370z Akebono calipers vs 350z brembos

.:Bullen:.

the question is are the 370z brakes worth upgrading to?

Not suggesting there aren't better available, there are definitely better brakes on the market that will offer more power, better cooling and  lighter weight from the likes of ap, performance friction and alcon and for heavy track use my opinion is that these are better to put your money in to. Budget upgrade I still think you're better off sticking with stock brembos and spending money on discs, pads, fluid, ducting etc rather than just stock 370z items for same money as upgraded brembos would perform better for same cost. 

from what you've written do you think the 370z brakes would stop you boiling the fluid? No.......I don't think they would. They are expensive and they are heavier and I've not seen anyone say they are noticeably more powerful. Your issue seems to be boiling fluid not loss of power from the brembos. What fluid are you using?

ive never boiled fluid to the point of losing the pedal but I have had  pad knock off which is frightening (on previous car) and I do think you get a bit of that with the brembos actually as the biting point does seem to move ever so slightly down the pedal sometimes but it's there when you get there

I have been on track with a mate both 350z in std trim, neither was noticeable faster, my brakes were fine absolutely fine, he boiled his fluid and lost his pedal, its very much down to how you use them more than this combination is right or wrong.

20 hours ago, 350Butcher said:

the question is are the 370z brakes worth upgrading to?

Not suggesting there aren't better available, there are definitely better brakes on the market that will offer more power, better cooling and  lighter weight from the likes of ap, performance friction and alcon and for heavy track use my opinion is that these are better to put your money in to. Budget upgrade I still think you're better off sticking with stock brembos and spending money on discs, pads, fluid, ducting etc rather than just stock 370z items for same money as upgraded brembos would perform better for same cost. 

from what you've written do you think the 370z brakes would stop you boiling the fluid? No.......I don't think they would. They are expensive and they are heavier and I've not seen anyone say they are noticeably more powerful. Your issue seems to be boiling fluid not loss of power from the brembos. What fluid are you using?

ive never boiled fluid to the point of losing the pedal but I have had  pad knock off which is frightening (on previous car) and I do think you get a bit of that with the brembos actually as the biting point does seem to move ever so slightly down the pedal sometimes but it's there when you get there

You brake early based on your videos and you can still push the car a bit more. 

The problem with Brembos is lack of heat dissipation (small discs) and used Akebonos are the cheapest solution. Of course there are better options like st40 or st60. I myself will have to make this choice next year and I still don't know which kit to get. 

• Like 1

I'm not Alonso but I wouldn't say I brake "early".  I could brake a bit later but I do brake hard and make the choice to allow some margin on track......no one wants to be the guy that causes red flags! I'm not gonna be spraying any champagne and taking home a fat cheque when I see the checkered flag either so I'm never at my very very maximum, just in it for the fun and get home safe

In Michael Gardner's vid I posted he does mention on a couple of occasions throughout about "the full 20min session" so I'm sure he's not talking about being OK for 1-2 laps when he says the Brembo's cope well.

As for cheap or budget solution, at £1500 for a set of bone stock 370 brakes that are still going to require a set of proper pads and fluid to cope with any track work I think they're expensive. You can have an AP 6 pot 362mm front kit for around £2000.

Like you I may be looking at a brake kit in the future and I think my first choice is the Performance Friction ZR31 kit, its a work of art! They use these for the Porsche Cup so they should be OK for our Datsun.  As you say you're boiling the fluid, what fluid are you using out of interest? Also I'd like to see how you've done your ducting too.....its something I've thought about but its not the easiest routing to do.......post it or PM me would be good