PistonHeads Sunday Service 05/03

davey_83

Hopefully the weather will be decent, although the track sessions are always carnage anyway so maybe a bit of rain will make them even more entertaining...

Not that I want to see anyone damage their cars, but there's always at least half per session who have no idea that three abreast into a corner isn't a good idea.

Hopefully the weather will be decent, although the track sessions are always carnage anyway so maybe a bit of rain will make them even more entertaining...

Not that I want to see anyone damage their cars, but there's always at least half per session who have no idea that three abreast into a corner isn't a good idea.

Filling me with confidence Dan, cheers :surrender:

What time is best to try and get there for? Ive never been to a SS, so it'll be all new for me.

Aim for about 15mins before everything opens properly, that way you won't queue for too long but neither will you be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Filling me with confidence Dan, cheers :surrender:

Eeep, sorry dude! All I will say is that make sure you're 100% happy with your track insurance, and don't dream of running the session without it. I've seen way, way too many close calls on these taster sessions at Silverstone across the PHSS as well as the big shows like Japfest, Trax etc.

I'd love to get mine on track too, but I just won't risk it having seen the standards of driving. I'm sure half of it is down to the briefing/marshalling too, mind. What time are you running? Later sessions seem to be better than the early ones, especially as the section round by the pits doesn't get the sun until much later (and that's the worst part to crash, as there's a very solid wall there).

James Drake just confirmed this morning that Moris aren't offering track insurance this time round, which I bet is going to annoy a load of people who booked on the premise that that would be available again.

Weather not looking great either right now, not even on the Saturday when I wanted to clean the car :(

So my 2nd track day was pretty cold again, 4 deg and had hail stones and heavy rain :lol:

On the way up I saw a yellow Aventador going south bound on the M40, stationary, facing north bound with some fair damage to the front end... Then as I was nearing Silverstone I saw a 997 Turbo in a hedge :wacko:

Finally just before my first session I saw a poor Civic that had gone into the pit wall with severe front end damage.

Confidence inspiring at it's best !

I initially booked just 1 session as I wasn't sure what the other drivers would be like.

In the end I had 3 sessions, one back to back and one later in the afternoon, a friend in a Cayman GT4 backed out and gave me his ones.

Actually overall the behaviour was largely good, styling of cars is a true indicator of bellendness on track so it was easy to avoid.

I backed off, chill out for a few seconds and pedal on.

I did find some drivers, like me were total novices but they were going very slow in corners and belting it up the straights, then I'm right behind them again in the corners.

It usually takes a lap and then finally they realise and move.

The last session was pretty cool, barely anyone out there and it felt like I had the place to myself so I could try out a few different lines.

I managed 13.8mpg, I'll try harder next time !

Looking forward to the next track day, tuition is required as the youtube videos only get you so far.

Driver61 being my favourite :)

• Like 2

I stayed in bed as the weather just looked awful :lol:

I wanted to stay in bed too but I'd committed some cash already, and then Mr GT4 gave me his sessions.

I've had no luck with the weather but TBH probably better as it doesn't put me off.