Stubaru BRZ

Stutopia

Not build shizzle, but, due to circumstances, I had a day on my hands and, very rarely indeed for me, an indoor workspace to make use of - so what else is there to do but detail...

Had a little go on my new polisher not long ago (dealing with a biggish scratch) but this was the first proper run out for the Rupes LHR75E Mini Bigfoot. All day I used almost exclusively yellow pads and yellow polish (fine), though I did have a quick blast with the blue (coarse) which just splattered polish everywhere (there's a possibility that was my fault, not the system's). The little machine is perfect for the panels on the BRZ and my weak desk workers arms. The car is all small areas and mid-panel creases - it' is too small when it comes to the bonnet, but that just means more sections. For me Clive, the advantages in the tight bits more than outweigh the disadvantages in the open stretches.

Although circumstances presented me with the opportunity, she has been due a polish for some time. Work parking means I occasionally touch shrubbery and have people rubbing up against the paint, so it does get marked, also I like to wash her and that too leaves its impressions on the paint.

This sort of thing is the problem.

IMG_6617.jpeg

IMG_6642.jpeg

IMG_6644.jpeg

IMG_6627.jpeg

This last one on the bonnet is particularly hideous, it's like something coarse has been dragged over it. The spot shows the swirls but the tube reflection shows how it kills the vibrance of the paint. Yuk.

Classic 50/50, left before right after (easier to see on the vid below).

IMG_6614.jpeg

Also a bit of whopper here, something or someone has come very close to my bumper and put a few marks on the rear offside quarter - they mainly came out but you can see on the right it's still not perfect.

IMG_6634.jpeg

P.S. If you're thinking of doing any detailing work during the lockdown, get a hoist, it's really useful, saves your back, makes inspection easier and improves productivity no end. I could spend a whole week doing cleaning jobs all around and underneath, with access to this work space.

IMG_6646 (1).jpeg

Couple of glamour shots when I rolled her out. Excuse the dirty wheels, this session was all about the paint, no other areas worked on. After the polish, gave her a quick once over with AMMO Reflex https://youtu.be/20zcTp_dTL8

IMG_6663.jpeg

IMG_6659.jpeg

IMG_6654 (1).jpeg

She looks ok for 75k miles and 7 years use, if I do say so myself.

You've read the text, now watch the (short) movie.

• Like 6

This poxy lockdown has ruined my detailing plans over the next couple of weeks so I’m already jealous of anyone doing any proper detailing, but you sir, with your fancy lift and polishing machines, you sir take the biscuit.

Also great work and all that. Git.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

you sir, with your fancy lift and polishing machines, you sir take the biscuit

Yeah.. I went out today and cleaned the Z but was a mission in the sunshine. Would love to do a detailing session under cover

27 minutes ago, ilogikal1 said:

This poxy lockdown has ruined my detailing plans over the next couple of weeks so I’m already jealous of anyone doing any proper detailing, but you sir, with your fancy lift and polishing machines, you sir take the biscuit.

Also great work and all that. Git.

Hey! It’s not all plain sailing with fancy toys. Just imagine how long it’d take you to do a Z bonnet with just 3 inches AND those big metal arms on the hoist, really get in the way when you’re doing the doors!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, zelda said:

Yeah.. I went out today and cleaned the Z but was a mission in the sunshine. Would love to do a detailing session under cover

It’s a real treat and only an outside detailer knows the true value of indoor work areas.

10 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

Hey! It’s not all plain sailing with fancy toys. Just imagine how long it’d take you to do a Z bonnet with just 3 inches AND those big metal arms on the hoist, really get in the way when you’re doing the doors!

5175ACA7-9775-4E54-A0FF-F1885B4134F9.jpeg.e11bf2f205708967f84c4fd0e39da6b1.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

No mods for a while, but I was driving over Snake Pass recently and the chaps from bikerpics were up there, needless to say they recognised sexy (even with 4 wheels) so I treated myself to a snap. Which is now a canvass in the kitchen.

IMG_7289-(ZF-0981-87354-1-001).jpeg

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

It's been a minute since I put some time, love and money into the BRZ - I must admit the more time I spend in the Cayman, the less tempted I am to grab the keys to the Subaru when I need to nip out. Hopefully with the easing of lockdown and putting two cancelled Spa trips behind me, I might turn the tide and get her out on track. 

Speaking of which, she's a bit on the noisy side from some track limits and with that in mind I popped her into JBM Performance in Sheffield to have a large silencer welded in.

C4TWEDG.jpg

Whilst she was in the rusty sump was replaced with a nice new OEM one, with a Cosworth baffle dropped in - well it'd be rude not to with it off. I also took the opportunity to address the heat wrap on the UEL, which was failing in two places. I've never really liked the wrap aesthetic to be honest, so I did the man maths and managed to justify sending the headers and overripe off to zircotec for a lovely coating. 

9nkFXnL.jpg

tkIDrJc.jpg

yeLD4zc.jpg

They look sexy AF, if I do say so myself. Might even keep the air in the bonnet a few degrees cooler too!

Last but not least, I was getting fed up with shiny leather on the steering wheel, so I set about it today with some APC, leather cleaner and a soft bristled brush - talk about time well spent, the lovely matt look is back.

W3rqHEG.jpg

KvUlxOe.jpg

Steering wheel junk - yuk!

189U5fp.jpg

• Like 2