Chaos at The Ring in the 70s.

Bandit

This is crazy, to see a) how easily cars flipped over back then and B) people with no seatbelts on getting thrown from their cars!!

While it's usually safer to wear a seatbelt, there are occasions when its better to be thrown from the car if/when it rolls or crashes at speed, I know two people (one of them my father, fell asleep at the wheel of a lotus doing about 90mph in the 70s) who were ejected from their cars and it saved their lives. If they had been pinned in the cars, well, lets just say spider in a jar of nails. Both spent 6 months in hospital with terrible injuries, but it is widely believed by all involved that they would have been worse off if they were in the car for the duration of the incidents. Particularly my father, thrown from the car during a roll, a split second later the car was wrapped round a tree like tinfoil (70s lotus), he would not have survived, and I would not exist!

Note how few (apparent) injuries were suffered by those who fell off their wagons...its weird.