Practice drifting a 350z

Rob350

I have a question for the drift gurus, put me in a kart and happy to drift and control a drift/slide without thought, put me in a car on track though and as soon as the back end goes, my instant reaction is to get it back in line, any thoughts?

And whether relevant, i used to motorcross, back end is always all over the place, as soon as i started riding road bikes, i hated the rear end sliding.

Edited by Jetpilot

Now, I'm not a guru, but it's all practice. Knowing that if you smash a kart into the barrier it's a giggle is very different inside your head to the thought of smashing a car. Also, it's very counter intuitive letting go of the steering wheel and watching it spin. 3m7s is good here to see the wheel spin.

Throughout this video you can see Bizz, Steve and I all let go of the wheel completely and then grab it again to keep the slide at the right point. Drifting a Z is awesome fun and they're great cars to learn in, would highly recommend it to anyone, especially if you have someone sat next to you who can help you with learning the ropes.

edit: can't embed the video for some reason :S

edited edit: yay I did it! :yahoo:

Edited by AliveBoy

I have a question for the drift gurus, put me in a kart and happy to drift and control a drift/slide without thought, put me in a car on track though and as soon as the back end goes, my instant reaction is to get it back in line, any thoughts?

And whether relevant, i used to motorcross, back end is always all over the place, as soon as i started riding road bikes, i hated the rear end sliding.

Ditto. ... For me it's a case of I know that I'm on a road with other vehicles and kerbs ready to break my bones if I come off the bike, and having been "doon the road" 3 times in my biking years I know how much that hurts. Same applies to driving the zed, only at the back of my mind it's more to do with not wanting to damage her by rattling into kerb !!

Yep, its just fear and self preservation kicking in - drifting in an empty carpark anyone can do, doing it on a track with walls is a lot more harder and streeto still scares me even though I know Ive got the ability not to put it into a kerb.

The best guys I know nearly all learned on the street, when they were too young/stupid to be scared, the only guys that run them close generally have a motorsport background from a very young age. I see it on track sometimes, the guy in front geta bit wobbly and shuts everything down and spins when in reality just relaxing a bit and keeping doing hat hes doping would be better.

• Like 1

Higher speed, more weight? I do quite a few track days and karting days each year and I will do things in a kart I would never dream of doing in a car. Deliberately rotating the back end in a kart is almost second nature to me, but any kind of sliding in the Zed, really unnerves me. Maybe because I know it's my daily drive, would be expensive to repair/replace and I need to get home from the track that I'm more cautious?

^^ Its definitely not that (car etc), its instinctual, where as like you say in a kart, its almost par for the course and what i expect, but i literally cannot get my head into it with a car, no matter what mind set, i have been out with the intention of being happy if it slides, but as soon as it does, i know i do the wrong thing and as mentioned it was the same on bikes :wacko:

Edited by Jetpilot

It's got to be a time thing. Sliding feels like wasted time so you correct. I'm not saying drifters are slow - a good drifter will lap better than your average sprinter,

eg this guy who beat loads of GTRs on the handling track

...but I think if you are deliberately trying to slide it's a world apart from trying to go quickly. If you're going really, really quickly, even a good drifter won't have time to show-boat and will have to fight to cancel out a twitch just like the rest of us.