370z Akebono calipers vs 350z brembos

.:Bullen:.

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this I've been wondering if it is worth upgrading from brembos to the akebonos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a time read this article on OEM 350z Brembos and they performances....

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6565

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Hi guys just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this I've been wondering if it is worth upgrading from brembos to the akebonos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a time read this article on OEM 350z Brembos and they performances....

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6565

That's a good read

I'm I a 370 but think ill stick with stock brakes and good fluid and pads :)

I was in dilemma as well for track use as my current setup is OK for DD but can't cope with track days. I'm not a fan of just upgrading front calipers as it messes up with bias and all, had that on my previous car and Abs was kicking way early. To go a BBK which is good in performance costs a silly money as it is hard to find second hands, possible over the lake but than shipping and import tax will make up for saved money. So after chatting here with few lads I've decided to go with some decent sport 2 piece rotors in front and solid ones at rear with Carbotech Xp10 pads. I'm putting a lot of faith in this 😂

I find the front standard 350 brembo's are not really up to hard track use, even with good pads

, discs and fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Which rotors and pads you where using for hard tracking

I find the front standard 350 brembo's are not really up to hard track use, even with good pads

, discs and fluid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brakes seem to be a hot topic at the moment! The 350's brembos are very good they are just in need of a proper set of pads, braided hoses and fluid that can cope. I've been regularly tracking a Zed for last 5 years and brakes are not a problem at all. Do a search and you'll find all the advice you need just make sure you pick through and find who's talking from experience and worth listening too.

Give Adrian (torqen) big brake kits a look.

I'll be going for the 405mm 8 pots :)

https://www.torqen.u...l-torqen_xtreme

Nearly £4k on these!! You'll get change going for Alcon advantage kit (which I've owned on my Evo) or Performance Friction ZR31 kits both monobloc calipers and proper proper motorsport stuff that will tear your eyes out your head.

This is just my opinion and I'd just urge you to maybe do a bit more looking into it before parting that kind of money, but these are the fronts from Alcon, they maybe bit cheaper else where but these came up:

http://www.rosssport.com/Brands/ALCON-BRAKES-COMPONENTS/ALCON-KITS-COMPONENTS-NISSAN/ALCON-ADVANTAGE-EXTREME-KITS-NISSAN/ALCON-AdEX-FT-365x32mm-6P-NISSAN-350Z-ALCF97ZG02-03F7E

+£250 for some proper pads as the DS's they come with are no good for track work unless you're not tracking it, leaving you a couple of hundred quid left to sort some rear pads/discs. This set up hurts it brakes so hard, I promise you! (and I had 343mm discs on my Evo, this is a 365mm kit)

PS.. if that really is the size of your arms, then you my friend are right and you can do whatever you want!!

This is just my opinion and I'd just urge you to maybe do a bit more looking into it before parting that kind of money, but these are the fronts from Alcon, they maybe bit cheaper else where but these came up:

http://www.rosssport.com/Brands/ALCON-BRAKES-COMPONENTS/ALCON-KITS-COMPONENTS-NISSAN/ALCON-ADVANTAGE-EXTREME-KITS-NISSAN/ALCON-AdEX-FT-365x32mm-6P-NISSAN-350Z-ALCF97ZG02-03F7E

+£250 for some proper pads as the DS's they come with are no good for track work unless you're not tracking it, leaving you a couple of hundred quid left to sort some rear pads/discs. This set up hurts it brakes so hard, I promise you! (and I had 343mm discs on my Evo, this is a 365mm kit)

PS.. if that really is the size of your arms, then you my friend are right and you can do whatever you want!!

Back when I had 21" pipes :(

Sigh. Now I have spaghetti arms and legs!

So feel free to disagree of lol.

Think I have spaghetti arms too so we're all good!

Suppose my point is with that kind of budget there's is some of the very best stuff available, if I see a set of either that I've mentioned behind your wheels in a build thread somewhere I will be very jealous

The PF set up is definitely rarer on street/ track day cars but they are big in motorsport you're also tied to PF for the only pads you can use that I'm sure puts off a few but that is like saying you're stuck with only Megan Fox to sleep with so I'm ok with that and I nearly ordered a set of these as a result

But the alcons are the choice for

BMW Csl Cup brakes

GsXOUMgl.jpg

Noble's new 650bhp M600

Vbrp7hpl.jpg

So proper proven stuff!

And to go back to the original topic I think spending a £1000 on upgrading pads/discs etc with the use of standard Brembos is good enough for most fast road/track work and probably up to taking on most basic BBK available and if you do need something really up to the job then you need to be saving up and going for this level of stuff to really notice huge benefits and take it to the next level.

And to go back to the original topic I think spending a £1000 on upgrading pads/discs etc with the use of standard Brembos is good enough for most fast road/track work and probably up to taking on most basic BBK available and if you do need something really up to the job then you need to be saving up and going for this level of stuff to really notice huge benefits and take it to the next level.

Some good advice there :)

I just couldnt justify the huge figures being discussed here unless i was trying to build a full on time attack car or similar, where you will reap the benefits.

• 4 months later...

I think it's well worth the upgrade not that expensive either compared to going "proper" BBK like AP or Stoptech.

I had issues with fading after a few sessions on track (this depends on the track obviously!) - Mine have been mostly a lot of corners and heavy braking etc. Though I'm pumping a bit more power then standard also put strain on the brakes. Though braking technique is also a reason, might need some work if you have brake fade with proper pads, discs, lines, fluid on Brembo. For me they just got to hot and as a result faded. the bigger sizes of the akebonos really help, only had a chance of one proper track session since I fitted them but really enjoyed them and zero fade!

If staying brembo I'd look at some sort of brake ducts to keep the temps down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Front Brembos are not enough for heavy track driving. Michael Gardner has a really light car and he probably does only 2 to 3 hot laps per session. For that OEM Brembos might be fine.

I have brake ducts, good pads, braided lines and good fluid and I had had no problem with the brakes until I started to really push the car and drive at a limit for more than just a couple of laps. I was just boiling the fluid and the pedal was getting soft but I never had typical pad fading issues. Just need to pump the pedal on straights to bring the fluid pressure up which is annoying. Similar to pad knockback but a lot worse.

There is a reason why 370z has bigger discs! Akebono upgrade is the cheapest option and you only really need to do it with the front calipers.