My Slow but steady build

Lurch

Hey guys, though now i have actually done a few mods worth talking about i should probably keep a little log of it all.

The day of the test drive

IMG_4007_zpsj2gwblvu.jpg

and took her to my favourite spot by loch lomond the day she was delivered

IMG_4032_zpsy3mpllkx.jpg

So I've had the car about 2 years now and have been really enjoying it but it certainly tied up a lot of funds to start with with insurance and finance payments so not a lot other than necessities were done so she stayed standard for quite a while.

First thing i had to sort was a knocking at the front drives side so took it to Infinity in Glasgow to get it had a look at, they replaced tracked end and the drop-links to deal with the knocking and that solved that.

next was its first MOT since i owned it which i don't know about you all but i find that quite nervy as you never quite know whats going to happen, but she passed with no advisories or anything so was very happy about that.

after that the exhaust fell off... literally.. it was there when i got in and i dropped the wife at uni, drove home and it was sounding weird... well one of the standard exhaust tips (the bit that came from the back box out) was missing completely....... :angry: :angry: :angry: ..... so i guessed the right thing to do was have a proper look underneath the car and see what else was in good / bad condition with the exhaust.. and the hole back box had rusted and the flange to the mid pipe was pretty bad so time for a new shiny exhaust..... went for a Japspeed K4 - I was aware a lot of people on here didn't rate them but id used there stuff before when i had a civic and had no issue so thought id give it a go.... and its GREAT :teeth: :teeth: true dual and all the looks of an invidia or HKS but for less than £600 so up on the jack stands she went and got fitted...with a trip to a local garage to drill the cat studs out so i could use the bolts provided and didn't have to worry about rounding nuts.

and while under the back end of her i though i might as well do the bumper tuck .... so i used a few cable ties and this was the results.

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-21%20at%2021.20.04_zpsmtlxgypl.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-21%20at%2021.19.55_zpsrsw6ii1m.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-21%20at%2021.19.45_zpsxrla5abg.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-21%20at%2021.19.34_zpsds1i5t2a.jpg

IMG_0322_zpsbz33a0br.jpg

then decided to remove the rear wiper... I'm 6'5 and can't see anything out of it at all anyway so why worry about a wiper :lol: :lol:

changed over to a square front plate after that.

IMG_1045_zps0khqv9fy.jpg

then a LED conversion on interior and number plate lights.

then i gave her a full P3 kinda service

• Oil - Castrol magnetic 5w30
  • HKS purple oil filter
  • iridium spark plugs
  • gear box oil change and moly slip
  • cosworth air filter
  • full nissan coolant change with flush

then came time for new tires so fronts and rears went to fk453's - find these a really good tire and haven't had 1 ounce of bother with them.

IMG_2850_zpsbog1xwil.jpg

did this and then a few months later got a check engine light ... took her to infinity and they said it was cam position sensor so got that sorted.

then came the decision to upgrade my knob... so went for a full carbon fibre one and it properly changed the way the interior looks :lol: :lol:

IMG_2849_zpsdghh74qc.jpg

also thought i should try and sort out the clouding on the lights

before

IMG_1047_zpsvmh2hhn5.jpg

And after

IMG_1049_zpsqguod9qa.jpg

and this is how she looked after all that

Screen%20Shot%202017-02-21%20at%2021.20.33_zpsv522pmu7.jpg

so decided that i wanted to make some more drastic changes and always been into the drift/timeattack styling for a car so first thing i had to do was get my self a BIG GAY WING

so thats what i got

IMG_2848_zpsodq5mm5g.jpg

and got that fitted

IMG_2518_zpsed12bgs8.jpg

after that i realised it looked like a 4x4 with a GT wing on it so got some 30mm lowering springs and me and the old man fitted them.

30A9F77C-6703-4FE9-9EDD-7C456964DB73_zpspe6jzfbl.jpg

before is at the bottom

sitting much better now :) but started to realise that the back looked quite good and the front a little unbalanced so got myself a nice front lip and fitted that.

IMG_2787_zpstwpv5qrb.jpg

IMG_2789_zpsv51in9sr.jpg

IMG_2789_zpsv51in9sr.jpg

IMG_2803_zpssktmuvmg.jpg

IMG_2790%201_zps14wiubx9.jpg

thought i would give this tyre writing a bash and see what i thought...... it pretty much looks crap.... :thumbsdown:

since lowering it unfortunately a knock has appeared at the front again, took it to infinity agian and they thought it could be drop links again - i changed the drop-links over to adjustable ones and set them up... no dice... knock still there so now trying for think what it will be ... probably need to get banana arm the bush looks pretty torn up

infinity also told me that i needed to get some new brakes soon as i was about 75% on the backs and 90% on the fronts..

so a message to @mitz from cougarstore and he sorted me out with some black diamonds disc that were supposed to be delivered today but i was at work so ill get them on thursday

So thats us up to date like i said it will not be a lot that happens at once but I will do my best to keep this up to date.

more pics from along the way just coz i can on the album just click any of the pics above...

Thanks for reading so far

• Like 6

Brakes didn't quite go to plan.

Started with the back right and couldn't get the calliper bolts to come off. So rather than rounding them I got booked in for next week with dynatune for the discs and pads fitting.

Shame I couldn't do it my self but better that than break stuff

IMG_2856_zps4z0h0bct.jpg

• 9 months later...

So small update from the last few months .... I'm not really very good at keeping up with this stuff...... :/

Got the brakes sorted by Chris at Dyna tune in East kilbride, and I have to say top guy and good quality work from him :)

So with maintenance out the way a couple more mods came after a trip to the BDC to see Iain @bizz Phillips' TarmacSportz350z weapon of a car. Seeing him and meeting the people that were there was great and has made me start getting into drifting a lot more seriously so from this point we started getting the car ready for learning to drift. 

IMG_3901.thumb.jpg.be1239aad47ff6400d831cdc1f38f4bd.jpgIMG_3891.thumb.jpg.7f1291e98dd9066215e58facf41c48c3.jpgIMG_3900.thumb.jpg.7cee2838fc228d2e0527b1024214dee2.jpg

First I upgraded to an aftermarket drift style steering wheel which is hooked up using the NRG short hub without a quick release. I'm a fairly tall guy and it would have been far too close to me with a normal QR on and Im not sure about the thin ones... I don't know if ill struggle getting in and out once I have got a bucket seat and harness sorted but I will have to deal with that once I get the seat.

IMG_3937.thumb.jpg.43b4fc8f1f2bb46673c1e4db17d3a36d.jpgIMG_3971.thumb.jpg.f02b4f838fdc99a99a03204a0389ce9f.jpg

after this I was stuck on weather or not to strip the back of the car out.....I still use the car as a daily driver and worried it might be too much....

but then I decided to man up and just do it........ but keep it all in my shed incase its a really bad idea :lol:

so this is all the stuff that came out..

IMG_4419.thumb.jpg.8a466db17928cdac4b881920ee2fff53.jpg

And i only broke one piece!!!!!! :yahoo:

and this is how the rear looks now.

IMG_4425.thumb.JPG.dea1034bf7f87ceaeda91d3a8204430f.JPG

So then I went and picked up some GT rays to use as drift spares - 2 rears in decent condition for a good price - means i know they clear the brembos and i know the tire sizes

next on the list is spacers, a bucket seat, harness and harness bar so keeping my fingers crossed that santa is good to me :lol:

Now i just need to sort some tires for the spare wheels as they came with winters on and I am pretty much ready for my first event next month...:teeth: 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 14/01/2018 at 14:55, alistair said:

are you planning to put seats in?

if so what have you got in mind?

Yeah I did. 

I’ve put a couple of pics of it in here. 

Not it got a lot more done in the way of mods but I had to do a few repairs so that’s all been done. 

E92A7EB8-5596-475F-9DA2-58A545BB8731.jpeg

A94D7893-6838-49C2-972A-025E8FD294F2.jpeg

19 hours ago, Colin747 said:

Gonna ask a daft question here so bear with me, how does a normal 3 point belt work with a bucket seat like that?

I haven't got harnesses yet so needs must, but basically the belt on the door side is still attached as normal. and the buckle of the belt on the inside is attached to a mounting point on the seats subframe.

it was either that or wrap harnesses around the rear strut brace thing.... im not the smallest of guys so it still holds me in the same places and i don't do a lot of miles really so.....

will be upgrading to a harness bar and harness in the near future.

ahh OK, to be honest I like the idea of keeping the 3 point with a bucket seat (it's still my daily) so was curious how well it worked/is it as safe as a normal seat with 3 a point.

Edited by Colin747

39 minutes ago, Colin747 said:

ahh OK, to be honest I like the idea of keeping the 3 point with a bucket seat (it's still my daily) so was curious how well it worked/is it as safe as a normal seat with 3 a point.

realistically, it's not quite as safe as with a normal seat but it will be just as safe as a harness without a submarine belt you could probably slide under the belt a little.

14 hours ago, HEADPHONES said:

Not sure why I've never read this thread before but it looks like your zed has found an enthusiastic owner.

Thanks for sharing and keep on posting :thumbs:

Thanks man.

Probably not read it coz im terrible at updating this stuff!