Plenum spacer AND mrev2

SlickRick

Hi guys,

Looking for thoughts, I'm planning on having nwp big bore throttlebody and decats fitted then going for another remap soon but was wondering have I gone overkill have both the plenum spacer and mrev2 fitted? Should I remove one and if so which one?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Just generally driving around after fitting decats + that amount of extra air may have an effect on the spark plugs,

But if you get it tuned properly after I can't seeing it being overkill,

I mean check out the design of this: https://www.torqen.uk/nissan/350z/engine/plenum-spacers/599-350z-de-kinetix-racing-velocity-manifold-intake-plenum--kx-vm-z33.htm

Either way, at base tune don't expect to run "perfect" with all mods combine listed, but after a tune you should see some good numbers and throttle response :)

Im sure the map is good, i had uprev via horsham developments. When I had uprev done last year I did custom exhaust system, hfc, velocity stack, new filter, plenum spacer and mrev2. I've since heard that much volume may be an issue so I wanted to gather more info from others especially of anybody has done the same.

Is the Mrev2 lower plenum not just for Revup engines?

Correct, totally useless for a DE.

not so sure i agree with this one i fitted the mrev2 to my de and found it did make a small noticable diffrence also when mapped also again i assue it adds to the gains

Is the Mrev2 lower plenum not just for Revup engines?

Correct, totally useless for a DE.

not so sure i agree with this one i fitted the mrev2 to my de and found it did make a small noticable diffrence also when mapped also again i assue it adds to the gains

Interesting, so what gains did the MREV give?

Whilst I havent had a big throttle body on a 350z I have had them on 2 other cars, the first an rx7 which I took off a week after being mapped as unless you were wide open throttle it was hideous and I currently have one on my vx220, it is a little better, but any low rpm throttle response is gone I.e driving through traffic is not enjoyable, just not worth it for the small gains, unless your on track all the time where your up in the rev range.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

The Mrev2 is actually a DE lower plenum, though. So you'd be removing your plenum and replacing it with a £400 new one with a bit of the nearest 2 snorkels sanded down a bit :shrug:

Agreed that's why I'm keen to see what these gains are, especially being noticeable and the fact Motordyne done market the item for a DE.

Edited by Wasso

From what i remember during my research on the types of lower plenum, one has shorter intake runners than the other, which in effect will lower low end torque a bit, and as Jetpilot says bigger TBs are really only an advantage when wide open, the small amount of extra air volume that's available during part throttle is not going to make much difference, unless you have a stroker or overbore.

And yes i have seen all the info on how the VQ is strangled on WOT, but remember on the road you don't drive everywhere at WOT, in fact most of the time its just part throttle, and that's where you spend most of your time, so that where you want your gains.

• Like 1

My rx7 was so poor you couldnt even hold part throttle without it hunting all over, if not completely dying, yes this could have been dialled out with some extensive dyno work and at 100 plus an hour I just couldnt be bothered, with some investigation is was mainly the 1/4 mile boys who used them as they only needed wot.

Please give it some careful consideration op.

The Mrev2 is actually a DE lower plenum, though. So you'd be removing your plenum and replacing it with a £400 new one with a bit of the nearest 2 snorkels sanded down a bit :shrug:

i couldnt give you actulay gains as i dont know what it was running before and after and its had a bunch of other bits since then aswell.

the above is right but where 2 of them have been taken down it does incresase the airflow when i put it on i though it was notiably quicker and somewhat smoother through the rev range at a guess ide say 5bph possible more but could say for certain.

its in effect the same as adding a spacer as gives more volume to the plenum and i think the sanding down of areas on it also smooths out the air flow.

It all adds up though, nothing with this engine really makes a huge gain, I think the biggest is the y pipe and the cats.

What is a wiser more worthy product? That's subjective surely if I've done all the breathing mods & sorted congestion at the y pipe..

Supercharger...

But seriously, have a chat with fakebentaylor on here, you need to be thinking long tube headers, wild cams, but again with the big throttle body, you loose drivability and low end grunt.

There are loads of na tuning threads on here and unless you want to spend thousands, the vq isnt suited to big gains or really any gains past breathing mods.

If I was a DE owner and it gave me less than 5hp for the price of a MREV2 I'd rather spend my money on a wiser more worthy product.

You can't say c~5hp is going to be noticeable. 25, yes, but not 5!

it depends what they sell for i didnt buy my one new think i paid £230 ish for it so was quite happy with that and sold the old lower for £50 so total for me was sub £200 that why i did it not sure i would have if i had to buy one new

but as said it all adds up

Supercharger...

But seriously, have a chat with fakebentaylor on here, you need to be thinking long tube headers, wild cams, but again with the big throttle body, you loose drivability and low end grunt.

There are loads of na tuning threads on here and unless you want to spend thousands, the vq isnt suited to big gains or really any gains past breathing mods.

Not likely to go SC anytime soon, was just wondering if I actually need both plenum spacer and mrev2 as I will uprev again when I have decats fitted so would've removed one of them.

When I had uprev last year at hdev I asked about headers and funnily somebody had them fitted and made not even 1hp, i've quite in a few forums apparently the stock ones are actually pretty good.

Admit I've been put off throttlebody now

Supercharger...

Not likely to go SC anytime soon, was just wondering if I actually need both plenum spacer and mrev2 as I will uprev again when I have decats fitted so would've removed one of them.

When I had uprev last year at hdev I asked about headers and funnily somebody had them fitted and made not even 1hp, i've quite in a few forums apparently the stock ones are actually pretty good.

Admit I've been put off throttlebody now

de cats are hit and miss most wont give any hp gains more an increase in torque tho talking minimal tho decats are just a quick way to make it louder

ide go with high flow cats if you have the money for them, more free flowing no faffing for mot's ect

Already fitted. Happen to know a guy now who will save me the faffing about in the future hence me feeling for the decats

slickrick, any difference with the hiflows with the tune?

and according to the chart posted on pg1, motordyne posted more gains with the combination of bolt-on's .... did you get a tune between each mod or all at once...i assumed all at once. curious on how your combination of Mods responded compared to Motordyne's advertised graphs.

I didnt catch if yours was a g35 or a 350gt, and DE or HR ?

My experience:

Ive got a g35 sedan...DE. With the DE alot of mods seem to be hit or miss, but ultimately the overall health and environmental conditions of the motor would determine how well the mods respond. So in your case, the environmental conditions of the UK is bit different from the states. I can tell you on warm days here, my G feels sluggish compared to a cooler morning. In the states i drove it from NY to TX and all parts inbetween. Overall i feel like it pulls a bit better here in the UK...but ive never had a tune. In the states i had JWT pop, coupe midpipe, and HR OEM cats. I think the HR cats are a bit less restrictive than the DE..but i could be wrong. Car definetly improved.

October i installed a ISR Y-pipe, and a custome stainless 3'' to resonator and from the resonator to the backbox was a short 3'' to 2.5'' inlet of the backbox. Car definitely pulls harder, but i plan on adding the plenum spacer and possibly decat or hiflows....but id like to see your gains. I have 160+K on the clock..for a 15 year old car i choose my mods carefully to maintain drivability and reduce strain on the motor.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/112027-us-spec-g35-in-north-yorksbeen-around-for-a-bitformal-introduction/

Edited by Sinnistar