confirmed as with full route. As I have said, due to me not having any experience of the Emerald Isle this is going to be difficult for me so I need help please.

Ideally want to do a route that takes in the great bits of Ireland but get there using as few motorways as possible. I don't think the roads will be anything like the NC500 route with single track and passing places so need advice. Quite happy for the route to criss cross all over the place to get to see the sights and drive great roads, doesn't necessarily have to be all costal roads, as nice as that would be.

"Looking" to cover similar daily mileage as on the NC500, that being 200 -250 miles per day. @gaz300 @KyleR

So....who's in ?.

1: Irn Bru +1 

• 4 weeks later...

There's no super available down South at all, 97 RON is available in NI though. If I'm going down there on a long trip I fill up as close to the border as I can to make it in one tank.

Edited by Colin747

On 08/01/2018 at 20:58, Irn Bru said:

Time to resurrect this road trip thread guys.

Rough iternery as follows:

Dates 25th - 28th May 2018 (Friday to Monday) ** THIS DATE IS FIXED**

Expecting to do 800 -1000 miles door to door (estimated from the NC500 tour we done 2016), Ireland approx same size as Scotland but I have no idea of the roads setup over there (Ireland members please chip in with this as I'm gonna need a lot of help for this roadtrip).

Starting point Belfast and heading north and anti clockwise. Overnight stays still to be confirmed as with full route. As I have said, due to me not having any experience of the Emerald Isle this is going to be difficult for me so I need help please.

Ideally want to do a route that takes in the great bits of Ireland but get there using as few motorways as possible. I don't think the roads will be anything like the NC500 route with single track and passing places so need advice. Quite happy for the route to criss cross all over the place to get to see the sights and drive great roads, doesn't necessarily have to be all costal roads, as nice as that would be.

"Looking" to cover similar daily mileage as on the NC500, that being 200 -250 miles per day. @gaz300 @KyleR

So....who's in ?.

1: Irn Bru +1 

2: Brummiestormer +1

• 4 weeks later...