First time into the Ring

G1en

More specifically the Green Hell, i know how some of you think!

Me and the bro are booked in for weekend of 20th May and cannot wait although the thought of driving the zed with no insurance to fall back on is a little scary, the moto "you only live once" always makes my decisions.

So, What i need from you good people is the essentials list or highly recommended for travel to/from and during the time on track.

My Zed has already had a bit spent on it. I wont go into the full list as will do a build thread soon and i will hopefully be getting the uprev done in April. What i know i will need are better pads. Got the hawk ceramic standard type pads at minute which say strictly road use so what are the better option. I am not bothered about squeel but would prefer low dust although again rather have the performance than clean wheels as gonna be doing more track days in future. Also does the oil need upgrading? Mitz will be doing a service soon, heard that the titan race oil is a great option?

I have already purchased a helmet. Any other safety related items needed?

Then onto travel. Going from Hull on P&O ferries to Zeebrugge. The Zed is lowered by around 40mm. Any issue getting on/off ferry?

What do i need for travel through Belgium to Germany? Do i realy need headlight stickers when all driving will be done in daylight, Is it ok to just have them in glovebox? Do i need a first aid kit? Again, people that have been, were you stopped anytime and asked to show A,B an C ?

I will be getting Greenflag breakdown assistance for Europe before I go or is there a preffered option?

My passport runs out in August but i dont think you need 6 months left on like outside EU

Any other tips and advise welcome. Need to know how you pay for laps as i believe its all done on an app now, changed 2016 if someone could confirm

Hopefully this will give great advise to others going for the first time this year and in the future.

You need a high viz vest, breathalyser, emergency triangle and first aid kit for driving in europe, I bought mine of eBay for £15.00. Tyres have to be above 3mm I think for Germany you'd want more for the track.

If you have xenons you don't need beam adjuster stickers, to be fair I didn't use them on my last 2 years of the ring, once in a new mini and the 370z, I didn't have the stickers and had no problems.

You don need a helmet or any safety clothing for driving the nordschleife as it's classed as a German road.

Buy a ring card from the Nurburgring website, I paid £100ish for a 4 ring card, arrived after a week or so and meant I could drive straight to the barrier and onto the track and didn't have to go to the office, wait and buy laps. (No price difference buts save so much time)

Main thing I learn warm your brakes up on the way to the track and on the 1st mile of the track, I didn't and didn't have any brake problems, my brother didn't in the xkr and after a lap had brake judder all the way home, think iphe had to get new brakes.

Have fun and stay right to be over taken and you'll be fine

Lee

You need a European travel pack you can get one on the internet I paid about 20quid and need all these things for driving in Europe... warning triangle, breathaliser, spare bulbs, first aid, hi viz, headlight stickers, you need to take a copy of v5 I think, I went last year in my s2000 on eurotunnel, I paid for my laps at a desk at the entrance, 27euros a lap or 4 for 100, or 10 for 250 I think etc I went in August there was nothing said about an app, I got road side care that meant they would bring my car home if anything unfixable at the roadside was to happen, think I paid 80 quid for that, roadside assistance means they will try to repair your car at the side of the road, or tow your a maximum distance to you hotel or nearest garage within 100miles say,

Not sure about what oil or pads to use but i will be going again in August so i will be keeping an eye on your thread to find out what to change on mine lol but i would think race oil, brake fluid and pads would be good, id also take a few litres of spare oil just in case, when your there the petrol stations round the ring entrance sell 98 and 105 octane race fuel I used to 105 octane fuel in my s2000 wether it made any difference I don't know, but i bet it would in the 350 beast