Stubaru BRZ

Stutopia

• 2 weeks later...

I've long felt the belt covers on the AC and alternator look very much like an afterthought.

FhpRXJu.jpg

Accordingly I picked up a Grimmspeed aux belt cover, which conveniently also provides a small tray on which you can rest tools. It also looks rather smart, if I do say so myself.

Tdd3BrQ.jpg

In other news, I went to top up my bubbles and low and behold, it's got it's own dipstick!

goPyUOC.jpg

B)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Apollo Aspire 4Gs have gone to the great tyre fire in the sky. RIP.

Instead I've got something better, something new.

I03t9P4.jpg

So far I've only found time to scrub the release agent off the rears, but it feels like a tiny bit softer ride than the Aspire 4G/Primacy 3 combo I was running, despite these being up at 35 and me running those a little softer. Pleasingly confidence inspiring in todays' damp conditions, I'll see how things go and report back. Also gone Nitrogen, because you know, racecar! Apparently I will be able to feel the difference. I'm not so sure...

PS - Check out the awful valve caps they insisted on fitting too. VOM

• Like 1

I used to use nitrogen too, only benefit I found was more stable pressures over a longer time i.e. no need to top up after 3 months. Other than that, the tyres felt the same. I don't bother now, extra cost isn't worth it given that boggo air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Do keep us updated on the tyres, I'm not a million miles away from changing to MPS4 now either.

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a couple of bits in the engine bay that have been getting in my way when I'm cleaning, taking up room and generally adding weight. So today I added some lightness, and I strated by removing this thing.

rtgufAc.jpg

Everything still runs fine, so I guess it doesn't do anything.

It used to live here.

LdcGVHT.png

Apparently, it pipes induction noise into the cabin to make me feel more sporty. Well, I'm already sporty enough thank you very much, so that lot went. As you can see it got its intake noise from the errr, intake. I was just going to leave a hole in the intake pipe and just run the car like a boss, but in the end I decided to add even more lightness and some purple Samco silicon too.

fbt7mye.jpg

This is what she looks like with belt cover back in place, you can just see the purple end poking out.

jsomuHa.jpg

This was one of those classic 10 minute jobs which took an hour of sweating and knuckle skinning because it's a aftermarket part that is just a few millimetres not the right size in several different directions. Happy enough in the end and another step towards purple goodness.

:)

19 hours ago, Ekona said:

Everyobe loves a purple end poking out! 

Looks good mate, am really glad you got rid of that awful thing, that was the biggest bugbear about the cars I drove a couple of years back.  

I've had the noise hole bunged up for a month or so now, I knew it was only a matter of time before it went. It also makes room for FI things, perhaps, one day. 

Next up gang. I quite fancy either painting or wrapping my fogs in yellow, to add a splash of colour to the front. As I was trying it out electronically first and I thought what f I did the DRLs too. Answers below, there are no wrong answers expect leave them as they are.

IMG_0079 sd.jpg

26 minutes ago, Spatt said:

I like the yellow, i say go for it yo.... because race car and all that.. also looks different from the front with it yellow

Yes!!!! I found some cheap film, so it'll be easily reversible.

14 minutes ago, coldel said:

Looks like they have faded, a no from me. You do realise that now you have one purple pipe in there, you got to do all of them ;)

That's just my crap photoshop and Matt's already signed off the work. The purple bits are work in progress, it's the only cosmetic/rice mods I'm doing on the BRZ so I don't want to splurge!

3 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Definitely not. It's a new Subaru, not a 1970's Renault.

Also, this thread is really making me want one.

You know it makes sense. I absolutely love mine. And for the "there's not enough power" discussion, you can do a drive in/drive out turbo for £4.5k all in for an extra 90bhp. Gving you 30 bhp/tonne more than a stock HR.

1 minute ago, coldel said:

The turbo should be a factory optional extra ;)

Agreed, an STI would be perfect but they obsess about the carbon/mpg, the whole bloody engine was built to an eco target, not a performance one.

1 minute ago, SuperStu said:

How easy were they to remove to work on? Also, if you know of a guide, a link would be ace :)

I didn't put them on so can't really help much, the previous owner did say it was just case of unclipping the plastic surround to be able to peel it off though. He might have put a post up on the gt86 forums about it as he had a detailed build thread. Tweedbean is his username on the 2 forums.

• Like 1