[Insert Many Swear Words]

Strudul

Good work, you've posted up half the job, then moaned when people have given reasonable feedback, only half knowing the crack, then revealed the second half of the job in your defence.

:clap:

The very first line* of the OP says:

Door handles and side + rear emblems came out great

*Depending on screen resolution

My bad, I should have read It more thoroughly.

• Like 1

Personally I would have removed the items and if that wasn't possible then I would of masked off the entire area.

As already stated though I think the only resolution for this is a respray unfortunately. Lesson learnt I'm sure and I can only imagine how gutting this is for you Strudul.

Wish you all the best in rectifying the problem. :thumbs:

- Removing parts was a lot of extra effort that I didn't think would be required (and it wasn't for my handles and side + rear emblems).

- Masking off an emblem sounds too difficult due to the size and shape.

- Probably cheaper to just buy a new front bumper if I can find one in the right colour. They seem to sell for £70-£100, which is probably half the price of a pro repaint. Alternatively I might just try repairing the damaged parts, at least as a temporary solution, might not be perfect, but will be a lot cheaper and I can hardly make it look any worse.

- Not sure what I'm supposed to do about the lip under the front grill now though. I had intended to spray that too, but I can't mask the paintwork off there since the paintwork is precisely what i'm trying to spray...

Edited by Strudul

- Masking off an emblem sounds too difficult due to the size and shape.

- Probably cheaper to just buy a new front bumper if I can find one in the right colour. They seem to sell for £70-£100, which is probably half the price of a pro repaint. Alternatively I might just try repairing the damaged parts, at least as a temporary solution, might not be perfect, but will be a lot cheaper and I can hardly make it look any worse.

Masking off an emblem maybe difficult but a lot easier to deal with then the mess you're in now. :p *sorry*

I'm good at masking though from years of model making, painting and also working as a Rapid Prototyping Technician for almost 5 years where we prototyped parts for companies which involved a lot of painting & masking at times.

Maybe hit zmanalex or Jon@Emperor Tuning with a PM to see if they have any bumpers in stock the same colour. ;)

• Like 1

What was the reason for using this stuff over the tried and tested plastidip out of interest?

Price and reviews.

PlastiDip is $6 per can in the US. The low price is partly why it's so popular. However, because they don't sell it directly over here, it costs ~£15 (presumably to cover import and shipping costs).

The Rust-Oleum stuff is much cheaper (£8) since it is sold as a UK product (not because it's lower quality, it's just sold internationally and priced accordingly - I think it's actually a more expensive alternative to PlastiDip in the US). From reading reviews it was also quite highly rated when compared to PlastiDip. Apparently it sprays thinner, making it easier to get a decent finish and remove. The only negative I saw was the nozzle has radial spray pattern rather than a fan.

Edited by Strudul

Why is everyone giving the guy so much stick lol

The paint he used shouldn't do that it should peel off easily. Just like plastidip or any other brand. Just because plastidip is the famous brand doesn't mean it's the only one. Rustoleum is a well known brand for paints. Iv used a cheaper brand than rustoleum with no issues

No need to remove the emblems if your peeling off the paint. And no need to mask it off either. It should peel off easily

My gut feeling is the paint job wasn't done well originally

Edited by LRF4N
  • Like 4

Strudul, both myself and my mate have used this exact product from Halfords on our 350z's (I did the buttom, middle of my front bumper. He did the same + Aerial and some other bits) and neither of us have had anything like what you have pictured.

Yeah sure we masked around the bits we were spraying (as i found it lifted the bits I wanted to keep when trying to peel off) but even so you still get overspray and nothing happened.

I suggest your bumper has had a poor/bad sprayjob previously and its reacted with whatever **** poor quality was done prior.

• Like 2

For now I think I'd like to try just respraying the damaged areas. I know it's hard to match silver, but paints4u do a full repair kit which is highly rated. Even if it's not perfect it can't look any worse than it does currently.

I know sod all about painting, but is there anything I can coat the rest of my bumper in to protect it and prevent this problem reoccurring if I try dip it again (I still want to do the middle part below the grill)? I'm assuming the dip has reacted with the lacquer, so could I just spray a few coats of quality lacquer over the entire bumper?

Like I said in my other post what on earth possessed you to do this on the z and not remove it ?.Hope you get the damaged fixed.

Cos the majority of people do it that way and it's designed with that purpose in mind. :(

Seeing as the plan was to do the lip below the front bumper grill, I was going to get it on my paint eventually. Admittedly the damage would have only been on a part I wanted to paint anyway, but it was never supposed to do any damage in the first place...

Handling... Bottling it up.. Same thing, right? :lol:

As much as I don't enjoy the situation, getting upset about it doesn't achieve anything. Have a little whinge, try understand what went wrong, and learn from the mistakes. :thumbs: Plus it's kinda insignificant when compared to my £60k student debt. :happy:

• Like 2

Hope so.Impressed with your maturity in handling the feedback and situation at such a relatively young age.Hope you get it corrected soon.

Agree, most forums I've been part of would have resulted in full blown rage filled arguments. But I guess that says more about my old chavvy forums for corsas corollas colts and celicas...hmm my 1st non c forum.
  • Like 2

60k??? Dr strudul will see you now.

Not quite, I think they have even higher debt (though it might not be with NHS bursaries etc)

5 year MEng (4 taught, 1 placement)

Tuition fee = ~£9k x 4

Maintenance loan = ~£6k x 4

Placement year fee = ~£1k

Placement year maintenance loan ~£3k

Rough figures, but that comes out to ~£64k :thumbs:

No way I'm sticking around to do a doctorate. :lol:

Edited by Strudul

I would suggest thats a dodgy paint job, thats it. Personally id never spray something on the car, id have removed the front badge and removed the door handles etc etc.

But do feel for you, id be gutted. youre gonna need a front respray and looks like both doors too. Thats gonna be around the £1500-£2000 mark id suggest.

Hope you get it sorted, you must be suicidal! Good luck.