Buying a home - Overpriced

TomBorehamUK

Don't know if I missed it but it all depends on how much the value and area it's in . If it's a 600k place and they want 40k more than surrounding places for a few reasons then I'd say that's worth it . If it's like 200k and they want 40k more than others for no reason then hold off !

Bought our place for 260k 4 years ago ... put around about 30k into it , just had it valued at 455k . Which is all well and good if I wanted to go into rented or go to a cheaper area , but for the next step up for us and what we'd want it's like 6-700k !! Everything goes up and down ..... just got to take a gamble sometimes . On our last place i just broke even after 3 years ..... well I made a healthy £500! Hahaha

We've just today had to agree to a £2.5k reduction on the selling price for Jane's flat to get her buyer to commit to exchange on Friday. This is on the basis of work apparently flagged in a survey they had done three weeks ago. Funny how they left it to the last minute to mention it.

I know some people people would say tell them to get lost, but we've waited a long time to get to this stage. We've made clear that we'll walk if there are any further delays or demands.

The whole process has put years on me. I can't wait to be done with it.

Edited by sipar69

We are going back to look at a few points raised by the survey, and may end up having to get a builder in for quotes.

Would quite agree part of me just want to ignore the survey points and exchange, but we are not talking about slightly worn tyres on a car purchases, so rather take our time to get the right decision/cost.

On our last place i just broke even after 3 years ..... well I made a healthy £500! Hahaha

Quite. I worked out over the ten years I owned my last place, including it nearly doubling in value I would have actually been better off renting, putting my deposit in the bank and saving the difference between the mortgage and rent over those 10 years.

It makes me wonder what sort of salary do these people have to have to afford to get a mortgage on a £500k or £600k house these days. I feel I earn half decent money atm, but theres no way I could get a mortgage for anywhere near that!

Don't know if I missed it but it all depends on how much the value and area it's in . If it's a 600k place and they want 40k more than surrounding places for a few reasons then I'd say that's worth it . If it's like 200k and they want 40k more than others for no reason then hold off !

Bought our place for 260k 4 years ago ... put around about 30k into it , just had it valued at 455k . Which is all well and good if I wanted to go into rented or go to a cheaper area , but for the next step up for us and what we'd want it's like 6-700k !! Everything goes up and down ..... just got to take a gamble sometimes . On our last place i just broke even after 3 years ..... well I made a healthy £500! Hahaha

It is up for 40% more than two years ago, they purchased for £125,000, it's now up for £175,000 - £50,000 increase!

Looking at the previous ads, it has been improved but by no where near warranting that increase (IMO of course)

Edited by TomBorehamUK

We've just today had to agree to a £2.5k reduction on the selling price for Jane's flat to get her buyer to commit to exchange on Friday. This is on the basis of work apparently flagged in a survey they had done three weeks ago. Funny how they left it to the last minute to mention it.

I know some people people would say tell them to get lost, but we've waited a long time to get to this stage. We've made clear that we'll walk if there are any further delays or demands.

When we sold our last house and relocated to Derbyshire,the buyer said 6 days before exchange date that there circumstances have changed and they could not raise the full amount now,and they could only proceed if we could drop the house a further £8000..

We had given up jobs and closed a business, there was no way we could back out of the deal..

To say i was furious was an understatement...

We agreed,they were very smug about getting one over on us...

i did get sweet revenge.....lol..

Edited by Alpinaman
  • Like 1

When we sold our last house and relocated to Derbyshire,the buyer said 6 days before exchange date that there circumstances have changed and they could not raise the full amount now,and they could only proceed if we could drop the house a further £8000..

We had given up jobs and closed a business, there was no way we could back out of the deal..

To say i was furious was an understatement...

We agreed,they were very smug about getting one over on us...

i did get sweet revenge.....lol..

You have my sympathy!

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

Well we've found another that ticks all the boxes, and the valuation this time seems to be spot on!

Will be arranging another viewing then likely to be putting in an offer, it's at top of our chosen price range and the kitchen needs changing aswell as the boiler updating so hopefully we'll be able to negotiate down a little.

At my ripe age of 22 I've little experience of house buying negotiations, however through reading the consensus is that a starting point of within 10% lower is fair game (generally)

Feel free to chime in if you've got any pointers or experience to share in regards to the negotiation phase! :D

Edited by TomBorehamUK

Pay what you think the house is worth. If it's worth the asking price then pay it, I've had a friend recently who put an offer in on a house and lost it for the sake of trying to save a grand. He really really wanted it, too.

I paid asking price for mine because I knew it was significantly undervalued, and it was too perfect to risk missing out on. I also achieved asking price for my last property, which was also my buyer's first purchase and they went straight to that value as well because they wanted it and knew it was worth it. I've never understood people who try to get money off everything simply because that's the done thing.

• 2 weeks later...