BHP Comparison Between Low & High Mileage Cars

Colin747

Just as a curiosity, I know engines can lose power through the years so I'm wondering is there any rough rule of thumb of how much power a VQ loses over it's lifetime? Be interesting to see if anyone has a few dyno read outs of their car over time.

Edited by Colin747

Various posts across the internet quote 1bhp per year - but hey the internet isn't always right ;)

If its has been poorly serviced, ragged, stuck in a bubble in a lock up, wrong fuel, bad oil etc etc will all have an effect on the engine performance over time - the question is unfortunately I think one that drops into this category unless someone has some great insights...

50347957.jpg

Various posts across the internet quote 1bhp per year - but hey the internet isn't always right ;)

If its has been poorly serviced, ragged, stuck in a bubble in a lock up, wrong fuel, bad oil etc etc will all have an effect on the engine performance over time - the question is unfortunately I think one that drops into this category unless someone has some great insights...

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was curious about.

Even if someone owned the car from new and dyno'd it every year for 10 years on the same exact same dyno, it still wouldn't give an accurate portrayal of BHP gain or loss. There are far to many variables that can affect dyno runs by 0.5% here and there from the obvious fuel in the tank, to the not so obvious air pressure and density, it's just not possible to do unfortunately, unless of course the dyno was in a controlled environment and was automatically run by a computer and the fuel was tested before each test. :dry:

50347957.jpg

Twice as long as it is from the middle x

• Like 1

I remember reading once about (and I think it was Honda) dyno`d a couple of their Fireblade superbikes before competing with them at the TT races and after. The bikes had more power after apparently.

I have a similar one. I remember being told by someone back in the 1980's that Porche did a test of two Porches.. both were tested and found even. Then one was ragged most of its life, the other was treated to pampering and barely left the garage. After a while they re tested them back to back. The ragged one was stronger.

Now that was a cheery anecdotal tale of two Porches, clouded by distant memory, recanted by some beer assisted bloke (me) off the internet :lol: Might be true :shrug:

If you search Top Gear when they have had to buy old cars they have dyno'd some of them and losses were mostly high.

Only in the world of top gear does horsepower magically leak from an engine over time.

I remember reading once about (and I think it was Honda) dyno`d a couple of their Fireblade superbikes before competing with them at the TT races and after. The bikes had more power after apparently.

I have a similar one. I remember being told by someone back in the 1980's that Porche did a test of two Porches.. both were tested and found even. Then one was ragged most of its life, the other was treated to pampering and barely left the garage. After a while they re tested them back to back. The ragged one was stronger.

Now that was a cheery anecdotal tale of two Porches, clouded by distant memory, recanted by some beer assisted bloke (me) off the internet :lol: Might be true :shrug:

I can believe this, I bought a zx9r that was a fast bikes magazine demo bike, it wasnt even run in, spanked from the moment it was first started, by all accounts they dyno tested a few bikes that were released that year when doing a group test later in the year, the zx made more power than the others and more than the manufacturer claimed hp where the others were all a fair bit lower.

How long it would last is a different story.

The problem with "running in" people take it too literally, i.e dont go above 4k rpm for x, so they dont, in reality you should give it a few revs here and there, you just dont want prolonged high revs.

We have seem 100K+ DE cars making the same power as low mileage cars on our dyno.

Also the oil usage doesn't seem to matter what mileage the car has done more to do with how a car is run in I feel as RichF has said above , we prefer to run the cars in our our dyno , hard and fast is the way forward.

If you search Top Gear when they have had to buy old cars they have dyno'd some of them and losses were mostly high.

If it was the budget supercar one I'd take what they said with a pinch of salt.

The cars were a bit 'tired', could have had all sorts of mechanical issues, vacuum leaks, misfires etc...

From memory Clarkson's Maserati wasn't even the model he thought it was.

Some manufactures dyno test cars straight of the line before it even leaves the door. Seems strange but reads as the norm these days.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bugatti/92681/2017-bugatti-chiron-all-the-news-and-info-on-bugattis-new-1479bhp-hypercar

With wheels bolted on and fluids filled the car hits a modified dynamometer. After a successful dyno test, the car’s complete body is fitted and it undergoes a leak test, after which work can begin on the interior.