Supercharged 5.0 V8 Jag XKR

Commander

Think I'm struggling with the Jag a bit... :-( It's beautiful, sounds good and goes like a rocket down the motorways, but I'm struggling to love it.

The right elbow rest is rock hard and actually hurts, the fuel tank is too small, the intermittent wipers are bonkers, the infotainment system is poor and, because it's so well insulated, it only really feels fast when you're well in to instant-ban territory.

I miss the sporty / interactive nature of Z driving; found myself looking at Caymans, 911s, 370s, etc earlier :-/ I can't believe I'm dissatisfied with such a lusted after car?!

• Like 1

Fair play for being honest, most people don't.

It's hard to go from a sports coupe to a GT, and you do need to adjust your brain and expectations a bit. There are ways of making the car what you want, but at what cost? I reckon the Jag could be made to be better, but you'll never get round the weight and size of the damn thing.

Depends how much more you're happy to put in, and whether you think you'll get that value back in enjoyment. I'd definitely start by changing the stuff that's easy to do (fit softer padding to the arm rest, remove some sound deadening) but after that I don't know. I had to do a fair amount to mine to get it to handle rather than waft, would you be prepared to do the same?

As obvious as it sounds, especially coming from me, but a 911 would give you the best of all worlds. Chuckable, waftable, involving, and a decent size fuel tank. But it's not a V8, and the pull of those is strong!

• Like 1

Think I'm struggling with the Jag a bit... :-( It's beautiful, sounds good and goes like a rocket down the motorways, but I'm struggling to love it.

The right elbow rest is rock hard and actually hurts, the fuel tank is too small, the intermittent wipers are bonkers, the infotainment system is poor and, because it's so well insulated, it only really feels fast when you're well in to instant-ban territory.

I miss the sporty / interactive nature of Z driving; found myself looking at Caymans, 911s, 370s, etc earlier :-/ I can't believe I'm dissatisfied with such a lusted after car?!

I know what you mean about the infotainment its pretty dire although it sounds much much better than the 350/370, the 370 is much more XKR like than it is 350 like in my opinion , unless you got for the Nismo which is kinda getting there but pricey for what you get.

I'd suggest waiting until the weather improves some more , in sport with trac on they are a very different beast, you just cant drive it hard at the moment , whereas its easy to put 300hp down

How big is the tank then ? I get about the same range out of the XF (and mpg) as I did in the 370z

I find im getting similar miles out of a tank in my 370z as i did in my XKR,albeit a 4.2... I thought the 5 litre was a little better on fuel due to better gearbox?

Well if you cant get on with it,and you dont love it... Send it my way,and you can have my 370z... :)

Interesting read! Always had a soft spot for these so interesting to hear your views.

Luckily at this time you shouldn't lose any money selling it on if that's what you chose to do!

Be horrible to be in that situation with a brand new car :(

Edited by WillisRR

My first post on here and it's xkr related.

Just sold a 2010 xkr 5.0l and bought a 370 and find myself chasing more power instantly, the Jag was awesome and the noise from the milteks, well you don't need to remove any sound deadening to hear it. Loving the Z but at 180bhp down on the xkr I'm tempted to get a supercharger kit for it.

Anyway my name's Phil and I'm a jagaholic.

• Like 2

Reliability, and the Mrs was scared to death of it, was a toss up between the Z and xkr and when I drove an xkr I just had to buy one. Stupid fast. I went to Silverstone in 2010 and did that Nissan freerace in a 370z and loved the car then but couldn't afford one at the time. The Z has lots of potential and I'm slowly forgetting how quick the Jag was and realising how much better the Nissan is on the in car entertainment front. See now I remember how the noise of those milteks drowned out the stereo anyway lol.had the Z 2 weeks now and it's already in having a bit of a tweak as we speak.

Reliability, and the Mrs was scared to death of it, was a toss up between the Z and xkr and when I drove an xkr I just had to buy one. Stupid fast. I went to Silverstone in 2010 and did that Nissan freerace in a 370z and loved the car then but couldn't afford one at the time. The Z has lots of potential and I'm slowly forgetting how quick the Jag was and realising how much better the Nissan is on the in car entertainment front. See now I remember how the noise of those milteks drowned out the stereo anyway lol.had the Z 2 weeks now and it's already in having a bit of a tweak as we speak.

Reliability that bad? Though it was supposed to be much better, but was one of my concerns scaring me off getting one.

I recognise the name "PH11TED"

What other forums do you frequent?

Juke OC