Non Runner :(

Snowseph

Hi all,

Sadly, my timing chain snapped last night and my Z is now a non runner, so I'm potentially going to have to sell it on. I was wondering what sort of price I could expect to get for it? It's relatively still stock, but see the full spec below:

'54 Plate Azure Blue GT

Engine (though now a non runner)

- 118K Miles

- UpRev Map

- JWT Pop Charger Intake

Exhaust

- Blitz NUR Spec Touring Mid-Pipe & Backbox

Exterior

- Carbon Z Badge covers

- 18" Anthracite RAYS Alloys

- Zunsport Black Grille

- 06+ Facelift Rear LED Tail Lights

- Nismo Radiator Cap

- Whiteline Rear Droplinks

- Stubby Aerial

Interior

- Heated Leather Seats

- Bose Sound System

- Titanium Nismo Gear Knob

Everything else is in really great condition, see the most recent pictures of the car below (just before the Zunsport grille was fitted):

13603509_10157081699165257_8559824265592058415_o_zpsxckkq87i.jpg

13576621_10157081699460257_363719977632134637_o_zpstmu0ghhz.jpg

13582074_10157081699870257_2867155277515172771_o_zpsssfhhvew.jpg

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by Snowseph

horrible to hear this has happened.

If you have the time to break the car down you may not do too badly out of it. There are desirable parts even if the engine out of the equation

May I ask if there were any indicators before failure...if some good can come of this, then a warning for fellow owners may be it.

I hope this means you are on the market for another though!

• Like 1

horrible to hear this has happened.

If you have the time to break the car down you may not do too badly out of it. There are desirable parts even if the engine out of the equation

May I ask if there were any indicators before failure...if some good can come of this, then a warning for fellow owners may be it.

I hope this means you are on the market for another though!

Literally nothing. :(

Owned the car for 3 years and it hasn't given me a single issue during that time, just serviced and MOT'd it each year.

Gutted. Have you not considered getting a replacement engine. Seems a shame to break a zed when the body work ect is in good nick.

Wish I could but I just have 0 spare cash to source one or pay for the labour. :(

That's a shame bud, feel for ya.

Sorry to see this has happened Joe.

Tbh I think as a non runner you're going to find it a tough sell especially with some high mileage runners selling as cheap as £2K - £3K.

Firstly I'd strip off anything that is easily removable and/or replaceable with an OEM part that you may still have. Then sell those items on here.

Secondly you might want to contact Jon@Emperor Tuning or zmanalex on here to see if either of them is interested in buying the complete shell off you.

Good luck. :thumbs:

How bad is the actual damage? are the valves bent into the pistons? have you had a look down the spark plugs with a camera?

never know could get lucky and put new timing gear on the front and reset the timing and away you go?

Or the valves snapped as they hit the top of the piston scoring the bores completely f@~* the engine.

Just if you like the car maybe see if its worth saving? :surrender:

This absolutely sucks, really sorry to see this man :cry:

You've made me incredibly paranoid now !

I would have thought some kind of sign to show, like the chain rattling etc

I know if it were me, I'd pull the engine get another in there.

What exactly does it kill when the chain snaps like this ?

Sorry to see this has happened Joe.

Tbh I think as a non runner you're going to find it a tough sell especially with some high mileage runners selling as cheap as £2K - £3K.

Firstly I'd strip off anything that is easily removable and/or replaceable with an OEM part that you may still have. Then sell those items on here.

Secondly you might want to contact Jon@Emperor Tuning or zmanalex on here to see if either of them is interested in buying the complete shell off you.

Good luck. :thumbs:

Thanks mate, 2-3K sounds good to me TBH, I was hoping the figure would be around that mark, at least it'll help towards buying another car. I'm going to aim to pick up another Z if the worst comes to worst, but we'll see what happens!

How bad is the actual damage? are the valves bent into the pistons? have you had a look down the spark plugs with a camera?

never know could get lucky and put new timing gear on the front and reset the timing and away you go?

Or the valves snapped as they hit the top of the piston scoring the bores completely f@~* the engine.

Just if you like the car maybe see if its worth saving? :surrender:

No idea right now, should find out tomorrow/on Saturday. Gonna have a very reliable mechanic friend look it over as I don't have the know-how to do it myself haha.

1 like, 1 prayer.

#PrayForJoe'sZ

:lol:

• Like 6

Well @*!#. This has made me very nervous with mine now! Have a slight rattle on cold start ups if its been sat for a while. Gutted for you dude

Dont be overly worried, all chain motors rattle if theyve stood and are cold, try owning a SR20 motor they really rattle on start up, chains failing are quite rare much more reliable than belts.

You can look at the main tensioner via the inspection cover.

See how far out it's pushing into the chain.

Just ensure you have some decent rtv (black/grey) and careful cleaning before putting the cover back on.

This is why I find it odd that no warning signs emerged before this happened.

:/

• Like 1

have you not thought about replacing the engine ? engine and labour should be around the 2k mark.....

They posted earlier that they have 0 cash at the moment.

If the car is OK without the engine I'd probably think about saving and getting a replacement engine - although I'm not sure how expensive or long such a search would take (the time delay could be used to save up but maybe with no car to drive).

Well unfortunately the timing chain has definitely gone and I simply don't have the time/money to fix her/replace the engine.

I'm going to sell the car on as a non runner so if anyone is interested in her, do let me know (I've replied to the PMs I've already received).

Sad times. :(

Thanks,

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Good news. :)

My car sold via eBay and I put a deposit down on a Kuro Black DE with only 36,000 miles on the clock the other day.

Exciting! (pics to follow most likely in a new thread)

Edited by Snowseph
  • Like 4

Man, I was tempted to go for a DC5 but there weren't any decent ones about and I've been driving my Gran's Astra around as a workaround. :lol:

I can't tell you how much I missed my Z and how nice it was to hop in to another one, first car I saw, instantly sold.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Wow very sorry to hear this happened, rather alarming too that it did so without any warning signs, was the chain ever replaced previously in the car's history?

Anyway, happy to hear you managed to sell and are now looking forward to your next Zed :)