Stubaru BRZ

Stutopia

Totally preferred the BRZ to the 86, felt sharper and more accurate, plus the interior didn't have the faux carbon fibre.

Great car mate, hope you really enjoy it :)

? it's the same car same suspension

Nope, the suspension is different between the two cars. Stiffer on the rear on the 86, stiffer on the front on the BRZ. The difference is far more noticeable than you might think, too.

Totally preferred the BRZ to the 86, felt sharper and more accurate, plus the interior didn't have the faux carbon fibre.

Nope, the suspension is different between the two cars. Stiffer on the rear on the 86, stiffer on the front on the BRZ. The difference is far more noticeable than you might think, too.

Without knowing the mechanics of it, the BRZ is harder to provoke into oversteer than the GT86. Even in the wet it feels less boisterous.

• Like 1

Without knowing the mechanics of it, the BRZ is harder to provoke into oversteer than the GT86. Even in the wet it feels less boisterous.

Well I consider myself told but then I've only driven the 86 tried to persuade my mrs to buy one but she bought the 2.0 tfsi tt instead unreliable crap :blush:
  • Like 1

Handling

The Subaru's front end is a bit sharper, keener to turn in. It steering is weightier and more direct just off centre. There's more immediacy to fingertip inputs. The Toyota? It's a bit lazier to turn in but, once there, its rear end seems a bit livelier, as if you can lean on it more and have a bit of fun.

And those differences in detail. The Subaru demonstrates more linearity on turn-in. The build-up of forces is faster at the front and the transfer to the rear is more gradual. In the Toyota, the nose takes a fraction longer to respond but then the flow of weight transfer to the rear is faster, placing more sudden force on the back wheels. The rear is stiff enough to control it but this still, if you're manfully aggressive, leads to more work for the stability control to do - or, if it's off, easier tail-tweaking fun. These are differences of real minutiae, but do become apparent with miles and legwork.

There was disagreement on the ride at first. Some felt the Subaru was better, others, the Toyota. So we analysed further and concluded the Subaru is a bit more taut at lower speed, so is jigglier in town, but more measured at speed. The Toyota is a little softer at slower speed and this can lead to a fraction more reaction over undulating surfaces at speed, making it feel less settled.

Haven't driven a BRZ but the GT86 does feel lazy on initial turn in. I run rainsport 3's so plenty of grip but still allow the back end to step out on demand. Due to the way the stability control works by braking the rear wheels mine are filthy compared to the fronts. I haven't played too much with the VSC Sport mode yet which allows you to play more but still has a safety net.

Edited by un1eash

Well I consider myself told but then I've only driven the 86 tried to persuade my mrs to buy one but she bought the 2.0 tfsi tt instead unreliable crap :blush:

It's not like it's night and day, in fact, if the 86 came in WR blue, it'd be one of those on the drive way. I think, in my two drives, the different rubber between the 86 and the BRZ may have more impact than my ability to read the "feel". It's not like I'm doing 10 10ths!

Nice car, just make sure you either drive it regularly or upgrade the battery as they are dog poo. If I left mine 2 or 3 days it would be flat, did my head in

Thanks Chris.

I was reading about this just last night, had a look this AM and it's still got the original 48ah Panasonic in there, going to go for an Exide 65ah replacement and hopefully nip that in bud.

• Like 1

Deep red one on track the weekend @ PH SS, nothing could live with it in the damp conditions!!

Lower centre of gravity than a Cayman, GTR, Evo, STI and nearly that of an LFA.

I don't know what this means but it sounds very impressive :lol:

They should replace the original battery under warranty, mines been upgrade to the all black 65ah one.

I took mine into toyota 3 times and they had it for a day at a time and said there was nothing wrong with it and I needed to drive it more to get the charge going, would be ok but it was just a weekend toy

I'll have to get used to things being under warranty, the battery is already on its way from Tayna.

I might try and get the condensation in the tail lights and fog under warranty thought, worth a shot!

The lights are a warranty repair also, you can buy seal kits but they should replace them. It seems hit and miss if you get condensation, it's meant to be caused by over tightening the lights when fitting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Managaing to stay strong on the no mods policy so far, just a bit of routine maintence.

BOSCH! AH and CCA boosted. OEM Battery problem, solved.

z0yVGSp.jpg

Sony CarPlay headunit in, total dog of a job because the headunit and dash pieces simply refuse to get along with each other. I'll revisit this when my rage subsides and do a proper job to make it fit and get it painted. Please note the tastefully dremmeled fascia plates at each end to make it "fit". CarPlay is everything AppRadio isnt, very pleased.

9MMYSG9.jpg

Gave her a wash too, second one done so starting to get an idea of the state of the paint. Sadly not as good as I thought. I even managed to add some defects of my own with clay bar marring. Used the same BH bar on the Zed with no trouble at all, even with its alleged soft paint.

sIdRIon.jpg

Soon buffed out though. At which point it rained its ass off.

2ravEhI.jpg

But it still looks sexy. However, I think this will require a full correction before the sunshiiiiiine returns.

My policy of not modifying continues, so I've made a couple of enhancements instead.

Got rid of the awful screwed in reg plates, on which the dealer had actually included strap line text that overlapped each other. Unbelievable. Stuck these on with a truck load of double sided and moved the rear one down toward the centre of the plate void. Much cleaner.

xkOysXt.png

The eagle eyed will notice a reverse cam has popped up. Not as slick as the light fitting one on the zed but it feel like a nice piece of kit and even came with a combo video/power/reverse signal wire, so I only had to run one - very flash. Not tapped into the reverse light signal yet as some bright spark decided it should go miles away from the camera in the diffuser, so I need to find a good place to intercept it. :(

CvhOzbA.jpg?1

Also popped in a dashcam

jNzVoCU.jpg

Looks massive there but from the driver's seat its more or less hidden, not tried the Mobius before, cracking bit of kit for the price and came with everything you need from here. Helpfully they also installed the latest firmware and configured it as a dash cam (opposed to action) out the box, very good service.

Even with the compression when I chopped it up and youtube's compression the image quality is ok.

So far these little ICE jobs have been a doddle on the BRZ, despite a bit less info being available than the Zed, there seems to be a lot fewer trim panels.

Hey Stu, The new car looks great, nice colour choice (even if it is a little slower in blue rather than gun metal)

Glad to see its not being modified B)

It's not easy this not modifying business. There's a guy selling an Ark GRiP exhaust in the other place at minute. I think mine is actually blowing ;) so it's technically a repair. I also finished off my reverse camera enhancement today, tested it and nearly cried.

mxZxayf.jpg

How had I installed it so very, very wrongly???

Turns out the boot was open :doh:

• Like 4

This no mods thing is much easier than I expected. I thought I'd have a real problem kicking the habit, but not so far.

Couple of OEM+ enhancements today, popped on a JDM as **** shark fin on and binned off the RC car beesting.

1unUKbu.png

Then dropped in a Toyota OEM armrest, which has gotten rid of a nasty expanse of hard plastics and two extremely budget looking cup holders, hiding them under some rather tasteful leather goodness.

Joi7bvv.png

• Like 1