Stubaru BRZ

Stutopia

• 2 weeks later...

I've been sunning my self in sunny Italy and then attending Japan v England in the WWC this week, a nice treat when I got back was to find a P3 Vent Multi Gauge waiting for me. I'm only after this for oil temp (possibly pressure later), so I've been waiting for one to pop up second hand, as these are expensive toys IMO. It may be the first tiny step in going boosted too, but there's no plans for that right not.

Easy, if fiddly, install in the bottom half of the gauge. It's got some quite delicate ribbon cabling and not much room in the dash to play around and get fingers in, but nothing a few cable ties can't overcome.

Little demo of what it can do (some of which requires additional sensors) from the OBD2 port feed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2019 at 21:26, Kieran O'Quick said:

Long term though? Nice to have the option. Diced with one a few years back and they were very lively... 

Yeah, could be. I REEEEEALLLLY want to weaponise it for track, but my garage woes are getting in the way for now. I'll get there. 

It was a bit lively at first, with the crap primacies on, which a lot of people like for being a drift god etc. This mostly went away after fitting the MPS 4s, which is fine by me, I prefer grip, and has really diminished since I put the new rims on and added an extra inch of rubber.

1 hour ago, SuperStu said:

Nice friday afternoon mod, OEM fitment and 2 minutes work, perfect!

Out with the old plastic.

IMG_5136.jpg

In with the new leather.

IMG_5137.jpg

Perfect match on the stitching too. :cloud9:

Wow that looks good! Looking to upgrade the Pheonix interior with Leather this winter. Did you get a trimmer to do the work or is that a complete aftermarket part?

12 minutes ago, andy james said:

Wow that looks good! Looking to upgrade the Pheonix interior with Leather this winter. Did you get a trimmer to do the work or is that a complete aftermarket part?

Thanks mate.

Part is OEM from the facelift, came from Japan though so JDM as **** yo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just read the whole thread. Stunning motor and mods. Tempted to swap my zed for one of these or a gt86 aero or trd. How do these compare to the zed? I like the idea of an extra 2 seats - but are they any good or just for show?

Will look into getting a cheap well looked after one and then maybe get it boosted! :)

19 hours ago, StormtrooperZ said:

Just read the whole thread. Stunning motor and mods. Tempted to swap my zed for one of these or a gt86 aero or trd. How do these compare to the zed? I like the idea of an extra 2 seats - but are they any good or just for show?

Will look into getting a cheap well looked after one and then maybe get it boosted! :)

Thanks for the kind words.

It’s a different kind of fun to the Zed, obviously torque is next to nothing so you have to be in the mood to do some work if you want to have fun. I’ve enjoyed the loss of weight, but it’s hard to pinpoint exactly why. The way it behaves on the edge is quite addictive too. If you were serious about changing, then a drive in a lightly modified one where the irritations have been ironed out (torque dip mapped out, silly noise generator removed, etc) will quite quickly either convince you or warn you off.

I’ve technically had two adults in the back seats, both under 5’9”, and they were quite keen to get out after 30 minutes. They’re reasonable for a short trip to drop/collect someone but they’re not a serious solution to regularly ferrying 4 people around. It’s nice to have the option though. Long term is quite likely to turn it into a dedicated track toy, so the seats would go and some BBK and coily action would happen, then boost somewhere down the line. It needs boost if you want to really get down the road, but I’m not that arsed about doing more than NSL on the highways these days.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Stu. I've been considering a 996 c4s. But budget wise, I'm looking at the lower end of the market. So rather go for a newer better looked after 86/brz etc. I think I'll go and see a few and hopefully get a run in a slightly modded one and see. I'm considering back seats for my boys, no where near 5'9"  yet, so I reckon they'll do fine. 

Edited by StormtrooperZ

• 3 weeks later...

Been a busy week or so.

First job, pick up a rental car to keep me on the road whilst the BRZ is in the garage. What's that? Free upgrade to a C Class? Yes please.

IMG_5233.jpg

I spent a very pleasant week in a 220d auto, which was ideal as I've been prowling for a sensible car for commuting and passengers. Rather enjoyed the wafting and it was pretty quick too, I didn't fall in love with the auto box but we came to an agreement by the end of the week. Perhaps a bit too floaty for me to seriously consider, but I'd be tempted to try a petrol with more cylinders, just to be sure...

Anyway, this is why the BRZ was in the shop.

IMG_5260.jpg

AP BBK for the front end. Thanks to Reyland for supplying the kit. All went on smooth as butter.

IMG_5255.jpg

Looks rather fetching too, if I do say so myself.

As for the back end, well I didn't want to splash too much at that end because, frankly, they don't do much. So I sent off some OEM rears to be refurbished and painted in a matching red to the front end.

Sadly the courier was a day late returning the finished item, which isn't a huge deal, unless you've already handed back your rental car and find yourself carless, miles from home - d'oh! Helpfully, my mate, who is also my mechanic, happened to have his own DC5 around, so I got the loan of that for the weekend.

IMG_5278.jpg 

I was so excited to drive this, I've not experienced VTEC (yo!) before and the DC5 is a fairly well regarded vehicle in JDM folklore, to say the least. Wow! So much fun. Ooooodles of grip, that addictive burst at the top end, rare as hen's teeth and all in a very pretty package - if I didn't have a lightweight sports coupe, I'd be VERY tempted. It really puts the smile on your face when it fires up.

Anyway, the rear callipers arrived today, looked sweet and went straight on :teeth:

IMG_5282.jpg

Obviously this is purely to satisfy my need for them to match the fronts, rather than a function improvement. I'm hoping the improved heat dissipation up front will take care of that. What got me looking at brake upgrades was that I found during some driving tuition, and again in the Alps, that I was running out of brakes and, if the BRZ is to end up on track, I want to be prepared.

Whilst it was up on the ramp, perfect opportunity to clean up the exhaust too.

IMG_5240.jpg

IMG_5244.jpg

Came up ok.

And the brakes don't look too shabby either.

IMG_5285.jpg

Now I've just got to book some track days...

• Like 5

Brakes look great Stu. You will find it's a massive improvement on track without all the overheating and fading issues.

After fitting my BBK and going on a track day it was an amazing buzz when finding you can overtake more cars by being able to slow down later and faster before a corner rather than trying to slug it out with power on the straits only to have to back off early!

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2019 at 21:47, SuperStu said:

IMG_4788.jpeg

Been reading this thread for a few weeks and it convinced me to take the plunge and get a BRZ after some numpty wrote my 1 Series BMW off - finally went and picked mine up yesterday and absolutely love it!!

Driving back from Taunton to Sheffield though has made it look a little dirty - cant wait for the weekend to give it a good clean - but OMG, that blue above is absolutely stunning - can i ask what polish / wax you use to get it looking that shiny please?

I used AutoGlym HD polish and Dodo Juice blue velvet on my Azure 350z a few years back but am in need of some new stuff to tackle the BRZ!  (the BMW was white)

Also, where did you get the leather interior upgrade?  I dont mind the silver plastic at the minute but it looks so much more finished with the leather.  Was it just a breakers on eBay or did you have to search further afield?

Look forward to your reply  :)

Me again!

Can i ask where you also got your 'shark fin' aerial as well please?  The standard aerial is absymal and that needs to come off ASAP!  Ive looked on eBay but dont want to buy any old rubbish from Hong Kong that may / may not work, and is it simply a case of sticking it on as the adverts suggest?

Loving the Valenti rear lights too, which website did you get these from?

Sorry, im not trying to copy yours but i just want the little things tidying up - im not usually one for apply mods but its the small things that will make the car lookma lot better IMO.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Buckley said:

Me again!

Can i ask where you also got your 'shark fin' aerial as well please?  The standard aerial is absymal and that needs to come off ASAP!  Ive looked on eBay but dont want to buy any old rubbish from Hong Kong that may / may not work, and is it simply a case of sticking it on as the adverts suggest?

Loving the Valenti rear lights too, which website did you get these from?

Sorry, im not trying to copy yours but i just want the little things tidying up - im not usually one for apply mods but its the small things that will make the car lookma lot better IMO.

Cheers,

Haha. No problem mate. 

I got the aerial from Fensport, but can’t see it on their site these days. It’s the beatsonic one. To be honest, it’s shocking as an aerial. If you use the radio at all, rethink this mod!!!!

Valentis regularly come up on the GT86 forum I frequent - gt86.org.uk

However, I ordered mine from https://www.ctautoparts.com.au/ because I only wanted the red ones