Fitted: Tein Street Basis Z

Rook

Fitted mine today, which I got from Tarmac Sportz. It's very difficult to find info on these, so basically as soon as they were on I went out onto the most disgusting bumpy local roads I could find, and also tried the car out at speed, and wanted to give a quick bit of feedback.

Firstly, despite using stock top mounts, fitment was simple enough. I didn't do it myself as I've just moved and don't currently have any tools, but took it to a mate, and it all went in very easily. My car's coming from stock and that had all been on for about 120k miles and 10 years. Took about two and a half hours.

Adjustment's easy enough, but because the rear adjustment is on the separate spring (not a coilover, as such) it's a bit of a dick to adjust. You'll just need to use the socket point on the coilover tool and a torque stick and/or breaker bar to rotate.

They look bloody great when you can see them too.

Anyway, the main thing. The ride. I'm lowered, I'd guess, between 25 and 30mm. Much lower than I'd originally expected to go but I got carried away. My wheel fitment suddenly looks fantastic.

For all the stick Tein get, the ride I actually really like. You definitely notice imperfections in the road an awful lot more; and the first few you go over, you almost wince expecting to have just crashed into it.

But nope. Instead you just feel like your butt is reading the road like Braille, and the steering has an alertness and connectedness I absolutely love.

I'll check back in once I've adjusted the ride height a few more times and been on our annual trip to Wales, but for now I'm happy to report the ride is certainly 'sportier' but definitely comfortable, the quality of the product itself is extremely good, and the adjustability plenty for my non-track use.

Very happy for the amount of money I've spent. Very happy indeed. I don't think anybody just cruising the streets needs any more than this.

Edited by Rook
  • Like 2

Ask and you shall receive!

It's pretty obvious which is before, but if you can't figure it out the one with the 'Tein' sticker is after...

On reflection looks like I'm closer to about a 20mm drop. There's still travel left, I think I could reasonably get another 10-15mm lower. We just set it so there was reasonable clearance and the rear arch looked full, which I think we achieved.

Might not be able to resist the temptation to slam it though... haha.

post-25197-0-73769600-1486022367_thumb.jpg

post-25197-0-78270600-1486022384_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't measure the start point, I just set it to a height that seemed low but sensible, and would estimate I'm about 20-25mm down, and there's about 5-7mm left it can go.

If you tell me the floor to apex of the arch distance for front and rear of your car, I'll measure mine and measure the thread properly and give you a proper answer!

• 2 months later...

How are you finding these after a few months ? They are currently on Demon Tweeks for £333+vat

Worth getting or not ?

Good spot.

When you add on shipping its showing: £407.10. About a £40 saving over eBay prices.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update then.

Honestly, these feel like the new normal. The ride height has settled a bit so it sits a tiny bit lower, and I feel as though the damping is just a tiny weenie bit more forgiving than brand new.

I love the handling, I still really love - and notice - how direct the front of the car feels, and the lowered (but not too low) look is awesome. I use my car every single day and go 60-80 miles a day, my butt doesn't hurt, my passengers don't complain, my car sits low, looks great, and handles like it's on rails.

I really don't know how I could be any happier given what I paid. Just think of it as the next step up from lowering springs just with better ride quality and adjustable height, with the added benefit of being a little stiffer than stock, so you get a more direct feel.

Edited by Rook
  • Like 1

Should add: I'm mostly on a roads and motorways and not tracks. There are some properly crap quality roads around here and it will chuck you about a bit on those.

I don't find myself avoiding every drain cover for fear of my spine though.

• Like 1

Might be looking into these soon , have you kept the stock spring bucket in place or swapped it out for adjustable toe arms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock bucket, the chap who put them on was happy with the geo after fitting so I haven't changed toe or camber arms. Quite like the little bit of negative camber I have going on actually.

Stock bucket, the chap who put them on was happy with the geo after fitting so I haven't changed toe or camber arms. Quite like the little bit of negative camber I have going on actually.

Sweet that's good to know ðŸ‘🻠saves another extra cost !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

i like to bump a really old thread.  How are / were these over time?  Im thinking of getting these rather than new shocks and the tein lowering springs all round, these are a bit cheaper.

im in a similar boat dont track and dont want to sacrifice too much comfort which is important to me.  want to go 15-20 mm lower set and forget it.