Overheating Or Stuck Fan

bytespc

It never rains eh, just got back from a slow traffic filled journey and whilst on a slight incline the temp gauge started heading north and the aircon stopped , didn't go into the red , roughly three quarters of the gauge, never happened before in nearly three years of ownership, traffic started moving and straight away the gauge was back to normal and the aircon was cool again, get home bonnet up all fans are working and idled for 10 mins gauge didn't move, could it be low coolant ?.

Couldn't check as car was hot, so when cold where should you top up and where is the level ?, expansion tank I assume.

Thanks in advance

The fans are notorious for breaking. Yes check the coolant when cold, but my bet would be the fans. The commutator gets dirty so when they fail it can be intermittent.

You can in order of cost

1) take them out and refurbish them yourself, you probably just have to clean the commutator.

2) buy a second hand set form someone on here

3) Go after market with a mishimoto shroud - they are loud fans though

4) But a new set of OEM ones.

If you want to go for option 2 I have my old set in the loft and I'm only down the road, I went for the mishimoto shroud when mine went.I didn't bother refurbishing them, but it would give you something to work on whilst still having your intermittent set in the car.

The fans are notorious for breaking. Yes check the coolant when cold, but my bet would be the fans. The commutator gets dirty so when they fail it can be intermittent.

You can in order of cost

1) take them out and refurbish them yourself, you probably just have to clean the commutator.

2) buy a second hand set form someone on here

3) Go after market with a mishimoto shroud - they are loud fans though

4) But a new set of OEM ones.

If you want to go for option 2 I have my old set in the loft and I'm only down the road, I went for the mishimoto shroud when mine went.I didn't bother refurbishing them, but it would give you something to work on whilst still having your intermittent set in the car.

Thanks for the offer, I've just spoken to H/Dev and they think it's the Fan or Fans and each fan motor in North of £250 quid and an hour and a half labour so another £150 on top.

Will check coolant level when cold but can't see it being that as it's never done it before and surely if the coolant was peeing out it would overheat all the time.

Bugger....

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Not sure if Gareth mentioned or not, but we can get non-genuine fan motors for a lot less. 1yr warranty.

Jez I'm not sure it's worth fannying about I think I need to book her in as she's my only means of transport next week is good for me any day but Tuesday.

Doug

For H/Dev info..checked the level of coolant and it's spot on, as far as I can see all the connections are good and immovable.

See you Wednesday and please be gentle with me.

Must be something in the air - this happened to me today too. Coolant boiled over and spilled everywhere.

I see you can get the mishomoto shroud kit for around £180 but does anyone know if it comes with a new set of motors, as they seem to be the problem?

Edit: This is the shroud kit I'm talking about...

http://m.mishimoto.co.uk/mishimoto-nissan-350z-aluminum-fan-shroud-03.html

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by kev_null

Yes, if its ~£180 they come with motors, its should just be plug and play. Pull out the old shroud and put in the new one.

However there seems to be some confusion over whether they are actually plug and play or need a bit of rewiring. If you search this site on google you should find a thread on it, it was only from a few months ago.

Be warned they are noticeably louder than OEM.

Hello,

Thank you all for you posts.

I am excited to hear that some of you are having great success with our fans and shrouds, but I am very unhappy to hear that some of you are having issues. Please feel free to contact us with any issues you are having as all of our products are covered by a lifetime warranty. We can be reached at support@mishimoto.com and will be more then happy to help.

Thank you,

Mishimoto

• 3 weeks later...

No need to spend any money to fix faulty fans if you know the right end of a screwdriver and spanner. You can remove the fan shroud, then remove and split the motors easily... I think there are videos on youtube. The most common cause is dirty/sticking carbon brushes which I had on both my fans meaning they wouldn't work at all! Gave the brushes a clean and small sanding down on the eges so they slid easily in the carriers. Took me about 2-3 hours. Good as new and I didn't have to blow the dust off my wallet.