Question for the insurance guys

retro_al

Okay so im 41 i had about 15 years + no claims, i then went self employed and took out traders insurance, i didnt know at the time that if i didnt have a personal policy still running i would loose all my no claims ( arrrghh )

Now I have always been on the wifes insurance as a named driver, would that mean I do have my 15 + no claims still ?

Reason I'm asking as when I bought my 350z I thought I could insure it under a personal policy easy, but I was told by Adrian flux that they wouldn't even insure me and if they did it would be 4k + ! so I'm a little but peed off as I have insured cosworths and other high risk cars very cheaply.

So I rang my traders insurance and they put the 350 on that policy.

Just thought I would ask regarding being on the wifes insurance for her car.

Thanks Alistair

We had a similar problem recently. The wife had a company car for 4 years, then her company changed their policy and she had to buy her own car again and insure it. She had something like 8 years NCB on her personal policy up until when she got her company car. Unfortunately all the insurance companies we spoke to said that as she hadnt used her NCB for the last 4 years that it was now invalid. Apparently they only let you "keep" your NCB if your not insuring anything for 3 years.

In the end we found an insurance company who was willing to give my wife 4 years NCB if her company could provide a letter assuring them that she had not been involved in any claims or accidents whilst she was insured under the company insurance. So thats what we did.

During all this time, my wife was on my own personal policy as a named driver and that didnt count for anything apparently.

So, based on my experience, maybe you can do the same with a letter from your traders insurance to say you havent made any claims?

• Like 1

I was on a company car and named driver for a year, direct line told me they protect it for 2 years if i go back to them. Having said that I'm with Hastings, 2 months in and so far not asked for proof of no claims, which i find odd. I'm on works insurance to drive anything booked in though.

When I think of the 51 years of making no claims, apart from 3 windscreen repairs, that record seemingly meaning absolutely nothing these days with companies giving you a maximum of 6-9 years NCB benefit. They should be paying me!

On top of that, we have almost obligatory flaff of seeking out the best deal each renewal. With loyalty just seen as companies hoping that once you are hooked you will pay out an increased premium each year rather than search out a better quote.

You really do wonder why companies with your details on the books simply do not do a "compare.com" and offer a renewal deal that matches, or betters other companies so we stay with them that saves all that wasted effort on their part (as well as ours) at each renewal. On a point of principal, I will not stay with the same company when you go back to tell them you are not renewing and they suddendly come up with that matching, or near matching quote......they should have done that in the first place! :dry:

Gets off soapbox....and breathe :lol:

• Like 2

Any claims?

No I have protected no claims :teeth:

No sir, that only protects your bonus

But they're protected? If i've crashed it doesnt matter, you wont put my premium up ;)

No sir we put it up a lot then discount it a little. Have you claimed?

yes :dry:

Okay so im 41 i had about 15 years + no claims, i then went self employed and took out traders insurance, i didnt know at the time that if i didnt have a personal policy still running i would loose all my no claims ( arrrghh )

Now I have always been on the wifes insurance as a named driver, would that mean I do have my 15 + no claims still ?

Reason I'm asking as when I bought my 350z I thought I could insure it under a personal policy easy, but I was told by Adrian flux that they wouldn't even insure me and if they did it would be 4k + ! so I'm a little but peed off as I have insured cosworths and other high risk cars very cheaply.

Thanks Alistair

Hi,

I'm really surprised we couldn't offer you a quotation. We do also have schemes that would accept traders NCD. If you wanted to PM me your details I'd be happy to look into this for you. Unfortunately being a named driver does not accrue NCD.

Regards

Dan

Edited by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Thanks Alistair

We could look at mirrored bonus based on your wife's no claims bonus and the fact they have been on the traders policy? Please give the team a ring.

Thanks for the replys

I have a FCB on my motortrade policy,the 350 is only about a extra £400 on top which I suppose is not bad, I wish somebody would have told me when I stopped my personal policy as I would just have insured the wifes car,if I ever change from being self employed I guess my car will have to go.

I have been driving since I was 17 with no claims ever, driving is the only thing I have ever been good at lol

Thanks again Alistair

• 4 weeks later...

I was on a company car and named driver for a year, direct line told me they protect it for 2 years if i go back to them. Having said that I'm with Hastings, 2 months in and so far not asked for proof of no claims, which i find odd. I'm on works insurance to drive anything booked in though.

Just had mine cancelled by Hastings after 6 weeks. They didn't ask for proof of NCD for a whole month then rejected it as it was just over two years old. Offered to re broker it and went from £218 (with 6 years NCD) to over £1000. If they'd sorted this out and asked for proof of NCD efficiently I could have cancelled within cooling off period with no cancellation fee. Because they dragged their heels they now want £45 cancellation fee. Guess what - they will be losing my business PERMANENTLY - AVOID. Scammers !!!

Angry doesn't even come close!

Best so far is Tesco Bank at £260 and they will accept company car NCD so I'm looking into that tomorrow.

I'm 55 years old and driven claim free for over 30 years - insurance industry are just a load of sharks.

Just had mine cancelled by Hastings after 6 weeks. They didn't ask for proof of NCD for a whole month then rejected it as it was just over two years old. Offered to re broker it and went from £218 (with 6 years NCD) to over £1000. If they'd sorted this out and asked for proof of NCD efficiently I could have cancelled within cooling off period with no cancellation fee. Because they dragged their heels they now want £45 cancellation fee. Guess what - they will be losing my business PERMANENTLY - AVOID. Scammers !!!

Angry doesn't even come close!

Best so far is Tesco Bank at £260 and they will accept company car NCD so I'm looking into that tomorrow.

I'm 55 years old and driven claim free for over 30 years - insurance industry are just a load of sharks.

Does that go on your permanent record now?

I.e. When insurers ask if you've ever had insurance declined / cancelled, you have to say yes and bend over?

Yes. This is a really, really bad thing.

Oh so easy to say now, but I'd have paid the £45 as it would be a lot cheaper than declaring the cancelled insurance. Check that Tesco specifically didn't ask you about cancelled policies before signing up, else you could be driving with no legal policy.

This might be sorted with a letter from Hastings to confirm that, given the circumstances, they do not consider the policy as cancelled. Easier said than done to achieve though I suspect.

That's appalling. Fortunately I have my proof of ncd from my time with direct line and then being a named driver on the wife's insurance, so if they do ask is available. But seeing add is been 3 months since starting the policy, that's how long I'll keep them waiting for before I send it.