Insurance claim - car break in

Flex

I have not done any research yet so bear with me.

Went to London at the weekend, decided to drive vs taking the train due to the amount of baggage. Big mistake.

Came back to Shogun yesterday afternoon and rear window smashed, took a couple of bags.

So questions are if anyone know the answers off top off their head (Obvs going to check policies anyway):

1) Do I have the option to claim of either house insurance or car insurance for belongings stolen and in terms of premiums what's people opinions better to do car (Admiral - protected no claims or house insurance?)

2) Is windscreen cover only for front screen? (Guess it's just the front).

3) If I notify rear screen to car insurer does that oblige me to disclose contents stolen (if claiming on house insurance?)

4) Any other factors to consider?

Current state of play, poor old girl (god I need to get that other photo sharing account set up):

Shogun%20rear%20screen_zpshp5gv4p3.jpg

As always, thanks guys.

Absolute swines. Sorry mate that's awful. With the insurance I think it changed so it depended upon whether or not your goods were on display. If they were covered and out of sight you were good, if not they wouldn't cover. As to how they'd know its hard to tell, they employ people to avoid having to pay out. But all insurers are different. With your glass I think it applies to all glass, not just front screen.

• Like 1

Your house insurance may not pay out on the basis that the bags would be covered by an additional insurance, i.e. you car. Your car insurance may not pay out on the basis that they were on view (if they were). You may not be able to claim windscreen cover (if it does cover all glass) as it was theft and not a crack caused by a stone etc.

Like you say, check your policies as they'll all be different.

Edited by KyleR
  • Like 1

sorry to see this, they are just complete lowlifes

personally I would go for possessions from your house insurance.....any claim from your car insurance, is going to up your premium, regardless of protected NCB

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 2

Depends on value of items but it might not be worth making a claim. I would certainly go for house insurance rather than car if possible, as once they mark down you have made a claim then premiums will go up.

Another thing, is home insurance will want a crime reference number. When one of my old cars was broken in, the old bill were not interested at all. Unless the scrote had left blood everywhere so they could get a dna sample, they didnt want to know. They didnt even come out. They said no point in checking for fingerprints as they would have certainly been wearing gloves etc. etc.

I dont know the value of the goods that were stolen however, keep in mind if you do lodge a claim it will be with you for 5 years. The price of the rear glass not be much more than your excess.

I would probably kick a tree or something then just bite the bullet and pay it myself :thumbs:

• Like 4

Depends on value of items but it might not be worth making a claim. I would certainly go for house insurance rather than car if possible, as once they mark down you have made a claim then premiums will go up.

Another thing, is home insurance will want a crime reference number. When one of my old cars was broken in, the old bill were not interested at all. Unless the scrote had left blood everywhere so they could get a dna sample, they didnt want to know. They didnt even come out. They said no point in checking for fingerprints as they would have certainly been wearing gloves etc. etc.

Police left me a crime reference number on the windscreen! Which is the only small mercy in this.

If you want to claim for the glass and not mention a break in, just say the wind grabbed it when opening it. Swung back hit your gate post or something ;) Used to work for the RAC on the glass side, all are covered usually and excesses range from 50 to 80. A bonded heated rear will stand you about £250 cash fitted.

• Like 2

Yeah, commit insurance fraud to get a window replaced...

The advice that keeps on giving :lol:

Sorry Flex I know you're smarter than to do something like this. Sorry to hear about this and hope you get sort d with the minimum expense and fuss..... now go and treat your workers to a lap dance :lol:

• Like 2

This is the entire problem with car insurance, these companies have made it so complicated and created a culture of "not wanting to claim for fear of higher costs" that they get away without paying up for things.

This is a genuine attack where criminal damage was caused and theft of property and you are either not going to claim or find out they won't give you anything anyway due to clauses.

I dislike insurance companies almost as much as the criminals that did it.

Rant over...

• Like 1

If you want to claim for the glass and not mention a break in, just say the wind grabbed it when opening it. Swung back hit your gate post or something ;) Used to work for the RAC on the glass side, all are covered usually and excesses range from 50 to 80. A bonded heated rear will stand you about £250 cash fitted.

Now that's useful. Cheers dude. :thumbs: