knocking noise! Steering rack?

Alcran

Hi all,

I have a slight knocking when going over speedbumps and other bumps, and our wonderfull uneven roads of the UK, also when the car hits 75mph

I've replaced. shocks, springs, top mounts, bush all bushes that would have been culprit, however I still have this knocking noise.

I was wondering if, could it be steering rack? The sound appears to be coming from the drivers side wheel area.

Has anyone had this before?

Regards

Al

Could be steering rack, I have a similar knocking, although sounds like both sides. Mechanic had it up on ramp the other day and was wiggling various things with a pry bar. No discernible rattling despite some bushings on the way out, until he got inside the sleeve for the steering rack and gave that a wobble. With me sat in the car it sounded like the kind of rattle I get from low speed over bumpy roads, so I'm going to try replacing it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Zman, I've replaced those as well :) everything that could have been the issue has been replaced. and thanks for those top mounts, they done the job

Doom, same as, only thing he's noticed is slight play in the steering rack. Any idea on where you'll be getting your rack from?

All the best

al

I was advised by mechanic, although I can't comment on the accuracy of this statement, that new ones aren't available, so I'm looking at reconditioned to OEM spec. Short of somebody knowledgeable on the forums chipping in with a reliable source for recon parts, there are companies on ebay listing refurbished racks for around £200 I believe.

It'll be the ball joint on the B A N A N A B A R

LHS probably

Notoriously difficult to diagnose and does often sound like something in the steering rack

Remedy - replace the side you think it's most likely to be - new arms available from traders here

Hi Alex, I'm vaguely hijacking here, but can you drop me a price for a rack for a 2007 HR please? =)

I've heard that the banana arm can be a common cause. I did mention it to my mechanic so I assume he checked? I'll be pi**ed if it's not the steering rack!

I've heard that the banana arm can be a common cause. I did mention it to my mechanic so I assume he checked? I'll be pi**ed if it's not the steering rack!

I'll have a little bet with you if you like - £10.00 says it's NOT steering rack ?

• Like 1

Hi Alex, I'm vaguely hijacking here, but can you drop me a price for a rack for a 2007 HR please? =)

PM on its way Doom.

2 x low mileage HR racks are in stock at the moment. :thumbs:

Alex. :)

I'll have a little bet with you if you like - £10.00 says it's NOT steering rack ?

Haha, I'm not a betting man, especially as I think you have a greater than 50% chance of being correct, and I don't like those odds! Worst case scenario I end up with a steering rack that has done 85k fewer miles and have stern words with my mechanic for some kind of discount in future.

It'll be the ball joint on the B A N A N A B A R

LHS probably

Notoriously difficult to diagnose and does often sound like something in the steering rack

Remedy - replace the side you think it's most likely to be - new arms available from traders here

Hi,

That has been replaced as well, all bushes that relate to the suspension have been replaced. So its not that,

That I do not know, Had the knocking before I replaced all these parts, it was still just as loud after I these parts had been replaced.

nissan have also looked over the car and still havnt been able to help,

only thing thats left is the steering rack

• 5 years later...

Appreciate this is an old post but I fear I have a similar issue, was this ever resolved ?

It’s a knock when going over uneven surfaces, on the drivers side. The knock appears to be coming more towards the drivers compartment, so steering rack. If I wiggled the wheel right to left I hear it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks