Willis' 350z TRACK//DAILY//GT//NUR

WillisRR

Great short ring video mate, im going myself in June for the second time, but last year I went for the weekend and was overwhelmed with excitement as it was my 1st time and in awe of all the motors flying round I didn't get a decent fast lap, this time I'm going for 9 days, so will get a lot more laps in for one and I can still enjoy the tourists days aswell.

I took your advice on the ad08r s aswell, iv had them on for over a month now, and I'm glad I got them, really really good tyres, havnt had a hoon in the wet as yet so can't comment there, but in the dry on my old tyres the back would kick out pretty easily and with the ad08r s they just grip no problem.

Can I ask what kind of lap time you were getting at the ring???

Not so i can try and beat it because there's no chance I'll be going 100% when I'm there, but I'm interested in what the zed is capable of with a decent driver and setup.

• Like 1

Ahh amazing Rob, glad you are enjoying the AD08Rs. They really do look after you in the wet but I don’t know any other track quite as horrid in the wet as the Nordschleife. Some sections lack ANY grip and I swear must be made out of ice! Few corners you enter at what you think is 7/10s and then boom half way through the corner the damn thing starts understeering after you hit a small bump/compression! Lot’s of mad downhill braking zones and off camber corners to contend with too isn’t there… basically it’s friken hard work work in the wet haha!

Great that you are going for so much longer this time. I did the same last year, a long weekend just wasn’t enough to really relax and take it all in. This year we were able to chill out, get lot’s of laps in and still explore the eifel mountains, museums, karting, lot’s of factory testing to watch, tuition and loads more passenger laps which was really great to take in the scenery.

One road we found this time is if you head about a mile past brunchen and take the left down to Adenau on the L10… one of the best roads! Not the usual road to Adenau just past the Nordschleife entrance which is also great.

I will post a few full lap vids up soon along with the GP track sessions. They normally open the GP track up once a week and you use 1 lap off your card for a 15 minute session. Was a fantastic track to push on but be warned for the straight line Audi R8 heros haha!

As for lap times I really do think anything under a 9 minute takes some doing. Thanks bud but i certainly don't consider myself a decent driver, just faking it convincingly haha, have sooo much to learn. The 350 was set up very safe and could have done with more front end grip (more camber) if I wanted to be ultimately fast, I just wanted to be ultimately SAFE! I was able to be clinical, turn in with the tyres slightly screeching and then power through knowing realistically what else could i do to be faster without being unsafe or over driving. Little bit of trail braking on some corners but not applicable to all. I didn’t get any clear laps in but I think the car was capable of a 8:2X without traffic, I was able to get a few 8:3Xs with traffic and passenger and was mega chuffed with that in all honesty.

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 2

Not so i can try and beat it because there's no chance I'll be going 100% when I'm there, but I'm interested in what the zed is capable of with a decent driver and setup.

Honestly that should be the LAST thing on your mind out there especially as I'm guessing you've not been ?

It's not like a 'normal' track and will punish even highly experienced drivers (not even just because of the track itself, other driver errors, dropped fluid, debris etc).

Take it easy, let people past and enjoy yourself - get home as you arrived ! :thumbs:

I don't want to see anyone on one those 'ring vids driving like a spaz into the armco :lol:

Ahh amazing Rob, glad you are enjoying the AD08Rs. They really do look after you in the wet but I don’t know any other track quite as horrid in the wet as the Nordschleife. Some sections lack ANY grip and I swear must be made out of ice! Few corners you enter at what you think is 7/10s and then boom half way through the corner the damn thing starts understeering after you hit a small bump/compression! Lot’s of mad downhill braking zones and off camber corners to contend with too isn’t there… basically it’s friken hard work work in the wet haha!

I know, I've learnt that lesson last year! In those few corners you just need to stay away from the normal line as the rubber on the road gets really slippery in the wet!

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

Spot on summary of the place! I've driven round there when its been dry in some sectors and raining in others, luckily the marshals wave the slippery surface flags when you're approaching the wet track so you can back right off.

Regarding lap times my clearest full lap and only 2nd of the day sadly was a 9min40sec which I think you can knock 30secs off for BTG time and I certainly got a lot quicker through the day but then also lifting to let the quick boys through as it naturally got a little busier stops you getting a time. As one guy on YouTube has shown the Zed has a 8min12sec BTG in it and that boy is committed, so well under 9min full lap makes the old Datsun pretty respectable I'd say

Would love to go out there and spend few days at it and it not be so rushed and feeling like I need to go out again and again so I get the track time in and my moneys worth...........very jealous guys!!

• Like 1

Proper trackdays make time chasing a lot easier as you can put 2-3 laps together, Ive no doubt a Zed could see well under 8.20 with the right man behind the pedals either :)

Check out my mate Dave there last weekend ........ he had a bit of a close one :scare: :scare: :scare: :scare:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/video-luckiest-biker-ever-survives-160kmh-push-and-two-barrier-impacts/

• Like 1

Jesus Dave! Such a lucky man!!! Too close that!

Aye, totally agree that going out for a double or triple lapper will help reduce time but my brakes couldn't take that this trip haha! Had massive brake judder and the pedal was really long and not very confidence inspiring at all! Will be getting some better pads for the next trip!

Would love to upgrade the ARBs so i can run the dampers a little softer yet still have the appropriate levels of body roll control along with a few other things... clutch, lightweight flywheel, uprev tune, 3.9/4.1 final drive and a mechanical diff oh and brake ducts too! Along with front camber arms to increase turn in as that was the main limiting factor although kept me uber safe! I will keep on going and keep on chipping away at that lap time! I am certainly the weak link, not the car which is why i was keen and glad of some tuition while i was over there although imust admit it just made me even safer not necessarily any faster. I must be honest i go for a good time, not a lap time really! I never and will never actively time a lap, I only watch footage back after.

Seen the 8:12 on youtube, would love to know what level of mods he has on that car as it seems quick but not edgy! Bahhhh i love that place so much!!

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

Nurb has become a very "nasty" place during weekends. Your write up sums it up perfectly! That's why I'm thinking about going there on a Monday this time (full day). There is one more left on 5th June! I will be attacking <8:30 this year.

Check out my video from last year, @min. 8:26. If I hadn't checked my left mirror, I would have probably moved to the left and that Nurburgring hero in his Z3 would've crashed into me!

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 3

Totally with you on that! I will only go Mon-Friday now for laps. I have no interest in laps at the weekend EVER AGAIN. Looking at the same Hotchkis ARBs you have by the way :).

That lap looked fair busy and a dry line makes it like balancing on a tightrope!

Edited by WillisRR

Just read all this thread and really enjoyed it, great car and loads of track fun!

I've only ever done one experience day in an R35, I'm just a regular every day road driver so not good enough to be on tracks like these, it looks quite stressful making sure you're not in people's way and stuff. Stacks of fun though!! Would love to do it for the experience but I'd just be the slow one annoying everyone!! :)

• Like 1

but I'd just be the slow one annoying everyone!! :)

The ONLY annoying people on track days are the ones that don't move out of the way, either because they aren't using their mirrors or they have some weird ego thing going on (slow you in the corners, then speed up on the straights) :thumbs:

The limited few I've done, I let everyone past and just concentrate on my lines first, slowly building up some speed and learning how the car responds :)

Edited by RobPhoboS

I've only ever done one experience day in an R35, I'm just a regular every day road driver so not good enough to be on tracks like these, it looks quite stressful making sure you're not in people's way and stuff.

These are Touristfahrten laps at Nurburgring - no briefing, not really any rules and anyone can jump on and pretend they are Senna (or Niki Lauda in some cases :lol: ), as Willis is saying they are pretty daunting even for trackday/Nur regulars.

Most trackdays have strict rules on when and where you can pass, expected driving standards and extensive briefings with the threat of being ejected if you break the rules, most sane people tend to want to go home in what they drive there in too so its vbery unusual to see anything other than top drawer behaviour,

Its worth doing another one, particularly with a weapon like a GTR and its not a race, while I know that Im a quick driver I wouldnt see which way a racer in a Ford Fiesta went, the only person you can compete with is yourself so do what your comfortable with and it will be enjoyment all round :)

• 1 month later...

Will get the series of Vids up asap! Delayed a bit with life getting in the way, not a bad thing mind!

Been toying with the idea of selling up recently. Baby due in August and running costs of three 'track cars' and not one car suitable for transporting a baby I thought it wise to get smart and buy a luggy cheap 4 door to replace the Nissan. I just can't seem to part with the damn 350z though! Every time I have a spirited drive or clean the damn thing and see it gleaming I just damn adore it!!! The Mrs now has a Seat Altea eco bus so that does the family stuff but I cant help but feel like a bit of an idiot haha!

On that note, a new toy arrived last week. Supercharged MX5 MK2.5 :lol: . Was on ebay for a bargain so had to get it! So this now replaces my old mk2 Avacado MX5...

Eaton superchargeer, Stand alone ECU, intercooler, lip, 3 sets of wheels (slicks, semis and wets), motordrive seats, half cage, harnesses blah blah blah....

34529862253_6554089824_z.jpg

34529863383_773b763843_z.jpg

MK is now ready for summer track days. Got some Formula Renault slicks to run on it this season :).

34480796464_cbffb1ec69_z.jpg

35284447716_2d580a9aa1_z.jpg

Quick vid i posted the other day from the GP sessions and hounding a 911 gt3 :lol: ...

Edited by WillisRR

Impressed that you started with "Been toying with the idea of selling up" and ended with "a new toy arrived"............good job!

Little mazda looks like it should be great fun and the MK will be even more of a weapon on slicks! Never driven on slicks but know people who have/do and say the difference is massive over normal road legal track rubber.

Drove past the Cat & Fiddle on my way to Manchester airport the other day and was shocked to see all the average speed cameras! Really hope that doesn't become the norm, never seen them on anything other than duel carriageways before that.

• Like 1

Haha I am a complete idiot but meh makes things a little more hectic and interesting! The new Mx5 came up for such a great price and we had been collecting the parts to supercharge our black mx5 that instead I was just better off selling the black one and progressing with the new silver one that was already done! So some method behind the madness!

Have driven slick on the MX5s and wow, the real difference I felt was under braking and turn in. That and you can get them for £60 a full set make them uber cost effective! I do wonder how they will feel on such a light and edgy car such as the MK mind!

Bloody love the Cat & Fiddle. I am only 15/20mins drive from there so it's my go to road in the summer evenings. The cameras have calmed me down which isn't a bad thing really! Plus the laybys are in positions where you can easily split the run into two and do as you please :). Gone are the days of absolute hooning the Integra DC2 up there back nigh on ten years ago now!

• Like 1

Drove past the Cat & Fiddle on my way to Manchester airport the other day and was shocked to see all the average speed cameras! Really hope that doesn't become the norm, never seen them on anything other than duel carriageways before that.

You can thank the bikers for that using it as a time trial.

It's still my go-to road however, even now i live in Nottingham instead of Derby i still go out of my way occasionally to make the trip. Shame the pub on top is closed at the minute but any journey that involves Manchester etc I will detour over Cat&Fiddle instead ;)

• Like 1

Eh Willis we are all the same kind of idiots here mate!! You've got to get these things when they come up sometimes!

Funny enough I was looking out for stop spots so you could average out your speed to please the local constabulary! Its the first time I've actually been on the infamous cat&fiddle but I have driven all round the peak district "snake pass" being a highlight to drive and you can see that it could be a seriously fast section of road, no junctions and really well sighted..........so I can see why they took that final step to control it.

Sargara.........I cant say anything about that crowd really, I used to very much be one of them!!

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys,

Thought it only right to finally post up what went on over the last few months. I sold my 350z.................... and friken regret it.

As I watched it drive off I really did feel ill.

Just had to get a sensible daily with 4 seats for our little daughter but as time has gone on I am now realising it was never really required, we just use the Mrs car as the 'family wagon' sigh.

I put so much effort into the 350z and i friken adored it. THE SINGLE BEST ALL ROUNDER I HAVE EVER HAD.

Ended up buying a 3 series e92 daily and building a little turbo mx5 (yes i needed two cars to replace what I had lost in the 350z)...

The turbo mx5 is mega fun BUT i can't lie.... I want another 350z.

I am going to enjoy the turbo mx5 over winter then look at selling both the MK (kit car) and Turbo MX5 with a view to build an all out 350z track car and keep the bmw as sensible daily.

Live and learn hey! The only redeeming thing is I got very strong money for my 350z so no real loss other than my time.

36622537774_1864f78733_z.jpg

38091381171_edda605357_z.jpg

Cheers guys,

Yeah would be such a tough call to make and hopefully I can get away with building another 350z and keep the MK too but although the Kit car is amazing to drive, on the flip side, it is so difficult to live with.

It spends most of the year laid up in the garage and I can't help think my money would be better invested in a more usable toy. The main plus point to it is for the performance it really is unbelievably cheap to run!

Thanks for the kind words regarding vids, I have really let them slip over last few moths with the kiddo arriving. Have loads of Nurburgring vids to upload along with a whole series on turboing an mx5 and drift matsuri in a v8 Nissan Laurel haha.

Your 370z is mega btw. That spec list is absolutely dreamy.

Regardless of what I do, I know I ned another Z!

Family always comes first!!     Sounds like you've got loads of car stuff going on, bet the little turbo MX5 will be great fun.......and when you've finished your fling with zi Germans you can get yourself a well sorted Zed again............maybe go HR 2nd time round?? You wont regret it.......until it needs taxing of course!!