Willis' 350z TRACK//DAILY//GT//NUR

WillisRR

Brilliant, totally agree, i wont do them all in one go. Have been tempted to start with ARBs so i can run a softer damper setup but a set of coilovers straight away would be more cost effective and be more adjustable/beneficial for flicking between road and track settings.

I guess i can also play with the damping front to rear to get the balance of the car feeling a little less front bias. I was going to use camber arms to do this but this would also have a negative effect on tyre wear.

You will be glad to know i fitted braided lines when rebuilding callipers :D . VDC fuse is the only 50AMP fuse in the small rectangular fuse box next to batt.

Hehe Spa in October eh! Will have to get saving!

QUESTION:

If you had to chose between MeisterR CRDs and Tein Mono Sports which would you go for and why?

Edited by WillisRR

Between those two probably the Meisters, solely as Ive just put a set of GT1 on my 135i (theyre great) and have always rated their customer service.

I ran HSD Dualtech on y 350 and really, really rated them for the money but anything reasonable will transform the car's handling, they are a bit rolly and soft as standard IMO.

If you cant do Spa in October come to the Ring in April instead ;)

Thanks guys, yeah used jerrick lots over the years. Had meisterR big brake kit on zeta Rs on an Integra, Zeta S on a Civic along with kits on an Evo 5 and currently run them on my MX5 too. Totally agree that the customer service is worth it alone. I will have a think as the KW V2s look like a good buy for the same money as the GT1s, i will get doing some proper research! For my level/ability i cant lie, any of the suggestions would be good enough!

Docwra, i'm going to Nur in April for 10 days!! Will see you there haha!

• Like 1

Hey guys away at the moment hence late response ðŸ‘.

Ahh Rob what an offer, thank you so much, mega apreciate that! I found a supplier for the Tein Monosport while i had hours to kill (spent bored by a pool under an umbrella while the wife tans haha) at a good price so went for them in the end. The GT1 MeisterRs do look brilliant, with that in mind how great would it be to compare them sometime!

33106323655_13a6100d43.jpg

Always wanted a good set of Teins, had superstreets 10 years ago on a Civic but they were old and tired! The Monosport look great for my application with pretty hectic spring rates 10/12 but improved damping look to be much less crashy than the Monoflex were.

33106323675_e96bdd14d6_z.jpg

Forgive me for being so influenced by a 'gimmik' but the addition of EDFC allowing me to electronically adjust dampers from the drivers seat really did sell me the Teins over other options. As this is my daily and a car i use on GTs and days out in the lakes, north wales etc the idea of simply adjusting from comfort to 'race car' in a second is mega.

Ohh Docwra, that would be brilliant, If i could push to KW v3 or Ohlins i certainly would! Ahh i am there end of April so we may miss each other, always up for trying to book on a track day though :).

Anglesey on March 12 so will whack the Teins on and try and dial them in a bit, see if we can get a more nutural feel to the chassis, whoop!

Edited by WillisRR

EDFC is awesome trickery, but I dont know anyone thats actually used it much once its installed :lol:

10/12 is the higher end for a 350, but its down to the damping - I once looked up srping rates for various coilovers in a moment of boredom:

BC's are 10/8

HSD Monopros are 14/7

HSD Dualtechs are 12/11

Meister R (dual) 10/8

Meister R (single) 10/5

Tein Street 9/9

Ohlins NIS 10/7

Cusco 10/7

HKS Hipermax III 9/9

Apexi N1 10/8

Tanabe Sustec 10/8

Megan Track 12/10

• Like 1

Wow some surpising info there!!

Pretty shocked (terrid pun) that the tein superstreets are that heavy and dont really know what to make of the two HSD rates, seem a little odd that but hell they must do the R&D!

Hehe yeah i can imagine! Let's hope i get some good use out of this EDFC then, i will make a tally every time i use it over a month and let you know if it was worth it haha!

Realy?! Why? Spa is fast but boring. The Ring is the ultimate challenge and super fun. Although if you go on a busy they, the crowd can ruin the experience.

To the OP, you will soon start looking at wider and lighter wheels and coilovers + arb. Start with arb eg. Hotchkis. Those semislicks need stiffer suspension! No more than 7k spring at the back with true coilover or you will strugle with lots of corner entry oversteer.

Edited by GodISmE

Well yeah, it's not much fun when it's wet, especially if one does not know what line to take and does not have wet tires on! Last year I took my Zed to the Ring and it was raining during the first half of the day. I had semislicks on and I went for a drive just to see what it was like. A little poo came out in a couple of corners when I started to slide - not intentionally of course ! lol

Edited by GodISmE
  • Like 1

Oooo Interesting!

Look a few posts up bud and you can see i have gone for coilovers before ARBs :). Totally understand why people would rather ARBs first but for the money i felt i should go for the Coilovers. Mainly because i have more adjustment to play with than anything else since this is an all rounder. Unfortunatley the rears are 10s so a little heavier than you suggest but from what you have said i am going to be very happy with that if i can tame it down to the level i like! Anything to get the rear to pitch in and do anything but plough straight on in a dismal rush of understeer! Damping can also be adjusted to fine tune this and geometry too ofcourse. Maybe i will eat my words, but there is only one way for me to find out and that's to do it! Looking at the rates Ohlins, HSD and Cusco use on rear i may be in for a shock!

I am with you on wider, lighter wheels! One thing that has stood out for me about the 350 is the rolling mass you can really feel pulling you about. It took a little getting used to. I really wish i could keep spending but this was only meant to be a daily, i have a fireblade MK Indy RR and Mx5 track cars so really trying to keep things sensible with this... Although i am already failing!! I am itching for a mechanical diff and 4.1 final drive but i must stop!! But i know i wont 😭... Maybe lighter flywheel after that when the clutch inevitably goes!

As for Nurburgring. My first ever lap was in an absolute storm just after a dry VLN race so the track was super rubbered in and slippy! Insane conditions but i bloody love it! It was mainly the off camber corners that got my heart going, knowing if you go in too fast you are only going to speed up haha! Could be a little trickier in a car with so much more power but used to a 7 style car with 400hp per tonne so let's hope i keep it in one peice! Will let you know my thoughts on the coilovers after Anglesey on the 12th.

As for Spa, I wish I could have an opinion but I cant comment until I've been 😭

Edited by WillisRR
  • Like 1

10k in a stock position (spring bucket) will be fine. If it was a true coilover then you would have a big issue when driving on a limit. Driving at 80-90% with such a setup could be fine but who would want to do that? ;)

I highly recommend Enkei RFP-1. Night and day difference compared to Rays.

You are saying all the right things! I bloody love Enkeis! I just can't justify it. I understand that it would make some difference but not justifiable amounts for the cost. I dont need it to be the ultimate. Just affordable fun! I could soon be in way too deep with this car so the Rays will have to do haha!

Thanks for the offer Jetpilot, i really wish i could! Thanks for the kind words about the Indy too!

Hehe Godisme, if you have seen any of the MK vids you will see i like to drive at little sketchy and work back to a cleaner lap😂😂😂. Circuit dependant ofcourse, Cadwell is a little harder to have that aproach than Blyton lol.

• Like 1